Wire Questions -

MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
Alrighty, Lets see here - I'm not going to get anything other than Home Depot Wire, but here is my question. How much difference is there in 14 guage wire, 12 guage wire, and 10 guage wire...what all can the other do that the other can not? Chances are I will get 12 guage wire.

Ok, Other question - When you use a seperate Amp to drive your speakers, you use AV Plugs to plug the amp to each input on the pre/pro/receiver for it to receive the signal? correct me if I am wrong...
alright, well, are the gold plated connectors alot better for this job than regular connectors? Also how much of a difference will this do with the connections to my DVD player and VCR?
ok thanks for all advice, suggestions and help
-MX-
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited December 2002
    MX,

Since you're bound and determined to keep using Home Depot wire it's like this, the idea is that the bigger gauge wire will allow the signal to pass from the power source to the speaker with less resistance, resulting in a somewhat cleaner, more accurate sound. With the high-end cables, the makers are using more exotic metals/materials which perform beyond the limitations of plain copper wire and it's plastic cover.
    Your second question is a little confusing, but I think you want to know if you use audio cables to connect a amp to a pre/amp. Yes, you do, but not A/V cables, just audio.
    Gold does not oxidize, so it will mantain a better connection, but if the jacks that you're pluging into are not gold, then it defeats the purpose.
    Do you have any friends or a high-end audio shop that will lend you some better cables so that you can see the differences for yourself?

F1nut
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    but i have heard the difference with my subwoofer -- lol...when i first bought it, I had to use a audio chord for vcr type use. That was the weirdest thing I ever did, well after listening to it, I got my Mom to take me straight to Radioshack...LOL! Thanks for the help, I might look into different speaker wire...maybe
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC