Polk M10 Refinish

Options
athos56
athos56 Posts: 14
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/45669304/
http://athos56.deviantart.com/gallery/scraps/

I needed a project for my winter break so I refinished and revived my Monitor 10's. I replaced the crossover, made the speaker bi-wireable, added some felt around the tweeter dome and reveneered in a maple with a colonial maple stain. I'm going to put an Ivory grill cloth on when the fabric comes in, I'll post more pic's after I'm done. Finished one speaker, now I need to start the other speaker. My arm is about to fall off from all of the sanding. :D
Post edited by athos56 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Looks nice!

What and why are you sanding?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited December 2006
    Options
    That is one gorgeous speaker. Love what you did with it. How long did then entire process take? Are you the original owner? What was wrong with the original veneer that told you to take on this project?

My mother always told me I should of been a lawyer.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • athos56
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I picked these up a while ago, I think I'm the 3rd owner. I stripped the old veneer and filled the imperfections with putty, then sanded it down. The new veneer was then put on one panel at a time with about a 1/4th of an inch overhang on all sides which was trimmed and sanded down flat. They didn't "need" new veneer but they just look great. Tomorrow I'm finishing it with a satin polyurethane. Total time about 3 days. Stripped both speakers in an afternoon with a heat gun, ~2 hours watching TV. Crossover and wiring took the rest of the day. Measuring/Cutting/Gluing/Ironing/Trimming/Sanding/Staining ~ 2 days with many breaks to let stuff dry, go shopping, watch TV. This was my first time so I went slow. Oh add in time to figure out that the white positive wire going into the stock polk crossover from the terminal comes out of the crossover as a black wire to the speakers and the black negitive wire turns into a white negitive wire. Talk about a headache
    Thanks for the comments!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited December 2006
    Options
    So, you're sore from sanding the cabinets before applying the veneer? Two words, power sander. :)

Any shops around you that would spray a nice lacquer finish on them? It will look nicer and be much easier to repair down the road.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• athos56
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I'll have to check on that. :)
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Very nice! Good luck with the second speaker! You may want to consider building some stands to match. Look Here
    Carl

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2007
    Options
    They look great!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Wow, amazing, makes me wanna do my M10 M5 M5JR over. I really wish there was a way I could do them in a gloss piano black finish
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The easiest way to get a gloss piano black finish is to use plastic. Go to a cabinent or home improvement store. You can buy the stuff in sheet and use it like veneer.
    Carl

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    The easiest way to get a gloss piano black finish is to use plastic. Go to a cabinent or home improvement store. You can buy the stuff in sheet and use it like veneer.

So just peel the old veneer off and apply that? Any idea what the actual name is so I know what I'm looking for?
  • athos56
    edited January 2007
    Options
    A heat gun made removing the stock veneer a snap. I did some listening this morning, now that both of my recapped speakers are operational. Vs the stock caps the clarity caps are more forward, but not much, maybe due to less resistance in the cap's themselves. The xylophone on one of my Mile Davis CD's went from being veiled, or maybe warm?? to being crisp and exact without being harsh. I'm thinking they will mellow out a bit when they break in but in my amature opinion they sound way better. Due to 3 tweeks being done at once Recapp/Bi-wire/tweeter felt I can't really say how affective each was at changing the sound of the speaker. If I do anything else to these it might be replacing the 6500 drivers due to some age related warping in the cone.