I'm putting it in your hands

Options
Soccerplyr
Soccerplyr Posts: 160
edited December 2002 in Speakers
Tomorrow I plan on spending a very large amount of money and I'm getting a little nervous. No one in San Diego offers a showroom to audition the LSi9's, but I think based on the reviews here I should feel safe buying them. That being said I would like a little push to ease my nerves. Based on the receiver I have (Onkyo TXDS 595) will I have enough power to run them well. I might upgrade to the 797 or 700. i live in a small apartment so I don't need to play really loud, just want clean sound for HT and DVD-Audio.
My other option is to buy the rti70's which I have heard numerous times.

Please help ease my nerves. Thanks
Jeff
Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
Harmony Hub
Sony VLP-HW40ES
Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
Oppo BDP-103
Music Hall MMF 2.1
Polk LSiM 705
Polk LSiM704c
Polk LSiM702F/X
SVS PB-2000
Post edited by Soccerplyr on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2002
    Options
    plus the onkyo is not rated at 4 ohms olny at 6-16 it gives dinamic power 4 4 ohms i had my 787 running 2 rear surounds off the 6 th channel it ran a little hotter but not 2 hot but it is winter and i have a cold window near the rack so i am going to my old recever that was overheating but i changet my equipment rack a bit so i hope it wont agin
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I had a sense of pride today at work when I sent an Onkyo 989 into Thermal Protect mode running the LSi25's. I had 'just' got to -0! You will love the LSi9's, just remember they have a long break-in.

Where are you buying them at? I was just curious since you said you don't have a local dealer with them.

Are you getting the ebony or cherry finish?
  • Soccerplyr
    edited December 2002
    Options
    There is a company in town that sells them, they just don't have a showroom. They mainly design hometheaters for people and offer them either the LSi's or Krell (I think wasn't interested in other products so I didn't listen to well). I'm getting cold feet. If I do buy it will most definately be cherry. I'm planning on building a flexy stand for my tv to match. They want $1200 out the door for the pair plus center channel. My only concern is that the bug will hit me and I'll want to replace everything I've got. Right now I'm leaning towards the 70's (cherry). I can get a pair of those for around $450, then take my center (cs245i) back to CC and upgrade to the CSI40 and have plenty left over for other toys (more dvd audio discs which are only $14 @CC).
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Options
    You can get the Lsi9's for $655 out of Sherman Oaks, CA. The center from the same company for $360. Total for the three is $1020. Probably even save ya the shipping if you drive up to pick them up out of Sherman Oaks. Even if you had them shipped, they couldn't be that much seeing as you're talkin about a few hours south.

Just a thought.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Soccerplyr
    edited December 2002
    Options
    he said that they'll match internet prices, so I think I can trim another $300 off the price. He wasn't to excited when i asked about returns- replied with " we never have people complain about our products" and then began his speil about home install. I laughed and asked him if they could handle placing them on top of my speakers stands and connecting the speaker cable. I more worried about the reciever. Not really in a position to upgrade both at the sametime. I can get a new 797 for about $500 from a friend who works for CC, but agian not sure if this would be adequate power. Seperates are just to much cash, don't think it can be done for less then $1200. My livingroom / theater room is pretty small (11x10) so I don't think I need to much power anyway. Now I'm rambling!
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Soccerplyr, hey your excited. It's OK. Welcome to the GAME.;)
    Expensive - ya. Upgrade fever never ends. Talking about the Onkyo 797. Great units.. Hope every thing works out. Good Luck!!!!
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    Options
    A 797 would be fine for the 9's. They are much more efficient than the towers.
  • brettw22
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    A 797 would be fine for the 9's. They are much more efficient than the towers.

Even if they're more efficient, they're still rated for 4 ohm and the Onkyo isn't. That alone would be a problem with the draw on the receiver, right?
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Hey guys I hate it when people put out info when they just don't know the F#*IN facts.....I own the 797 it's an awsome unit,and it is rated at 4ohms , you have settings for 4ohms or 6+. I also own the Lsi9's and the LsiC and the unit runs them very well, musically or Ht......
    StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Soccerplyr
    edited December 2002
    Options
    All Onkyo recievers are now switchable to 4 ohms accept the entry level unit. I think I'm going to get the 70's and upgrade my dvd player to the panny 82. Still might get the 797 or 700 but not until next month. I'll keep the 70's for 30 days and if I'm not happy I'll rreturn them. This will give me time to find a place to hear the LSi's and if I feel they are much better, I'll buy them.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2002
    Options
    You'll be fine with the Oink. I can push my 9's pretty damn loud with my 575 and it doesn't even have a 4 Ohm switch(most will recommed leaving it at 8 Ohms). My ears gave up before the receiver when I was rocking with the volume at -16db.

Maurice
  • brettw22
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by STUFFMD
    Hey guys I hate it when people put out info when they just don't know the F#*IN facts.....I own the 797 it's an awsome unit,and it is rated at 4ohms , you have settings for 4ohms or 6+. I also own the Lsi9's and the LsiC and the unit runs them very well, musically or Ht......
    StuffMD

Take a F#*IN pill..........
  • Soccerplyr
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Organ-
    Are you planning on buying the LSiC or are you happy with the 40? How do you feel the timbre matching is between a Rti center and your LSi's? Right now I have the CS245i and was planning on buying the front three. I decided to wait another day AKA the 70's were sold out so I think the universe was telling me I won't be happy knowing that I can have a better polk speaker then the one's I was going to buy. I think I'm going to buy the 9's and wait on the center to see how they match.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • organ
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Soccerplyr,
    I still haven't tried HT since I got the LSi so I still don't know how well they'll match. The LSi have a different sound than the RTi so I'm sure the difference will be audible as the sound moves from the LSi to the CSi. I guess you're doing the right thing by waiting on the center. I'm planning on getting the LSiC after I upgrade to the Rotel RSX-1055. I am so into 2ch music riht now that I'm not thinking about HT much at all. I'm sure you'll be the same once you receive your 9's he he. They're just the most musical speakers I've ever heard. When will you be picking them up?

Maurice
  • Soccerplyr
    edited December 2002
    Options
    When will you be picking them up?

As soon as I can stop changing my mind. Every other hour I've got a new plan, hell today at one point I was just going to buy the 38's!! It sucks knowing that there is something better out there and for not much more money. I like movies (ht) much more then I do music so that kind of makes me think that the 70's would be a good fit. I do love dvd-audio though and make every person I know listen too them. If you've never heard one I would recommend picking one up! Start with Fleetwood Mac Rumours, sounds amazing and I don't even have a dvd-audio player yet. Just use my Philips DVD711!
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • organ
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Sorry man. It's going to be SACD first for me. My favorite band(Cradle of Filth) will be releasing their new album in early 2003 under a new label(Sony) and there is a rumor going around that it will be on one of the SACD hybrid. If it is, I will pick up one of the cheaper single disc sony SACD player. I plan on getting DVD-A in the far future though for some classical stuff.
    The speaker decision will be hard for you. Make sure you ask the dealer if they offer a return policy if you're not satisfied with your purchase.

good luck

Maurice
  • Soccerplyr
    edited December 2002
    Options
    The ability to return them is a must. I'm to anti-sony for SACD, however if they made a player that was price well and played both I'd definately buy it. These decisions are a b@#$h!! What the hell it's only money!
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Soccer,

Check out the new Philips DVD963SA @ $500.00. It replaces their flagship SACD 1000 and will play everything you want.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Soccerplyr
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Pulled the trigger and went with the 70's. Can't wait to get them home! Got a great deal as well which will make other upgrades come faster. The inability to listen to the 9's was the deciding factor. I do have 30 days though so if I can find a place I may still do it.
    Thanks for everyones input!
    Jeff
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22

Take a F#*IN pill..........

Hey Brett....
    Just asking people to get the facts straight....not just you.....People who KNOW Oink units know their a great unit......They have lower line units like everyone else....But I also don't think people who get on these forums come here to be misinformed either........
    Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I have the Onkyo 595 also and I agree it is a great receiver.
    I hope to upgrade to an 898 or 989 someday but for now
    the 595 is working great. It has a 4 ohm setting. I'm using
    SDA1-C's as my fronts, SDA2's as my rears, a CS400i center
    and a 450 sub. I love my system. Should I have my Onkyo set
    to 4 or 8 ohms? I've seen some literature saying the 1-C's
    are 4 ohms but I'm not sure.
    Thanks, Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505