SDA bass brace

Options
Audio D
Audio D Posts: 5
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I am in the process of remodeling my basement and when I'm finished my newly acquired SDA 1.2's will be center stage. Is there any advantage to using the bass braces that came with the speakers? I would prefer not use them, but if there is a clear sonic advantage I'll use them.
Post edited by Audio D on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I am sure there is a sonic advantage if anchored correctly (if they are connected in the wrong place they might create problems instead of benefits), but many owners do not use the braces. I didn't use them in mine and was happy with the overall performance. Bass is earth shaking :)

If you see inconvenient to use them, go without them.

Welcome to the forum.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    Options
    i think the bass brace was also designed to keep the heavy SDA"s from tipping over.. as well as help the bass response.. i don't use one either. but then i don't have children to knock them over either.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2007
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    i think the bass brace was also designed to keep the heavy SDA"s from tipping over.. as well as help the bass response.. i don't use one either. but then i don't have children to knock them over either.

I think that if that was part of the design, all the big SRS's would have the brace, and this is not the case. For sure it would help, but those speakers are stable enough and heavy enough that tipping them over is not an easy task.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • danger boy
    edited January 2007
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    I think that if that was part of the design, all the big SRS's would have the brace, and this is not the case. For sure it would help, but those speakers are stable enough and heavy enough that tipping them over is not an easy task.

why would some SRS's have the brace and other's not? I agree they do not tip over easily.. but would you want 190lbs of wood falling on your 2 yr old? :confused:
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2007
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    why would some SRS's have the brace and other's not? I agree they do not tip over easily.. but would you want 190lbs of wood falling on your 2 yr old? :confused:

I don't know, but the original SRS don't have it, and no, I wouldn't like 190 pounds to fall over a child or the dog.....Just saying that that's not the purpose of the brace, and that tipping them will not be easy, and impossible for a two yr old, or the dog (or your cat) :confused::confused:

SOPA
  • danger boy
    edited January 2007
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    I don't know, but the original SRS don't have it, and no, I wouldn't like 190 pounds to fall over a child or the dog.....Just saying that that's not the purpose of the brace, and that tipping them will not be easy, and impossible for a two yr old, or the dog (or your cat) :confused::confused:

agreed.. :D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I think it tightens up the bass. Not a huge impact but a worthy benefit. Also, it's easier to use the braces than the spikes. The spikes will make it almost impossible to move those big SDA's without damaging the floor or mutilating your foot.
    Carl

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,719
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I always thought the brace was to keep the speakers from rocking slightly, due to the movement of all those drivers. Therefore keeping the mids and highs clearer.

Who knows...
  • danger boy
    edited January 2007
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:

HEY! are you saying my cat is a wuss? :p
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I always thought the brace was to keep the speakers from rocking slightly, due to the movement of all those drivers. Therefore keeping the mids and highs clearer.

We have a winner!

Only the TL series (and maybe the 1.2) came with the bass brace......one of the improvements of the later models.

And the 2.3's. Thanks guys.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The 2.3 model with the donut drivers have them also.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The 2.3 model with the donut drivers have them also.

Yup, I've got the bass brace on the 2.3's.
    Carl

• tugboat
    tugboat Posts: 393
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I gave up trying to figure out the "exact" use of the bass braces. I have 1.2TLs and the bracing parts are still in their original bag. At first I was told the brace was needed to improve low end response, then told that spikes did the same thing and finally told that the brace was meant to control the movement caused by bass. That the brace would stiffen the cabinet and therefore allow the low and mid bass to be reproduced more faithfully.

I got my 1.2TL's with metal stands/legs and use spikes with them. Am very happy with the bass, but never been able to compare with the braces as I can't move them closer to the rear wall than 26". I know they need to be closer to the rear wall in general, but not gonna happen. I use my PSW-650 to fill in the lows for now.

Wish I could say for certain that the brace actually servered a purpose, but with what I know, it's still un-certain.
    Driver carries only 20 dollars in ammunition

Pedestrians have the right of way, unless they are in the way
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Help your mids and highs with the "Bass Brace". No wonder the SDAs died............marketing dept. killed 'em.:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • tugboat
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I am also confused as to the "death" of the SDA line, but there are a few things that I believe helped to bring about their end.

1. All but a few people/friends I know, and or, care about stereo. Seems most have never truely experienced a properly setup system and are happy to go through life in a "MONO" mode.

2. SDA (to me) gives the best soundstage no matter the media. I can get praise of the 1.2TLs playing a K-Tel record from '76. Again, for many, it seems that if you give them access to music they will run with it even if they are sad MP3s at 128 and missing much of the sonic impact, etc. If they can listen to crap and love it, they'd never get SDA.

3. The vintage SDA line is dominated by monster units. I know mine could sound better than they do if I had the ideal room for them, but I don't. I have them set the best my room will allow. I use them for my HT with a CS-5, two LSI/FX dipoles for the sides and two RT-800is for rear. Can't say this setup for movies doesn't give me a woody, but I know it could be better, but it would still focus around the SDAs.

4. Requirements of the SDAs scare many. Large, room requirements, etc. Being a male I don't deny that seeing such a large speaker makes me grin. Being single I can get away with having them, but all but one ex GF complained about the size of them.

5. At the time of the SDA's there was little knowledge in the area of power. Anyone that dared to look at amp power levels was faced with specs beyond their understanding. They could go out and buy an EQ for their car that claimed 300 or more watts. If you read the manual closely you'd know that the 300 was peak and the RMS was lower (much lower) and the distortion was shocking. For those looking towards home use with the SDAs looked at what was needed wattagewise and many abandoned the SDAs to save money and/or making the wrong setup.

Just a few reasons I see. Might be wrong on some/all, but I'll stick to it. SDA is the only way to go and I want to be burried with mine and playing AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and any OZZY with Randy Rhodes. :)

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

• F1nut
    edited January 2007
    Options
    At first I was told the brace was needed to improve low end response, then told that spikes did the same thing and finally told that the brace was meant to control the movement caused by bass. That the brace would stiffen the cabinet and therefore allow the low and mid bass to be reproduced more faithfully.

I fail to see what the confusion is, all comments point to the same result, better reproduction of the music. By anchoring it to the wall or the floor, all the frequencies improve. Bass gets tighter, mids are more pronunced and highs are clearer. Polk, being the great speaker company they are, gave you a choice.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited January 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    We have a winner!

Only the TL series (and maybe the 1.2) came with the bass brace......one of the improvements of the later models.

Yes, 1.2's have them as well. Got those installed (with permission, of course! :)) by pointing out the reasons stated above which were the same ones stated in the owner's manual.
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • tugboat
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Well excuse me if I'm a bit confused on its use. You state that the replies here point to the same result. With all the past input ranging from the brace using the wall to increase bass, the brace keeping the cabinet still during heavy bass, the brace used to assure proper vertical alignment, etc.... Now I read other reasons here to add to my list. If the brace covers all those areas, great (no more confusion). If it doesn't cover all those uses, then I need/would like a definitive answer on its exact affect if possible. Then my confusion will be gone and I can put my wondering to rest.

Thanks

• Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited January 2007
    Options
    fact :For good bass responce you must have 1 or the other on speakers spikes or braces if the cabinet moves even slightly the frequency reproduction suffers. sometime you cant hear the difference sometimes you can depends on who you are..... and wether or not your hold a rta in your hands
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • F1nut
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The definitive answer is, "By anchoring it to the wall or the floor, all the frequencies improve."

President of Club Polk

• shoester5
    shoester5 Posts: 51
    edited January 2007
    Options
    When I went to audition my 2.3TL’s, the previous owner had the bass braces installed. After getting them home and setting them in their resting place, I refused to use the braces only because I couldn’t believe (or understand how) they served any purpose. Well, I was wrong. After much time listening without the braces, I decided to install them and give them a try (One Saturday afternoon without anything to do). What a difference they made. Not only did they tighten up the bass but also improved both midrange and treble and made the soundstage sound even wider. I think they work by better securing the cabinets resulting in less vibration and a much cleaner sound.

Here is a quote straight from the owner’s manual:

“Low bass response can be enhanced in impact and definition by use of either the included Bass Brace or spikes. The purpose of these accessories is to couple the speaker to either the wall or thickly carpeted floor more securely to minimize the potential of low frequency energy being affected by cabinet movement. The Bass Brace, while more permanent, is the more effective of the two.”

Leave it to Polk for always trying to improve the sound of their speakers. I always thought of Polk Audio of being unconventional and the Bass Brace is definitely unconventional.
    shoester5
    sub: M & K MX90
    Carver CT29V
    Carver TLM-3600
    Carver TFM-35X
    2-Carver TFM-15CB
    Carver TFM-6CB
    Denon DP51F
    DBX 3BX
    AudioControl C-101
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    Options
    shoester5 wrote:
    When I went to audition my 2.3TL’s, the previous owner had the bass braces installed. After getting them home and setting them in their resting place, I refused to use the braces only because I couldn’t believe (or understand how) they served any purpose. Well, I was wrong. After much time listening without the braces, I decided to install them and give them a try (One Saturday afternoon without anything to do). What a difference they made. Not only did they tighten up the bass but also improved both midrange and treble and made the soundstage sound even wider. I think they work by better securing the cabinets resulting in less vibration and a much cleaner sound.

Here is a quote straight from the owner’s manual:

“Low bass response can be enhanced in impact and definition by use of either the included Bass Brace or spikes. The purpose of these accessories is to couple the speaker to either the wall or thickly carpeted floor more securely to minimize the potential of low frequency energy being affected by cabinet movement. The Bass Brace, while more permanent, is the more effective of the two.”

Leave it to Polk for always trying to improve the sound of their speakers. I always thought of Polk Audio of being unconventional and the Bass Brace is definitely unconventional.

I just hooked up my rig Wednesday night . . . last night I screwed four MYE Sound points (brass spikes) to each my 1.2 TLs and just for kicks put a 25 lb bag of lead shot on top of each one. I got the same results as you described above. . . however when I really get down to tweaking out this rig and room, I'm going to try the bass braces. . .if it works better than what I have now I will be very surprised.