System Design Question

shuotari
shuotari Posts: 10
I have been putting together a home theater in my home and have the following components so far:

Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX receiver
Pioneer DV-F727 DVD player (2)
Pioneer PDF-908 CD player
FXi40 Center
RTi100 Left and Right
FX500i Surround
FX300i Back Surround
Advent 10" Sub

I have a PSW650 on order

My question is this. When I get the PSW650, I am planning on putting the PSW650 in the back of the room and moving the Advent 10" to the front. What do you all think?

What do you think that my weaknesses are in the area of speakers? I am thinking about upgrading the front speakers to a higher model.

Don't get me wrong, the system sounds great. Just looking for bigger and better toys for the room!

Scott
Post edited by shuotari on

Comments

• liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited December 2002
    Hey Scott,

Great system dude.

There is not a lot you can do to improve it on speakers but you can step-up and get the RTI150's which is top of the line RT.

I don't really see a need but hey if you want the best go for it.

I recommend that you put the 650 in the front ogf the room and move the Advent 10" to the rear or better yet the side if possible.

And lastly if it was my system I would trade in the FX300's for RT35's or 38's for surround back as monopoles sound better IMO than Bipoles.

What region did you buy the Pioneer DV-F727?
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Stack the Advent on top of the PSW650. Calibrate each of them separately to get the best performance from each, as I'm assuming you'll be using a Y splitter and each sub will have a different efficiency with the same strength signal input.

Stacking the subs (or placing them right next to each other) will give you the most increase in bass performance, and minimize the potential for phase concerns between the two subs. Co-located subs will excite the same room modes, whereas separately locating the subs may create standing waves and nulls.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited December 2002
    I would recommend you feed the PSW650 via LFE input, position it on the left or right of your front left/right speakers, if you could put it in the corner, it probably sound better too. I would use the Advent sub and hook up to the rear channels (via speaker level in put)for the FX500 and carefully position it, use the phase control and the crossover control to let the sub pickup the low frequency from 80hz and below. This set up work very well for DD and DTS, and best for SACD and DVD-A.

Now, test it out, throw in the Matrix disc, and seat back and relax, you can hear sound the flying bullet cross the room and the low bass rumble in the rear channels. Cheers
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    alright, now you got me curious, lol! If i read this right, you said do this: Plug the subwoofer into the receiver, then plug the speakers into the subwoofer? : Did I read that right?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    alright, now you got me curious, lol! If i read this right, you said do this: Plug the subwoofer into the receiver, then plug the speakers into the subwoofer? : Did I read that right?

Yeah, you read it right. It's called a high (or speaker) level connection.

Ask your lover-boy Dan if need be. ;)

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shuotari
    edited December 2002
    I ran across a post on here that mentioned putting the two subwoofers 180 degrees out of phase. Is this recommended? Why? Why Not?

My receiver has two sub outputs so I am planning on putting my second on the second output from the receiver. If I put both in the back of the room, then I think that I should use a Y splitter, since I only have one cable going to the back of the room.

The back of the theater is on risers, so I put the sub back there. The thought there was that the stadium style risers would work to reverberate the bass throughout the listening area (Feel the Bass) It is working pretty good, but I want more bass!!!

Any thoughts...

Scott
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited December 2002
    Ask your lover-boy Dan if need be.
    Is that nessary Russ?
    Is there something I should know or you wanna say?
    There are pillows for these occasions.......need one???:D
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2002
    Hey now, he has the man-crush on you, not me.

And for gods sake, stop over punctuating!(!!!)

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Are you sure you don't have a man crush on me Russ?

Stop over punctuating?this means.........................a pause a break in the breath of saying.....................get it?

Russ you just seem jealous of Mxstylepolkman.There's no need my man,your still my #1.
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Dan
  • audionutt
    audionutt Posts: 97
    edited December 2002
    I think micah needs to start another section,a man crush section
    for all you homo's:lol:

joe
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by shuotari
    I ran across a post on here that mentioned putting the two subwoofers 180 degrees out of phase. Is this recommended? Why? Why Not?
    Scott

Only put them 180 degrees out of phase if you place them on opposites sides of the room, facing each other. This is a general rule of thumb, but check both settings to be sure.

Variable phase is the nuts for dialing in two subs, but those models don't have that feature - you are stuck with 0 or 180.

If you don't co-locate the subs (which I still recommend), you will quickly be able to tell which phase setting is better, because one will yield noticably better bass response than the other.

Bass sounds below approximately 80 Hz "supposedly" (this is still subject to some debate) are non-directional (i.e., you can't tell where they are coming from), so I never saw the merit in placing subs at various points in the room if your crossover is low enough.

According to several articles I have read on this subject by industry bass heads, the more subs you place at different locations, the more of a mess the room modes will become, and the harder it will be to achieve a uniform bass response at the key listening positions.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    No reply Russ???

Leave a brother in suspense?
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2002
    Dude, with that new sig, I'm speechless. You re-iterate my point over and over and over (dot dot dot).

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2002
    Unless your room is huge, 2 subs will be overkill. All bass and nuttin' else, seems like a waste of time to me.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Look at frank with the boot in hand.......But he's got a point.......

Don't worry Frank,I'm not going to be pete or re pete..it's all you my man.
    Dan
  • shuotari
    edited December 2002
    Hey guys, thanks for all the input (and output!!)

I think the plan will be to just replace my advent 10" sub with the new PSW650 and put the old sub in the guest room or sell it or something like that.

I am working on putting some pictures of my system online for you all to check out. I don't think it looks too badly for a beginner that had an extra garage and some old boards laying around. This was my first ever construction job!!

Well anyway, thank you again for all your input.

Scott
  • shuotari
    edited December 2002
    Hey, you asked which region I purchased my DV-F727 for. It is region 1 encoding for N. America.

Why do you ask?

Scott
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited December 2002
    Looks like to me he already had the answer before he ask. Dude, you see various opinions here, that means you have many of these options to try it out, regarless, what you hear or what you read, try it out and trust your ears. Set it up, turn on one sub, then turn both, then decide, the only thing that you try to avoid if you use more than one sub, you may deal with the phasing problem and they cancel each other out, that will defeat the purpose. So one sub or two? let your ears decide that.