An inexpensive Receiver

Options
Mjr7531
Mjr7531 Posts: 856
edited January 2007 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Hello all, I'm in college now, and I'm looking to get some sound back in my room. I'd like to get an inexpensive receiver to push a stereo setup. Thanks!
Post edited by Mjr7531 on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    Options
    How inexpensive?

Denon, Harman Kardon (checkout harmanaudio.com), Onkyo, Sony and Yamaha all make inexpensive receivers. For the money and for the intended use, if you want real inexpensive this one at Amazon might be a good choice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002EPWC0/ref=pd_cp_e_title/103-9619097-2024618
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    Options
    that's REALLY inexpensive.. Shack....
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    Options
    look for used... on Craigslist in your neck of the woods.. no shipping costs.. save some $ that way. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    that's REALLY inexpensive.. Shack....

Yeah it is...but inexpensive is relative I guess. That's why I asked "How inexpensive?" FWIW...there are 197 reviews of this receiver on CircuitCity.com and most are generally possitive. I have two kids in college and I KNOW what their dorm room and condo look like. I would be hard pressed to recommend anything more "refined" for that environment. Sherwood over the years has made some decent equipment. You gotta think this has to be better than a boombox or mini system. Maybe I'm wrong...but it seemed like a pretty good option.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2006
    Options
    http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio

I purchased an AVR-235 for about $210 shipped. The main reason I picked this reliever over others is that it has excellent preamp outputs. It would more than suffice for a dorm room, and later you can add separate amps for a much improved sound in a larger environment. The receiver is very future resistant.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Avalon
    Avalon Posts: 144
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Mjr7531 wrote:
    Hello all, I'm in college now, and I'm looking to get some sound back in my room. I'd like to get an inexpensive receiver to push a stereo setup. Thanks!

Ahoy,

I have the perfect system for you to get started into audio nirvana. It's a Rotel system that is a few years old, but in great shape. Here's what I have:

Rotel RB-870BX amp, 100W or bridgeable to a 300W mono
    Rotel RC-850 preamp
    Rotel RT-850A tuner

Rotel Fronts.jpg

I'd like to get $350 for the set. Let me know if you're interested and I can forward more pictures. Also, I'm located in Columbus and travel to Cleveland frequently on business. If we come to an agreement, I could probably deliver it.

Thanks.