Center Field

Options
trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited October 2001 in Technical/Setup
Say Gents-

I'm currently using a Sony (I know) ES receiver. Recently I picked up the 9000ES amp, and now I'm thinking of getting the matching preamp.
Question is:
The preamp has 2 center channel outs, but my amp
has only 1 set of center channel jacks, is there a way of spliting the center channel and running a front and rear center channel speaker?
Also, can you explain the importance of component video jacks? Don't have cable, or satellite tv, I do have a progressive scan DVD and
a HD ready tv.

cheers,

-Luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Luc, (1)the two center channel outputs on the preamp are probably for flexability. (muli-room) Never use a center channel out for a rear center. They are two totally different things. You don't want your rear center to play as a front center, it is a matixed or specifically on the soundtrack (6.1) as a rear surround effect.
    (2)You must use component cable if you have a progressive scan and HD monitor. That is what gives you TRUE HD. It is like trying to get digital sound out of rca cable. It want happen. Hope this helps. LATER :cool: scottvamp
  • trubluluc
    edited October 2001
    Options
    So, if I'm understanding you, to be able to use my progessive scan DVD, I must have a preamp or receiver with component video. Hmmm, really did want to get the matching preamp, since they are pretty well rated, but if it won't work, I guess another plan is needed.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Luc, (1)the two center channel outputs on the preamp are probably for flexability. (muli-room)
    The reason for having two center channels is if you have a large front stage, specifically with big screens.
    (2)You must use component cable if you have a progressive scan and HD monitor. That is what gives you TRUE HD.
    You don't have to use the component connections, but if you have a progressive player and a HD-ready TV it would be pretty dumb not to use them. However, progressive scan IS NOT HD. It's still just DVD.
    It is like trying to get digital sound out of rca cable. It want happen.
    You can definitely get digital sound out of an RCA cable, you'll just have a slight impedance mismatch.

Aaron
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Whenever possible, I try to hook the DVD directly to the TV. You can still hook-up the Audio through the receiver/preamp as normal. This would be even more beneficial with progressive scan/HD.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Gidrah makes a good point. It's also likely that your receiver doesn't support progressive scan passthrough anyway.

Aaron
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Once again 2 outputs (flexibility) multi-room or additional center.
    Progressive scan DVD was made for HD. That is why they have component and XGA connections. Just like HD monitors. Most people that go this way almost always hook directly to the monitor. The jump into the reciever is just for convience. Maybe Ron can help me on this, that is why he is buying a progressive scan. And last rca is not true digital that is why when recording cd or dvd you use what is called optical cable. If digital cable is the same as rca then lets try that on your DD reciever off your DVD player. Ya, thats what I thought. But analog is better on cd than digital. I can't figure that one out though.LATER
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Once again 2 outputs (flexibility) multi-room or additional center.
    Once again you're still wrong. I guess if you want to have a center channel in anther room, then you're right, but how much sense does that make?
    Progressive scan DVD was made for HD.

Agreed, but the point I was making is that DVD, regardless of whether it's progressive scan or not, is still not an HD signal. All HD signals are higher resolution than DVD.
    And last rca is not true digital that is why when recording cd or dvd you use what is called optical cable. If digital cable is the same as rca then lets try that on your DD reciever off your DVD player. Ya, thats what I thought.
    Dude, what are you talking about? There is an RCA digital output, SPDIF (also known as coax digital). My only point was that you can use an RCA cable for coax digital, but you'll have a slight impedance mismatch since you're not using a 75ohm digital cable.
    But analog is better on cd than digital. I can't figure that one out though.
    That is likely a function of your receiver's D/A converter. If you got a high quality DAC, the digital output would sound better than the analog.

Aaron
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Good grief, try to help a fellow Polkie out and I have to take out Mr. Johnson out for a pissing match. If I was as smart as you think you are I would not be wasting my time on this site. I give you credit for the knowledge you do have but trying to say that MULTI-ROOM is a made up term or something
    Many recievers and pre-amps main sale points are on being multi-room functional. I have two HT's and if I had a high end unit I would use it in all rooms of the house.
    , regardless of whether it's progressive scan or not, is still not an HD signal. All HD signals are higher resolution than DVD.
    What planet are you from? If you are watching something more HD than say a 30k Plasma = Progressive Scan = Superbit DVD; than you better get a patend and kick it with Bill Gates. Now let me get back to my Holographic Titanium Photon Monitor and watch some brady bunch. :rolleyes: PS tired of pissing- Truce
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Luc, i'm back on your case. Sorry about the pissing match. At least you know that Progessive and HD uses a new cable called component. If your amp or pre-amp does not have component ; just go straight into the monitor. Less cable to buy anyway. The component cable seperates the video colors into seperate streams instead of converting back and forth.
    I hope I answered your center channel Question.Your question wasn't the purpose of them but rather running a center rear split.
    Also digital coax was created for local cable companys to get there hands on the digital satallite market. It is not use in HT unless you have stupid non-satallite setup from your local cable company. Anyway hope this helps. LATER :)
    Never use a center channel out for a rear center. They are two totally different things. You don't want your rear center to play as a front center, it is a matixed or specifically on the soundtrack (6.1) as a rear surround effect
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Scott, I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with you, I'm just trying to tell you how it is. We're just having some communication problems here.
    I give you credit for the knowledge you do have but trying to say that MULTI-ROOM is a made up term or something
    Many recievers and pre-amps main sale points are on being multi-room functional.
    The feature that Luc is referring to have NOTHING to do with multi-room. Again, dual center channels are intended for people with large front stages (i.e. people with large TV's). Multi-room is used with the L&R channels, not the center channel.
    What planet are you from? If you are watching something more HD than say a 30k Plasma = Progressive Scan = Superbit DVD;
    When you use the abbreviation "HD," it is implied that you're talking about a high definition signal which comes in 540, 720 (I think), and 1080 resolutions. There may also be progressive flavors of those signals, but I'm not really sure. DVD is not considered an HD signal. Its resolution is 480, lower than any HD signal. Sure, you may say that it looks like it has "high definition," but it is not an HD signal. As a side note, I originally thought that DVD's resolution was in the 500-515 region, but I guess not.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I think what Aaron is getting at is that by using terms incorrectly and giving information that isn't correct in context, in most cases you can do more harm than good, especially to someone who doesn't know the difference.
    While it is true that multi-room functionality is a big selling point, in this case Aaron is correct. The purpose of the outputs that trubuluc was refering to are for having 2 center channels if you have a large front stage. The other question about HD, Aaron is again correct in that component cables or any other kind doesn't make DVD a HD signal. When I reread your post it sounds to me that you are making the case that DVD is HD. Simply not true.

Aaron is a splendid chap (his rear speakers not withstanding) who was just trying to clear up some misconceptions, that's all.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by trubluluc

... Also, can you explain the importance of component video jacks? Don't have cable, or satellite tv, I do have a progressive scan DVD and
    a HD ready tv.

Luc:

At the risk of partially repeating what has already been said, let me attempt to give you my take on high bandwidth component video inputs. Please forgive me for being long-winded.

BACKGROUND

For digital signals an HD ready TV must be connected to a source of progressive video signals. This can be an HD receiver, a progressive DVD player, a video scaler, or home theater PC (HTPC). A 480p digital signal, such as native DVD, is called standard digital TV, dtv. 540p, 720p and 1080 interlaced are considered high definition, HD. All of these digital signals collectively are referred to as ATSC signals. The video connectors used by HD ready TVs vary. My HDTV’s HD inputs are on 5-BNC connectors (RGBHV). Other HDTVs can have VGA D-type connectors, or high bandwidth component connections (usually on 3 RCA connectors, but sometimes on 3-BNC connectors).

Most HDTVs have high bandwidth component connections. Some have more than one type of HD input. Most progressive DVD players also have component connections. So there is a high probability that your DVD player can be connected directly to your HDTV. However, some HDTVs, such as mine, do not have high bandwidth component connections, and therefore can not be directly connected to progressive DVD players (or receivers with component switching.)

HDTVs with only one HD input require switching to connect more than one progressive video source. Most frequently this is an HD receiver and a progressive DVD player. If an HDTV has a single set of component connections, a receiver (or preamp/processor) with component switching provides a convenient means of connecting two or more devices. However, there are only a few top-of-the-line receivers with component connections with bandwidths high enough to pass an HD signals without obvious signal degradation. (The minimum bandwidth is hotly debated. Some manufacturers say 35 MHz, others say 500 MHz. Obviously, this depends on how good your display device is as well as your eyesight.)

IN CONCLUSION
    The first thing to do is make sure both your HDTV and DVD player have high bandwidth component connections, and if so connect them and enjoy your DVDs.

Then you should decide your budget for your receiver or preamp/processor. If it’s less than $2,000 street price this whole discussion is academic since even if it has component connections, they will probably screw-up your HD picture quality. What’s the point of spending thousands on a high definition video display, only to mess it up by your selection of audio equipment?

If you can’t spend more than $2,000, and you still want to connect two or more progressive sources to your HDTV, you can buy a high quality video switcher. I have a VGA type switcher with a bandwidth of 350 MHz that senses the active input an switches to it. It cost about $360. I’m not familiar with what a similar component type switcher would cost, probably more.

I hope this helps.

Larry
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Larry, thanks for the info., you confirmed much of my basic knowledge. What type of monitor or projection do you have that you have to use 5-BNC connectors? Just curious. LATER, scottvamp
  • trubluluc
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I live by the basic principle...
    If you ask enough questions...you'll eventually
    know something.
  • Larry Chanin
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Scott:

Thanks for your interest.

I've got a first generation 60" Mitsubishi rear projection HDTV.
    You can get an idea of my set-up here:
    Larry's Home Theater

I also have a home theater PC (HTPC) with a 19" monitor connected to the HDTV via the VGA switch that I mentioned in my previous post. The HTPC has hardware and software that turns it into a very good video scaler. I can play DVDs in the DVD-ROM drive and the DVD's vertical resolution is upconverted from 480p to 540p. This looks very close to high definition. For standard NTSC signals, such as standard satellite broadcasts, I use a video capture card with an experimental deinterlacing program to convert the 480i signal to 480p.

Larry
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Check out that link....

This **** came to play, nice job.....did someone say 'system showcase??????'

Cheers,
    Russ the drunkard
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Larry Chanin
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Russ:

Thanks for the compliment...I think.;)

Larry
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I had my computer set up as a HTPC during the past two years while I was living on campus. I was using a Pioneer DVD-ROM with a Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card and running the digital out to my receiver. My 19" monitor sat atop my CS400 (which was bigger than my monitor, heheh). It was a pretty funny sight to see a computer surrounded by all these speakers.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ....the muy cool NASA wall treatments.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut