Help me find music

Options
dudeinaroom
dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
edited December 2006 in Music & Movies
Ok this is what I am looking for.
I would like some really dynamic classical music, not the pansy wansy put you to sleep stuff, but the stuff that will make you think wow this is beautiful, and then kicks you right in the mid section.:D

I am also looking for some big band music kind of like Glenn Millers in the mood, and The Brian Setzer Orchestra's jump jive and wail. That really up beat swing type of music. Most of the big band music I have found is to mellow, or of poor quality

Some artist, bands, or song would be excellent.;)

Thanks all,:rolleyes:

Dude
Post edited by dudeinaroom on

Comments

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Wagner and Tchaikovsky are a good start for big booming "heavy metal" classical music.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Not really swing or big band music, but I saw a live Irish "folk rock" band in Indy awhile ago and they were great. I will say their live performance crushed the compact disc, but it is great to listen to nonetheless. Name of the band is Searson.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2006
    Options
    It may sound funny, but I've always felt the Fantasia soundtrack is a pretty good, lively, classical sampler.

As for big band, I don't know if this qualifies, but try some Gene Krupa. His band gets the blood flowing.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    Options
    don't know how well it will work for classical music, but I enjoy listening to Pandora when I'm looking for new music.

http://www.pandora.com/
  • dudeinaroom
    edited December 2006
    Options
    PhantomOG wrote:
    don't know how well it will work for classical music, but I enjoy listening to Pandora when I'm looking for new music.

http://www.pandora.com/

I forgot all about pandora

Thanks for the replies guys,

Ted
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Pandora rocks. I've discovered quite a bit of new tunes using Pandora.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Ted, my own listening is almost entirely classical and there're quite a few colorful, dynamic works that should be what you're looking for: The Planets ; The Rite of Spring ; The Miraculous Mandarin ; Swan Lake ; Scythian Suite ; Hungarian Dances ; Roman Festivals .
  • dudeinaroom
    edited December 2006
    Options
    thanks for the info John
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Options
    John K. wrote:
    Ted, my own listening is almost entirely classical and there're quite a few colorful, dynamic works that should be what you're looking for: The Planets ; The Rite of Spring ; The Miraculous Mandarin ; Swan Lake ; Scythian Suite ; Hungarian Dances ; Roman Festivals .

I second those picks . . Try hearthedifference, Don D'Alfonso is the owner, ask him what kind of kick **** classical he has. . . he'll set you straight. The Firebird, In the Hall of the Mountain King, Beethoven's 5th & 9th, the 1812 Overture, Carmen. I'll keep coming back to this as the spirit moves me. Glenn Miller "In the Digital Mood" will keep ya swingin.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I won 2 classical cd's at Polkfest. Not a big fan of classical but when i listened to them i was very impressed. Not sure what they were offf the top of my head. When I get home from work i'll post them.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture
    Telarc DVD-A

DO NOT CRANK THIS DVD-A without listening a lower volume first!!!!!!

Not intended for wimpy surround speakers.

Trust me on this one.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Frank Z wrote:
    Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture
    Telarc DVD-A

DO NOT CRANK THIS DVD-A without listening a lower volume first!!!!!!

Not intended for wimpy surround speakers.

Trust me on this one.

I blew tweeters on RTR 300Ds, RTR 600Ds, and SDA/SRSs using the LP version of this recording. These were not wimpy speakers but those cannon (Howitzers) blasts are very stunning. The dynamic range on this recording is very very wide and the lower levels could cause you (it did me and I was very familiar with the recording) to increase the volume. It is very awesome indeed. This will keep you jumping. The flip side is I believe an Hungarian Dance which is quite good also.
  • dudeinaroom
    edited December 2006
    Options
    thanks again all. I have some of the ones that are listed.DVD-A is not an option, However SACD is. I no longer have a 5.1 system hooked up so multi-channel is not a big concern
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Ted, one more point about classical recordings: often there are dozens of different performances of the same composition available, and they differ greatly in the quality of the orchestra, conductor, recording, etc. In other words it isn't a good idea to buy a disc at random simply because it happens to contain a specific composition that you're interested in. The links I gave were for those specific CDs, and it's entirely possible to get a CD of the same composition which may be relatively disappointing.

Since HI mentioned the Firebird in his reply and you indicated an interest in SACDs, let me bring to your attention a really excellent Firebird on SACD .
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    John K. wrote:
    Ted, one more point about classical recordings: often there are dozens of different performances of the same composition available, and they differ greatly in the quality of the orchestra, conductor, recording, etc. In other words it isn't a good idea to buy a disc at random simply because it happens to contain a specific composition that you're interested in. The links I gave were for those specific CDs, and it's entirely possible to get a CD of the same composition which may be relatively disappointing.

Since HI mentioned the Firebird in his reply and you indicated an interest in SACDs, let me bring to your attention a really excellent Firebird on SACD .

Don't remember off the top of my head the orchestra but I do remember it being a Telarc LP. They have it out on CD also.
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited December 2006
    Options
    A great up-tempo swing music CD is Joe Jackson's one and only foray into that type of music, "
    Joe Jackson's Jumpin' Jive." It is not a tremendous recording but the performances are great. I also think Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's self titled debut was really good. Also if you want to go more old school look for Les and Larry Elgart's best of CD....excellent big band music.

As for the classics, a few "big" pieces of music that come to mind are "The Planets" (Holst), Mahler's "Titan" Symphony, Dvorak's "New World Symphony", Berlioz' "Symphonie Fantastique".
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Try "Finlandia" by Jean Sibelius.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Fantasia soundtrack is good, especially Night On Bold MTN, I second that recommendation.

1812 can't go wrong with that.

Malhers 2 symphony however will shake you to the core, start with the last movemnet.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Dukas: The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Saint-Saens: Dance of the Macbe (Danse Macbre)

Falla: The Ritual Fire Dance

Mussorgsky: Night on Bare (Bald) Mountain
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Sorry it took so long. Here are the cd's I won at Polkfest.

Stravinsky, The firebird petrushka fireworks.

Richard Strauss in High Fidelity Chicago symphony orchestra

Hope this helps.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Sorry to derail this a little, but a little on this subject so here goes.

Does anyone remember the website that looked like clouds. You would put in a group or song (If I remember right) then it would show you others like that group or song.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited December 2006
    Options
    ^ Are you sure that's not pandora? They do the EXACT same thing, except play the music as well.

Or was this a simple text based thing where it would give you a list of possible matches?
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2006
    Options
    No it was not Pandora, or can I say if so they changed it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,463
    edited December 2006
    Options
    As others have said 1812 Overture is awesome. Mine is a Telarc, usually the only classical/jazz cd's I buy anymore, and it even has a warning label inside. Pretty much says no matter how good/expensive your system is, if the volume is up too high, you'll fry your stuff, at least part of it. Don't ask me how I was stupid enough to push that envelope...
    I always thought the Gettysburg soundtrack was great, even though the recording quality isn't the best.
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • fbwinners
    fbwinners Posts: 26
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the PANDORA suggestion on this thread, never been before tonight but will live there from this point on!!!!!!!!

Thanks, FB
    TV - TOSHIBA 47LZ196
    FRONTS - RTI10'S
    CENTER - CSI5
    SUB - PSW 404
    SURROUND - RC8OI
    AV RECEIVER - ONKYO TXSR 804B
    HDDVD - TOSHIBA HDA2
    SACD/CD/DVD CHANGER - YAMAHA DVC6770