LSi15 vs. LSi25

bapatterson
bapatterson Posts: 12
edited December 2002 in Speakers
I am trying to decide between these two models. It appears that the primary difference between them is that the 25s have a powered subwoofer in each tower while the 15s do not.

I already have a Velodyne 15" subwoofer so my inclination is to go for the 15s.

Any thoughts?
Post edited by bapatterson on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2002
    I went with the Lsi15's because I like the flexibilty that a seperate sub gives me. Since you have already got a good sub I'd suggest using it and saving a few bucks. Go with the 15's.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited December 2002
    You might even want to look into the 9s. Mated with a nice subwoofer, they can be very very pleasing. I don't even have a subwoofer and they go down pretty freaking low.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited December 2002
    I'd go with the 15's in your situation, and put the difference in cost into another power amp to bi amp them with instead.
  • bapatterson
    bapatterson Posts: 12
    edited December 2002
    Thanks for the info. I already have a perfect pair of oak SDA-CRS+, which I have really liked since I bought them new 10+ years ago. I just ordered an LSiC since the TV speakers weren't cutting it as a center speaker.

I then began to think that timbre matching would be an issue with the CRS+ and that I should buy the 15s or the 25s for perfect timbre matching and "retire" the CRS+ to the bedroom.

I just bought a Pioneer VSX-49TXi receiver and matching DV-47ai DVD player so thought it was time to get a complimentary speaker system.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited December 2002
    NIce choice man....Pioneer Elite is really good this year......I like it.

Lsi1 5's where my speaker of choice as I didn't want powered towers again.I didn't even consider them,never heard them go......no desire 2.....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2002
    Other people have posted that the CRS+ sounds an awful lot like the LSI9's.

Hard to believe. But, its probably true.
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited December 2002
    ANy opinions which are better sounding Lsi9's or the 15's ?? forget the bass issue I'm just speaking about 'musicality'

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2002
    I prefer the 15's. The resonace is reduced due to the sheer mass of the cabinet.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    I know a lot of people dismiss the 25's because they are powered, but I still feel they sound better than the 15's, even with a sub going. Hopefully you have a store nearby where you can compare the two.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    I think the 9's sound better than the 15's.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    I think the 15's sound better then the 9's.Alot better.
    Dan
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    I think the 9's do have a slight advantage when it comes to midrange clarity and overall dynamics. They have a pretty impressive low end for a bookshelf, heck - it's impressive for some towers.

The 25's - ehhhhh - I don't like powered towers, or any powered speakers other than subs.

The 15's are an overall 'best' IMO - since the low end is filled out almost completely. The difference is minimal, so get what you want - bookshelves or towers.
  • gtbiker
    gtbiker Posts: 15
    edited December 2002
    Price set aside, wouldn't the 25 with the sub turned down to a level to compliment the other drivers sound better than the 15 with the non powered sub?
    LSi9, LSiC, PSW1200, Definitive Technology BP2X surrounds, Sony rcvr STR-DE435, Panasonic DVD-RA60
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    I prefer the 15's. The resonace is reduced due to the sheer mass of the cabinet.

If you own a separate Subwoofer then your front L/R channels are free from resonance. There is little resonance above 80hz...now if your front channels are playing the low end as well as mid & high frequencies then this is true

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2002
    lsi9,
    Not true. All speakers can have a problem with resonace, the Lsi series uses Accoustic Resonace Control ports to help eliminate it, but that is not the only thing they (Polk) does. The mass and density of the cabinet also plays a major roll here. The greater the density the less movement of the panels caused by the sound waves within the cabinet. That's why your lsi's weigh a ton and a half, 1.5 inch thick MDF is pretty stout! If you've got the current catalog check out pg.19. Keep in mind that not all materials resonate at the same frequency, some will at higher frequencies, others at lower frequencies. Remember the old Maxell cassette tape commercials, Ella Fitzgerald breaking a wine glass when she hit the right note that caused the glass to shatter. Same thing happens to all material when their resonate frequencys are found.

The side panels on the Lsi15's are not just for looks. They also help dampen the resonace within the cabinet.The passive sub in the 15's go much lower than the 9's therefore greater mass is needed. (Lsi15's = 22hz- 27khz, Lsi9 = 38hz-27khz).
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2002
    bapatterson,
    Which did you decide to get?
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    I'll never understand the desire for a shelf speaker over a floor model of the same.The shelf always lacks.With a stand you don't gain any floor space and with the stand you don't save much money.I don't get it.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    I'll never understand the desire for a shelf speaker over a floor model of the same.The shelf always lacks.With a stand you don't gain any floor space and with the stand you don't save much money.I don't get it.

The 9's sound better than the 15's, different networks, different cabs, different sound. (IMO of course)

And guys, the ARC port handles box resonance (as Frank noted), which I believe is around 400Hz for MDF. . . ?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Russ,
    The 9's sound better than the 15's, different networks, different cabs, different sound. (IMO of course)

I completely disagree with that..IMO of course ro I would have bought them instead.I did a side by side( i believe you did 2)and the 15's sounded better tighter and lower......completely.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2002
    Oh, c'mon Dan. You wanted the Danes, but decided on Polk to be 'cool' on the forum, we all know it. ;)

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2002
    That was a pretty dramatic 180 degree turn. Sorta like the 'Starsky and Hutch slide'

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Really thats what you think???The Polks came threw for me dude.The Dynaudio's will always be in my Soul.There where many reasons why I desided Polk over them.

And many reasons I desided over the 9's as well.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Are we pushing for a classic Mantis rant??
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited December 2002
    Are we talking about speakers or eastern philosophy?

Dan, it was sort of surprising turnaround though. Your reviews of the LSi's were less than stellar.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    So was the room they where in the place they where sold and the gear they where on.Dynaudio had the pleasure of being hooked up 2 Rotel,in a really nice room,and wired with Transparent........complete.

If you want be to travel down memory lane I can repost all the maddness I went threw that lead me to the choice I made.......
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2002
    No, don't do THAT man. One read was.......hard.........enough. ;)

It's ok Starsky (can I call you Starsky?), we understand.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    You can call me what you wish.But don't ask what you don't wanna hear.because I'll get my quote on and my typing on....and away I will go
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited December 2002
    Go Easy Starsky, don't get all fired up.

We were just amazed, you had Danes and B&K in your 'sole' allday, all about with B&K, then *POOF* LSi.

No worries, if your happy, don't sweat it. It's just comical that's all

Jim Rockford
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    TroyD(I love gettting my quote on by the way)and WE,
    We were just amazed, you had Danes and B&K in your 'sole' allday, all about with B&K, then *POOF* LSi.

You forgot to add in Rotel in your quote,but thats ok.....read acouple lines,remember a couple line of the entire story......I except you for you.

Here is the really sort version of the what took place...........
    Yes I was Loving the Dynaudio Audience line over and above ALL other speakers I was considering for my upgrade.(I am building a new house,building a deadicated Home Theater,wanna make it Perfect for me).After the Dynaudio shamed the B&W CDM series that where high on my list,they made me re think my plans(as Rotel did).The Dynaudio Audience 72's and 82's perfrom at a level I didn't think possible at there(and my)price point.Really I didn't want to spend more then 2 grand on mains alone,but the 82's where just so effin good.
    Lsi I saw before it was released to the market at the Show in New York 2 years ago.They where really nice,but it was a crowded room,and I didn't get a really good demo of them from the 3rd row.
    After seeking the land for Lsi dealers around here,I was just about to give up on them,then I found one in New Jersey where the owner's where understanding of my journey and loowed my to come in whenever I felt like it and listen for as long as I wanted( I wore out my welcome with my last trip down there,I sayed for like 4 hours,They thought I was nuts after that,Hell I am).
    After getting 2 demo's of Lsi on Yamaha rxv1 receiver,they didn't do it for me.The Dynaudio's where superior and that was that.The owner of the shop in New Jersey told me he was going to put out a Pioneer Elite vsx47tx and I could listen to them on that if I wanted.So I did.And POW they came alive.
    Back and forth between the Lsi and Dynaudio's was no easy pick.I left the 82's out of my thinking and went at the 72's.I feel the Lsi 15's couldhang or beat out them only in a couple of things,but the things where the things I was looking for in a speaker.The 82's where slightly over my budget.

I own the Lsi 15's as most of you know,If I where just building a 2 channel system,I might have spent the extra 760 bucks on the Dynaudio Audience 82 in Chery over the Lsi 15's.But 2 channel isn't my game plan...7.1 Theater(6.1 format)is.So if you do some searching on my older reviews,you can read the intertaining thead I wrote and got my **** handed to me over.(one guy replied that the way I reviewed was almost erotic).

Rotel and B&K is another post.......I can if you ask again......be carefull what you ask.......I got my type on!!!!:lol:
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Does anyone want the long version????

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Dan