need help with a cs4001 - sounds muffled

gplracer
gplracer Posts: 36
edited December 2002 in Speakers
I had two rt25i speakers and a cs245i. I went to Circuit City and they had the rt35i and the cs400i on sale because of a trade in. Well they actually gave me .09 cents on deal so it was a free upgrade. I got it home and the 35i speakers sound great. The cs400i sounds muffled. What could be the problem? Do you think the tweeter is blown. I really feel like I got a deal on these. It might still be worth it to replace the tweeter if needed. What is the process I should go through to troubleshoot this? Thanks!!!
Post edited by gplracer on

Comments

• SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited November 2002
    check and see if all the binding post are all tightly screwed down.....my cs 400i did not sound quite right until I tightend thel extra set of binding post used for bi wiring.

that my personal experiece.....good luck!

dc.

:)
  • gplracer
    edited November 2002
    Thanks for the tip unfortunately it did not help. I do feel better though since reading the sticker on the side of the speaker. It says this item was either a demo or previously owned and comes with factory coverage as a factory sealed item. I guess that means that they will see that it is fixed. I do not want to give up this deal. It is amazing how much more the room is filled up with sound with these larger speakers. My room is 20x18 with 12 foot ceilings.
  • gplracer
    edited November 2002
    I am using an Onkyo 595 to power the speakers. I plugged the speaker into the right channel and it did the same thing.
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited November 2002
    Brian, Is that you? If it is you can call me, I'm still up.

Does the CS400i have a gold plated metal strip installed between the two sets of binding posts?

If missing you will need to install a piece of speaker wire between the two sets of posts to feed a signal to the tweeter or run two cables (biwire) from the receiver to the speaker.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by TheGrayGhost
    Brian, Is that you? If it is you can call me, I'm still up.

Does the CS400i have a gold plated metal strip installed between the two sets of binding posts?

If missing you will need to install a piece of speaker wire between the two sets of posts to feed a signal to the tweeter or run two cables (biwire) from the receiver to the speaker.

I second that notion - my brand new CS400i was missing the binding straps right from the factory. It was my intention to bi-wire the center all along, so I didn't really care, but geeez.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • gplracer
    edited December 2002
    Thanks for the suggestions but nothing has helped. I think the tweeter might be blown. I am going to take it back to Circuit City and let them service it. Maybe that is why it was an open box in the first place. Anyway I still think I got a good deal.

Could I take the wire metal wire off and hook it up to the top post just to see if the tweeter by itself works? Maybe the connection is not good.
  • gplracer
    edited December 2002
    Dr. Spec I bet you love your SVS! I have twin cs+20-39 SVS subs with a Samson 1000 watt amp. They are the best!!!!!!