Cleaning sticky drivers in SDAs

Options
Refefer
Refefer Posts: 1,280
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Alas, I love to listen to my speakers in the nude (the speakers, not myself) and I'm concerned about how to maintain the stickiness of the driver while de-dusting the midranges which have accumulated loads of dust.

Any thoughts? Does the stickiness matter (which I suspect it does)? What do you vintage owners think?
Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
Rotel RB-980BX,
OPPO DV-970HD,
Lite Audio DAC AH,
IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
Creek Audio 5350 SE,
Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
HRT Music Streamer II
Post edited by Refefer on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Clean them with a soft, lint free cotton cloth and Windex. Apply the Windex to the cloth, not the drivers. Wipe in a circular motion. Once clean, put your grill covers back on to prevent the dust from accumulating again. If you're watching the drivers move, you're not getting the full experience from your music.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Options
    No, I don't do it because I like to "watch" the drivers... I doubt they do since I listen to mostly acoustic sets. I just feel that some of the details are dampened due to the cloth.

I'll give the windex a try.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • F1nut
    edited January 2007
    Options
    In that case, you might consider upgrading the crossovers and replacing the grill cloth with a more acoustically transparent type.

The Windex works, even makes the rubber surrounds look better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2007
    Options
    A little bit of armour-all on the rubber-edges makes them shiney and black looking. Doesn't hurt a thing if applied sparingly.
  • beef316
    beef316 Posts: 154
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I would be afraid that the windex would dry the drivers out.
    2004 IASCA Spring Break Nationals Champion - Amateur Street
    2003 IASCA World Finals Runner Up - Amateur Street
    Certified IASCA Judge
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2007
    Options
    what happened to the "eye of bat and toe of newt" method? :D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • F1nut
    edited January 2007
    Options
    A little bit of armour-all on the rubber-edges makes them shiney and black looking. Doesn't hurt a thing if applied sparingly.

Applied even once, the damage is done.

I would be afraid that the windex would dry the drivers out.

Well, I wouldn't do it more than once every few years or more, but I haven't seen or heard of any ill effects. The difference between the two is that Windex evaporates immediately and leaves no residue. Armor All leaves a residue that actually attracts dirt and dust and has been proven to remove the natural oils from rubber based materials.

President of Club Polk

• SLIPKIK
    SLIPKIK Posts: 4
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Refefer wrote:
    No, I don't do it because I like to "watch" the drivers... I doubt they do since I listen to mostly acoustic sets. I just feel that some of the details are dampened due to the cloth.

I'll give the windex a try.
    Try this, with the grills off,put on some AC/DC and crank it up. Trust me the dust will be on the floor.
  • rskarvan
    edited January 2007
    Options
    F1, applied even once, the damage is done.

What damage???
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Armor-All isn't so hot. Use it long enough on your car and the interior will start coming apart. Professionals won't use the stuff.

Rubber surrounds don't need any kind of treatment. Just keep them clean.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Ron, Armor All leaves a residue that actually attracts dirt and dust and has been proven to remove the natural oils from rubber based materials.

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Keep Your Car Looking Like New with Armor All® Original Protectant.

Guards against UV damage
    Renews and restores surface appearance
    Protects against discoloration and fading
    Slows the aging process
    For rubber, plastic and vinyl

Clean, shine and protect your car's rubber, vinyl and plastic with Armor All® Protectant. Its special formula creates a protective barrier to block harmful elements like UV and oxidation that can damage, fade and discolor surfaces. At the same time, it penetrates to condition and slow the aging process. So it transforms the look of your car to new.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Pure ad hype. As John pointed out, the pro's won't use it. 'Nuff said.

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Agreed. Nuff said.