SDA 2B's Amp question

Options
crazyeyes
crazyeyes Posts: 74
edited December 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hi guys i noticed the SDA 2b's are 6 Ohm speakers most amps are 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm. Which do you reccomend using for a 6 Ohm speaker?
Post edited by crazyeyes on

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2006
    Options
    4 ohm or lower
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Some Denons and HKs say 6ohm. Try to go 4ohm. 6ohms is an average over the whole spectrum. I would expect some dips even below 4 ohms depending on the music, and i have seen speakers go as high as 40ohms in the tweets with high frequencies. I agree with Dude look for 4ohms. Who knows maybe your next speaker will be 4ohms. I also have adcoms like Dude. They work great. You won't believe it till you hear it. Tight, hard impacting bass, sweet mids, and I think slightly bright highs.
    I might have a mint adcom GFA-5400 for you. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. Ask the guys what they think about that combo. I never really listened to Jazz till I had the polk adcom combo.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • crazyeyes
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Well i have an amp on the way. I have a Dynaco ST70 that has been fully rebuilt and restored. It has 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm selection. I was just wondering which one i should use. Thanks for the replies.
  • ben62670
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Definitely 4 ohms... Nice nice amp. I wish I could hear that combo. Maybe when I mature a little more I'll go Tube :-)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • crazyeyes
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Yeah i just bought a Mod Squad Duet to use as my preamp. It was Steve McCormack's first design. It is his Line Drive and Phono Drive units behind one faceplate. I can't wait to get that. I have a Thorens TD320 Turntable with a Benz Micro Glider cartridge. So i think i should have a decent setup. Here are some pics of the amp i am getting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24749352@N00/320092116/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24749352@N00/322593329/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24749352@N00/322593332/

I should have the amp tomorrow actually.
  • ben62670
    edited December 2006
    Options
    How much power does that thing have? It seems to have quite a bit of transformer current. Is It stock, or upgraded? Are you excited?
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • crazyeyes
    edited December 2006
    Options
    It is stock i think. He uses all new components but they are all NOS i believe. So the unit is still like stock. I am very excited. It has 35 watts per channel. The power supplies are the older power supplies with the cloth leads they are the only part of the unit that isn't new.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,875
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Try both, won't hurt anything.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk