RT2000i or RTi150

arcastro
arcastro Posts: 12
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I have the opportunity to change my speakers from RT2000i to RTi150.

I got my speakers at Circuit City and they have this plan that allows you to change your speakers within one year and receive the full value back so I would get $2000 for the RT2000. This would allow me to get the RTi150 and a sub (Velodyne) for a little more.

This is the setup I currently have:

I have the fxi300 and cs400 for the surrounds and center with a Denon 3802 receiver.

Would it be a good idea to change to the RTi150s with a separate sub??
Post edited by arcastro on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    I would go with the rti150's and a killer sub. IMO
    Sounds like a killer system - if ya got the power.
  • arcastro
    edited December 2002
    if I did go with the Rti150s would you also recommend going with the csi40 center? I can upgrade that also.

Also since polk is giving a psw202 with any purchase of $500 or more would you recommend sticking with polk and getting the psw404 or going with Velodyne.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    if I did go with the Rti150s would you also recommend going with the csi40 center? I can upgrade that also.
    Your cs400 should work well. The csi40 is a bit wider speaker and not as tall. It has the same silk tweeter as the rti150. So you should get a better timber match and a bit more clarity with the new center. It would be an upgrade.

Also since polk is giving a psw202 with any purchase of $500 or more would you recommend sticking with polk and getting the psw404 or going with Velodyne.
    I have yet to here the psw404. I like the look and it seems beefer than past Polk subs. This is tough. I would recommend listening to both and see what your hear best. Polk is not best known for subs. All subs have different sound and then there is placement that makes a big difference.
    A free pws202. I am a fan of having mulitable subs. One up front and one in the back of the theater. To me a loud deep sub makes all the difference and complets a good system so choose a sub that fits your taste. ;)
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited December 2002
    I never heard the 2000s, but I have the 150s and csi40 center. I am very pleased!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2002
    I'd recommend getting the RTi 150s and the CSi40, but try and get CC to demo them well for you with things you like to listen to. Since you're thinking of taking the 2000i speakers back you can ask them to A/B compare for you in the sound room. To me the RTi 150s put out a much tighter, controlled sound with improved bass that's good for all kinds of music. Even acoustic guitar sounds great on them. I'm using a Denon 3803 and a Rotel amplifier. You can put 500 watts per channel into the RTi 150s. Another reason to consider is that eventually the sub amps in the powered towers will go bad. I've never had a problem with the amps, but the warranty is longer on the Polk drivers than on the electronics. I recommend the new center channel over a Polk subwoofer because you can apply the $199 offer to the center speaker, it uses the same drivers as the RTi 150s, and it matches well with them. To me the CS400 looked out of place in front. I moved mine to the back of the room to use as the rear back surround. I have RT1000Ps as the back surrounds. It appears that Polk changed the drivers more substantially this time around than last time.

I can't recommend buying a new Polk subwoofer as they actually don't go as low as the main speakers. Hopefully Polk is working on an improved 650 that's shielded. I am using my PSW450 subwoofer but want to get a deeper one, maybe Definitive or Paradigm. If I do I'd most likely keep the 450 and hook it up in line with the back surrounds. Velodyne would work, but may not be as "musical" as some other subwoofers. Depends on your preference though. Good luck, and take a friend with you or wear a back brace!
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited December 2002
    keep the 2000i or go crazy and get some SDA's :D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2002
    velo is a little slower sub better suted for movies but the polks are a little fafter but dont go as deep i have the velo ct 120 with is about the same as the cht 12 with some new clading i love the velo for what i paied i got alot 320 out the door cant beat that to sunerise velo os a great ht sub and food at music and the polk is good at music but dont go low and ok at ht but dont go low

if you want the best of both worlds and can use power tools you can make a sub it is very easy and can be done in a weekend and you get alot of bang for the buck you can make 2 svs clones with the stryke audio av12 at 175 a driveror go with the av 15 for 205 and 300 for the amp 2 chanel and about 50 for the materals per sub
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by Emlyn Hopefully Polk is working on an improved 650 that's shielded [/B]

The PSW505, coming soon to a store near you. Haven't heard it myself, but I've been told it's nice. ;)
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited December 2002
    i have the 2000i's and I never even thought of changing them out. I'm not happy with the new style polk RTi line.... and my 2000i's work wonders with my CT150 :):lol:
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited December 2002
    arcastro,

welcome to the forum. I went to Circuit City the other day looking
    for some LSi speakers. which they did not carry. While I was there
    I checked out the RTi 150's I personally wouldn't trade my RT1000's in for them to me it's basically the same thing. I bet the 2000's and RTi 150's are even closer. If you're not looking at the LSi line you might as well keep what you got.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited December 2002
  • arcastro
    edited January 2003
    Thanks for the responses. I went with the RTi150s and a Velodyne CHT10. It sounds great.:D
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited January 2003
    Glad to hear someone else likes the 150s! I have the DefTech200 sub but found my setup sounds better to me for 2 channel without any sub at all.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited January 2003
    I'm glad to see some fans of the 150s too. I've seen a lot of hoopla about the new LSi series, but the RTi series is far from dead. I'm glad Polk is supporting the line with new models because I use a pair of RT1000p towers as left and right surrounds and a pair of RT55i "bookshelf" speakers for the back channel. The RTi series is still great for home theater use and the 150s are good for 2 channel music use also. I also don't use a subwoofer for 2 channel sound. The 150s are clean by themselves and go as low as many subwoofers can. Congratulations on your purchase, arcastro. Mine sound better every day as they're breaking in.