RT3 mdf boxes

Options
bestguy7
bestguy7 Posts: 1
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
My daughter blew out both woofers on my 10 yr. old RT3s. The tweeters and crossovers survived. Is it worth replacing the woofers at $60.00 each from Polk? Should I look for replacements on the web? I can buy R15s for $77.00 a pair at a local audio store. Is the RT3 box superior, so that I can put the R15 speakers in the RT3 boxes? Or should I just throw out the damaged RT3s?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Post edited by bestguy7 on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I have a pair of RT3's and they're great little speakers. Have you checked on e-bay to see what they go for? I haven't, but if yours are in good cosmetic shape, an option might be to try and purchase a pair used (less than perfect, cheap), swap the woofers into yours and then part out the rest. It might not make much financial sense to put $120 into them, but then again, I think they would be tough to beat, new, for $120.

I doubt that using R15 drivers in the RT3 box would be a good idea. I don't think you'd gain anything over the R15, and making the ports and tuning work properly would be a hassle.

If you decide not to repair them, be sure to offer the parts for sale on the forum!

Jason