Center Channel Mounting Ideas???

Options
FJ Merlin
FJ Merlin Posts: 2
edited January 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hey guys, Im new here. Just wanted to know if anyone here had any creative ideas for me to mount my CSi5 center channel speaker. The speaker is about 30 pounds, 18 inches deep about 24 inches wide.
I would love to do a thick piece of tempered glass but I dont know where to find a piece that big, I also dont know where to find brackets that can handle that much weight.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Merlin
Post edited by FJ Merlin on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

What type of TV do you have? I have a Sony LCD and found a nice OmniMount set-top mount at (of all places) Radio Shack. Holds my Klipsch center of equal weight/size as yours securely, plus looks good.

Link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2111008&cp=&origkw=center+speaker+mount&kw=center+speaker+mount&parentPage=search
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I used that Omnimount on my DLP and the weight of the speaker on the back of the unit caused the image to distort. The geometry of the image was messed up.
  • johnADA
    johnADA Posts: 98
    edited December 2006
    Options
    The brackets I have listed in the for sale section, if stud mounted and not to the dry wall, would hold that weight. My center I had on it , along with the old ladies attempt to hide it somewhat, went 35+ lbs and I had it stud mounted.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I use THIS over my 61" DLP and all is well.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Consider a center channel stand.

Also, you can buy tempered glass shelves at a crafts store or a glass shop for cheap.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    I used that Omnimount on my DLP and the weight of the speaker on the back of the unit caused the image to distort. The geometry of the image was messed up.

I'm lucky I guess, 75% of the weight of my center (Klipsch RC-3II) is supported by the part of the OmniMount resting on the TV. The telescoping legs carry very little weight.
  • FJ Merlin
    FJ Merlin Posts: 2
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the responses guys. I actually stopped at CC on the way home Friday and picked up the Omnimount. The pivot legs were to short for my Samsung HLP5085 so I jimmy rigged it so I could use both extension arms, this worked out perfectly. I also pulled the grill off the front of my CSi5, put the speaker on the Omnimount and pushed it all the way forward againt the lip that holds the components secure, then put the grill back on. Looks very nice, cant even tell there is a shelf up there.
    But after reading Shizelbs post about the DLP picture being effected, it got me kinda worried. Anyone else have this issue?