LSi9 Crazyness!!!!

Shannon W.
Shannon W. Posts: 568
edited December 2002 in Speakers
I have had my 9's for about 3 weeks now and I started out with them facing straight with them about 7 to 8 foot apart. to me for a start they sounded great. then i started playing with angle that was a big improvment!!! "Much better" then today i got to thinking that if a little distance between them and sounds this good what if i put them at 20 foot apart and angled toward the listing area? And BAM!!!!! what a sound stage i have now! I just thought i would share my musical bliss. also i was doing to testing with RY Cooders Slide Guitar Classics,Elton johns Tiny little dancer, Randy Newman's Burn on big river and Many more!!!!!!

Shannon
50" Samsung Plasma
Sony STR-DA4ES "use as Pre/amp"
Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
DLO HomeDock Deluxe iPod docking station
Directv HR20 Sat. Receiver in black
Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature Amp
Monster Cable AVS2000
Monster Cable HTPS 5100 MKII
Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
Polk LSiC Center
Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
SVS PB12-Plus/2
Velodyne SMS-1
Sony PS3
Click Here To View my Rig
Post edited by Shannon W. on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    I wish I could put mine more than 6 or 7 feet apart. :(

I need to mooooooooooooooooove....

Thanks for the info, glad you are enjoying them!
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2002
    Holy crap man, that's pretty far apart. Are you still getting a solid center image? Mine are 8ft apart creating an equilateral triangle with my head. When I have some time, I will try moving them further apart. Thanx for the info.

Maurice
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited December 2002
    The disc that I use to test for a solid center image is Enigma, MCMXC A.D., track 2. This track features chimes (small tubular bells?) that start on the left and move accross to the right. The image should move smoothly from side to side with no interruptions or channel jumping as the notes decend in scale. If you do not have this disc, see if you can borrow a copy from a friend or the library. Or try another disc that has an image moving from side to side.

I have my 9's at about 60 degrees of seperation and toed in to face me. The drivers are also centered 1/5 the room length from the back wall and 1/5 the room width from the side walls.

EDIT

Oops, I just listened to the Enigma track I mentioned above. The initial panning of the chimes at the begining start on the right side and moves to the left. Sorry for any confusion.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    jmierzur thanks for the info. That is one disk that I haven't gotten out since my upgrade. I'll have to do that tonight. :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited December 2002
    I will say this.........setup is everything.

Glad to see your lovin/playing with those 9's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited December 2002
    Setup is everything. Guess and check - repeat.

And Enigma is my favorite band of all time :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    One thing I don't understand about speakers that need to be toed in to the listening position...........

Let's say I wanted to just blast my music while I'm doin things around my apartment and I'm movin around. Are they not gonna sound that good or will the sound be less lively per se? I have thought about getting a pair of the lsi9's for 2 channel listening, but I'm not so sure I wanna deal with such a bitchy speaker.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited December 2002
    "Let's say I wanted to just blast my music while I'm doin things around my apartment and I'm movin around."

In that case you need multi-zone in-wall speakers.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Never in a million years will I get in-walls. And for lack of any other reasons, I live in an apartment with concrete brick walls......I listen to EVERYTHING loud and the neighbors can't hear a damn thing.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited December 2002
    Never in a million years will I get in-walls

brettw22,
    I gotta ask the reason why,over and above living in an apt.One day you might move out and buy a house,who knows.

I ask this question to you and to all in the forum.

WHY IS EVERYONE SO AGANIST INWALLS?

I mean whats so wrong with owning them?How many pairs have you listened to and found that hey, you know what I don't care for them,they don't suit any of my needs.

I install inwalls all the time.I just wired my house for multiroom and I'm gonna use 95 percent inwall speakers from Polk and Niles.I think inwalls serve a great purpose.

Would I use Inwalls as my 2 channel speakers?No way

Would I use them in a Theater?Maybe....

WOuld I use them for whole house music? My first choice.

Can you guys leave some reasons why you hate.dislike/just don't care for them or anything else you can thing about inwalls?

I really would like to know.:confused:
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    Well, I have no experience with them. But if I was showing my rig off to someone, they asked where the speakers were...I wouldnt exactly feel right saying: "Thos little white grills sticking out from the walls!" I mean, that sounds weird even when you read it, also I just couldnt see in walls matching up to traditional speakers...but thats just me
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited December 2002
    Brett, the LSi9s are not a bitchy speaker like a electrostatic or something like that ;) As with any speaker, you are always going to get your better soundstage while directly in front of them.

I play my 9s all the time when I'm cleaning up, in the other room, etc and it still sounds like I've got a live concert in the other room!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by brettw22
    One thing I don't understand about speakers that need to be toed in to the listening position...........

Let's say I wanted to just blast my music while I'm doin things around my apartment and I'm movin around. Are they not gonna sound that good or will the sound be less lively per se? I have thought about getting a pair of the lsi9's for 2 channel listening, but I'm not so sure I wanna deal with such a bitchy speaker.........

Speakers has different sonic characteristics at different angles. Reviews of speakers usually give several measurements of frequency response at various angles (off axis response). Usually the best response is obtained listening to the speakers on axis (directly facing you). This should give you the flattest response. That is why I toe in my speakers so that they are facing me to obtain the best possible response.

I recently installed crown molding in my audio room and was required to remove all the speakers. While replacing the speakers in the same location, I noticed that the focus of the soundstage was also affected by the amount of toe-in. Having the speakers toed-in produced a more precise soundstage image. Or maybe it was too late at night and I was tired?

If you are concerned with the sonic characteristics when moving about the room, you should incorporate this as part of your listening evaluations before purchasing a new speaker.