audio equipment decisions

Options
vawakemonster
vawakemonster Posts: 131
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
well right now Im in the process of obtaining a new truck and I was just wondering what equipent should I plan on getting in the near future. I want to eventually compete in SQ competitions, I know im going to need alot of new equipement thats why I want ot learn the ropes and build my first system or two for my and my brothers vehicles before I go for the cheese.

Right now I have a momo 10 inch amplifier 4 rockford 6by8s and a pioneer HU.

I plan on putting in a component set and buying an MTX amp to power this and then peaving coaxials behind the seats for fill in.

but what other equipment should I Plan on adding/upgrading in what order to achieve a stereo that will achieve ballance and beautiful sound?

also is there a 6.5 2 way speaker that would sound anywhere near a component set or should I opt for a set of polk or boston components.

thanks for all your help guys. eventually I hope to be as knowledgeable as you people.
Dodge Dakota
HU: Pioneer
Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
Subwoofer: polk mm2104
Post edited by vawakemonster on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Dump the rear speakers.

Get the best set of component speakers that you can afford. That is the most important part!

Get a processor! These things are vital if youre wanting to compete. You have to have independant control over all channels and as broad an EQ as possible.

Dynamat, Dynamat and more Dynamat. You can never have enough of this stuff.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • vawakemonster
    edited January 2007
    Options
    so will it sound bad if I have one set of components (2 mids and 2 tweeters) and a sub what set should I look at for 75 RMS momo? or DB? I am using my highschool years as a base to learn all about this stuff I dont plan on competing for a few years. I am jsut saying once i learnt he ropes I could be interested in competing.
    Dodge Dakota
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The rule for all audio gear ESPECIALLY speakers is to get the best set you can afford.

If you can afford $300, get the Momos. If you can swing $750, get the SR's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Theres also a few other brands out there that have quality drivers. Try to listen to as many of them as you can.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2007
    Options
    or go the diy route
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • vawakemonster
    edited January 2007
    Options
    exalted512, you mean build drivers?
    Dodge Dakota
  • exalted512
    edited January 2007
    Options
    not necessarily build drivers, but you can get different drivers from different companies that are not necessarily big brand names.

Morel, peerless, scanspeak, etc. www.diymobile.com has an abundance of information. You can get great speakers for really cheap.
    -Cody
  • vawakemonster
    edited January 2007
    Options
    exalted512, that site takes me to some chinese site called yeah mobile.

I have two R20s and a pioneer reciever for my computer sound/dvd player in my room and both speakers are at ear level 3 feet from each ear when sitting down and the music sounds so phenominal! is there a component set that would soun as nice inside a car? and for components id like to stay at the 300 range seeing as I am still in highschool and saving money for cellege.
    Dodge Dakota
  • exalted512
    edited January 2007
    Options
    sorry, its www.diymobileaudio.com

Forgot the audio. I really really suggest you get a bucket of sludge from second skin. http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?pg=2&p=ps

Its the 2nd product down. Itll cost you like $60 but itll make your components sound 10x better. All it is is sound deadener but of liquid form. The stuff works fantastic.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-374
    http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=6985215.15522&pid=2124

Thats going to give you pretty damn good sound. If you do not have the ability to go active, you can pick up a pair of these crossovers
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-142

Thats going to give you great sound at a great price, I used to run those midbasses in my truck for a couple of weeks before I got my current speakers, they are no slouch
    -Cody
  • vawakemonster
    edited January 2007
    Options
    for the sludge would I coat my entire door?

"If you do not have the ability to go active" <-what does this mean?

will that set of speakers sound good with my momo 10 inch? with that cross over and those speakers whats the impedence?
    Dodge Dakota
  • exalted512
    edited January 2007
    Options
    yes, youd coat as much as you can anyway, which that bucket would probably do all of both front doors.

Active is where you do not have passive crossovers. For instance, if you dont have a really nice radio like the pioneer 880 and/or a really nice processor, youll have to go with the pass crossovers.

That set would match up to your momo well, and I believe both of those drivers have a 4 ohm impedance
    -Cody
  • vawakemonster
    edited January 2007
    Options
    so both the mid and tweet hooked up to the tweeter would present a 4 ohmn load? to the amp

so whats the difference with active and passive? active is more accurate? how much more would an active one cost then a passive one and other then price would it present any difference in inpedience?
    Dodge Dakota
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Also, I would recommend www.secondskinaudio.com over dynamat. Ive used 80sq ft of it and am gonna need 40 more! SO easy to work with too.