No Affiliation But.......

Options
George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited January 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Audioadvisor.com is blowing out what they claim is a $1,500 Boston Acoustics 6.1 system with 5 sats, center, and 10" powered sub for $199. According to the text the sats are good down to 150 cycles. That means the sub has to go up that high and there may be some localization problems with the sub. For people on a tight budget it might be liveable.

And there's a new deb on the cover of the magazine, but she's not as desireable as the brunette of yore.
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    Options
    That's a helluva good deal for a small system in a small space or as you say George for someone on a budget.
    And there's a new deb on the cover of the magazine, but she's not as desirable as the brunette of yore.

I noticed that too! Damn disappointing! Maybe she's working on her tan for the Summer issue
    Carl

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I think she's kinda cute actually.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Not that I would get them for myself, but I can't find nuthin on their website. Maybe its already blown out?
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I'd hit it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I am with George the new blonde is two points down on looks, she may have other skills not yet revealed.

RT1
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2007
    Options
    They are gone, the ad's been out about 6 weeks now, maybe 2 months.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I almost pulled the trigger on those (Russman told me about them), but they didn't offer free shipping on clearance sale items, even though it says free shipping on deals over $100 or something.

I got frustrated/angry and gave up before confirming payment. But, at the time, I thought it was an awesome deal that I could buy and pass along to one of my friends.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited January 2007
    Options
    That system was similar to the Polk DS7200 in that it had a separate pre-pro/DVD player and all the amps were built into the sub.

The OEM electronics manufacturer of the original system pulled out, and BA supposedly developed some kind of special adaptor to hook an AVR up to the amps in the subs to blow out remaining stock at AA.

Not really sure if a pre-pro would work with the adaptor though.:confused:
  • George Grand
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The flyer got here yesterday. Troy would hit it. LARGE surprise.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    They have a lot of items on clearance.....tubes anyone???

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1ASWAAV25

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I bought 2 sets of those speakers.
    There's a typo on their description. The monitors are not powered only the sub is.
    I made a 7.2 system for the bedroom using the 2 sets bought.
    They sound great. no localization problems. The only issue i have is that the subwoofers are hard to set up properly because of a lack of controls on them. I connected the speakers to my marantz sr8001 receiver and let the audissey auto setup do it's magic. then i set the crossover to 150 and set the speakers to small. that took care of the sub setup. I adjusted the 7.1 direct input sub output to -5 db and that took care of multichannel music. So far these speakers sound excellent with stereo,multi channel music and movies.
    I highly recommend them for anyone on a budject. They look good too.
    Another small issue with the speakers is that they come with 24 gauge speaker wire terminated into a special plug on both sides. I upgraded the cables to 14 ga flat speaker cables and reused the special plugs.
    This minor tweak made a huge difference.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • George Grand
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Thanks for posting the skinny on those Ed. The magazine sure leads you to believe everything is powered.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I initially bought 1 set. I was so impressed with their sound, i bought a second set. The sub alone is worth $200.00
    Here's a link to the sound and vision magazine review:
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/av/676/boston-acoustics-avidea-770-home-entertainment-system.html
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    Options
    ESAVINON wrote:
    I initially bought 1 set. I was so impressed with their sound, i bought a second set. The sub alone is worth $200.00

This is why they're sold out! Ed bought them all!:D
    Carl

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I checked the site up and down after I got the catalog as well, hoping to find a set. No dice....

Always a good deal around the next corner too.... :)
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,258
    edited January 2007
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    They have a lot of items on clearance.....tubes anyone???

Looking at the Antique Sound Wave AV-25 tube mono amp:

...shows the following specs:
    Output power: 25 w
    Frequency Response at 1W: 160 Hz - 13,600 Hz + 1 dB
    Frequency Response at full power: 20 Hz - 12,100 Hz + 1 dB
    Distortion at 1W: 0.7%
    Distortion at full power: 3%

I'm just curious, and thought I'd ask you tube guys (gals ?):
    At minimum power (1 watt), is the freq response kind of on the narrow side ?
    The highs roll off at 13,600 hz, and the low end heads south at 160 hz.

The low price of $233.25 sort of falls into the "Get-just-to-play-with" category, but .... what would/could you do with it ?
    The high rolls too soon for a tweeter, and the low dies too soon for a mid-range driver.
    Or am I missing something ?

:confused:
    Sal Palooza
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Dang, I'm looking for a deal exactly of this type. My large HT gear was dislocated to the basement and I can hardly tolerate the built in speakers of the Hitachi. Please post if any come available or similar deal is found.

Thanks
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Looking at the Antique Sound Wave AV-25 tube mono amp:

...shows the following specs:
    Output power: 25 w
    Frequency Response at 1W: 160 Hz - 13,600 Hz + 1 dB
    Frequency Response at full power: 20 Hz - 12,100 Hz + 1 dB
    Distortion at 1W: 0.7%
    Distortion at full power: 3%

I'm just curious, and thought I'd ask you tube guys (gals ?):
    At minimum power (1 watt), is the freq response kind of on the narrow side ?
    The highs roll off at 13,600 hz, and the low end heads south at 160 hz.

The low price of $233.25 sort of falls into the "Get-just-to-play-with" category, but .... what would/could you do with it ?
    The high rolls too soon for a tweeter, and the low dies too soon for a mid-range driver.
    Or am I missing something ?

:confused:
    You are missing something: it's a tube amp. Tube amps, almost without exception (ime), have horrible stats. I'm running (or rather was...'till I broke a binding post) ASL Wave-20, which are the 'ancestors' of the Wave-25. When I had them I biamped my Klipsch, using my Wave 8's on the tweeter. I also experimented using just the Wave-20's on the Klipsch; they sounded just fine.

And that price of $233 is just for one. Since it's a monoblock, you're looking at $466 for a pair. Not really that cheap, if you ask me.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    And that price of $233 is just for one. Since it's a monoblock, you're looking at $466 for a pair. Not really that cheap, if you ask me.

I think it is a great price to get into tube monoblocks.... I'd love to have a pair of these driving a pair of 7A's.....

Agree on specs; don't look at specs on a tubed amp :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The freq response specs are way off, esp for the 1 w rating.