Do you regret all the money you have spent on car audio?

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,712
edited December 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
A co-worker asked me for a copy of a Christmas Bass CD I have.

I asked him what he was planning to play it on because 75% of the musical information on the tracks of a bass CD occurs below 40 Hz. Most stock stereos, computer speakers and iPods can't play that. People then usually jack up thier tone control and volume settings to get the performance to hear less than half of that info. Even then, it's just a harmonic of the actual note that thier stereo is physically incapable of producing.

Well, we took it out to his Volkswagen which has a decent stock stereo and it sounded OK. The stereo performed better than I thought it would be he was really pushing it just to get the bass track audible. So I told him to grab the CD and head over to my truck so I could show him how much he was actually missing.

So we get in the truck, I started the engine so the amp would have enough power and not clip on the battery power alone. I immediatly clicked over to the heaviest track on the CD and let it play. The very first bass hit vibrated his shirt and started blowing his hair around. He was stunned to say the least, said it was too loud and got out. Stood in the parking lot right next to the truck and still said it was too loud.

So I shut it all down. We got out and I told him I'd make him a copy of the CD tonight if he still wanted me to. So he said yes and then he asked the question..."Why do you have that?" That started a discussion about my history with cars, electronics, stereos and so on and so forth. We got back into the office and a bunch of people were hanging around and we started discussing cost of the stereo and what I've spent over the years. My current stereo pales in cost comparison to the competition systems we set up before but they were still surprised at the price tag being over $4500. I think in total, over the past 14-15 years I've been **** around and the 3-4 years I competed, my expenditure has been about $25-40K. The total cost of all the projects and cars I worked on approaches 6 figures easily with all the setups for friends and such.

Of course, since they don't "get it", that is exhorbitant, wasteful and just plain stupid because that's enough money to buy a house. Then again, most of the cost came when I was in high school and college and a house was the farthest thing from my mind. Sure, it'd be nice to have that money now but I have no debt from those days, just spare equipment that I haven't desired to get rid of yet.

Do I regret it? No, not at all. I had a freaking blast doing it, learned valuable skills and picked up a small education in circuits, automotive electrical systems and loudspeaker design. I gained a keen interest in sound reproduction and the science behind it and met a ton of cool people and saw thousands of kick-**** rides.

So do you regret all the money you've dumped into your stereo?
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Though I haven't spent that much on my current system in the big picture (and it can only make your hair move a little bit), I don't regret a single penny.

Co-workers, family, friends don't get the attraction to aftermarket audio either.

I've actually spent a fair bit of time thinking about value per dollar spent on car audio, and for me every purchase/upgrade has yielded noticeably more enjoyment from the system- even in some places I didn't think would yield as big a payoff.

Let's face it- some people have a tin ear. My wife cannot distinguish any difference in sound quality in our current car setup over the factory tape deck and four speakers. Other than the overall volume level the system is capable of, she doesn't see any difference at all (or so she says, because she doesn't see car audio as a worthwhile investment). The tin ear types would see little benefit upgrading their audio over what comes stock.

For my purposes, I can honestly say that before I buy my next car, I'll have made sure that it's a suitable home for all of the audio upgrades I have planned for it, and that all of my desired equipment is guaranteed to fit.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2006
    Options
    sometimes i think if i never heard that first after-market system 19 years ago i would have all that money i have spent on car audio electronics and sound improvements to misc. vehicles and then i go for a ride in my jeep and tell my self "YEAH IT WAS WORTH IT" and "i would do it all over again"
    Co-workers, family, friends don't get the attraction to aftermarket audio either
    Greg Peters
    seems to be the normal some peeps just don't get :)

i always have a quiet chuckle to myself when i'm driving around bumpin like crazy and i see some one look, they think i'm just some punk with a bunch of bass but if they only knew that i have spent way too much money and time to get here :)
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I dont regret a dime of it.

I got a lot for my money. Over the last 16 years Ive got not only a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from designing and installing the systems but countless hours of enjoyment from listening to them.

Now that Im seriously competing, Im spending even more money. Tons more than I ever have before and I shudder to think about the amount Im going to spend this upcoming season. And ya know what? I dont regret a single dime of that either! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Don't regret a single penny.
  • joeaudio26
    joeaudio26 Posts: 97
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I haven't spent near as much as you guys have in car audio but i dont regret it either it's only money not like you can take it with you ya know!

my family thinks im crazy for this interest and think I wierd when thinking of purchasing more stuff lol... even my father calls me a nutt..at least im on the right BOLT !
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I've spent my fair share in the realatively short time I've been in this hobby, and wouldn't trade it at all. Had a lot of fun, met a lot of cool people, and learned a lot too.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I do not regret spending the money on this hobby.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Not as much regret as the amount of $$$ I spent on my first two wives............
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    Options
    not at all...I love music !

and I spend hours each day in bumper to bumper traffic.
    It makes my day start off with great music and end the same way..

It also keeps the general public safer, as I have a harder time developing road rage when I`m smiling so much from the killer tunes that surround me..!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2006
    Options
    i shudder to think what my current system costs...well, if everything was actually in my truck and not in the progress. Ive probably paid around $6000 for everything for my current system. Not including the new head unit I want to get which is going to be another grand. The sad thing is, all my amps and wiring were bought for 75% off MSRP, the radio was half off MSRP...everything else ive bought was at least 25% off MSRP...

and none of that even includes what ive spent on past systems...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Home Theatre
    Home Theatre Posts: 469
    edited December 2006
    Options
    No listening to music with mb quarts with two amps and a 2 12, made it all worth it.
    Everything I own burned in the fire!!!!!!!!!!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I would regret not having spent it.

To live life with a stock radio is -- hell I don't even have the words to describe it.

I'm a miserable human being; anyone who knows me can testify to that.

But when I sit in my truck, and I just let all that sweet sound wash over me, only then am I almost happy and content.

You can't put a price on that.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Not as much as all that cash I spent on my 14" penile implant;) :D

Kinda gets in the way and makes cloths fit funny.:D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Jstas
    edited December 2006
    Options
    TMI dude, TMI.

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Jstas wrote:
    TMI dude, TMI.

Sorry, forgot that's not much shorter than you are.;) ;):p

J/K John!!!!:)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Jstas
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Keep it up! Just don't cry about it when I decided to get mean! :p

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I don't regret spending what I did either. I learned a ton about wiring, sound deadening, amping, fiberglassing, etc. Every time I get in my car, I just love how great my system sounds. Riding in anyone else's car with a stock system just makes me want to drive more.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2006
    Options
    who are you?
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited December 2006
    Options
    You've all prolly experienced this, especially if you're still part of the younger crowd like I am... but I hate it when people hear a system and right away assume you're some dumb-**** punk trying to look cool and get attention. Theres nothing at all wrong with enjoying high quaility sound. its not just about seeing who can crack the pavement, its also about the pleasure and satisfaction you get from putting it all together.