Polk "reference" in the 80's?

phuz
phuz Posts: 2,372
edited December 2002 in Speakers
I was telling someone about the LSi line and someone piped in with this:

"Trust me on this. YOU MUST get the Paradigm line (Any one of their series) of speakers. They are reasonably priced and they sound fantastic. They won numerous awards. Polk Audio Blows. I had a line if their "reference" speakers back in the 80's....Wasn't impressed. I believed their bogus ads."

Did Polk even make "reference" speakers in the 80's or is he just talking about SDA's?
Post edited by phuz on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2002
    He's talking about the SDA's. Paradigm's aren't bad speakers, but there is nothing like some SDA's to put a :D on your face.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited December 2002
    The top SDA models (SDA SRS, SDA SRS 1.2, SDA SRS 1.2TL, SDA SRS 2.3, etc.) had the designation "SRS" in the model nunber. SRS-Signature Reference System.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Can someone tell me what the definition of a "reference" speaker is?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited December 2002
    In “reference” to the main designer’s vision of their ultimate product.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited December 2002
    Polk..........Paradigm.........whatever!!
    "Trust me on this. YOU MUST get the Paradigm line (Any one of their series) of speakers. They are reasonably priced and they sound fantastic. They won numerous awards. Polk Audio Blows. I had a line if their "reference" speakers back in the 80's....Wasn't impressed. I believed their bogus ads."
    This is one persons opnion on Polk and Paradigm.I personally think both companies make nice speakers,I favor Polk if you can't figure that out.

Reference is used alot more today then ever.It seemd like everyones stuff is Reference.**** the entire RT line is considered Reference.Is it???I don't know do you????
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    I thought that reference was a very high standard. Something that was maybe judged or labled by a certain set of specs. Like reference levels, etc.

I know Paradigm is good stuff, but I can also tell this guy has some issues. Thanks for the answers. This will allow my replie(s) to him to be a bit more eduacated. :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2002
    Reference in this case would imply, "Benchmark."
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk