Sacd?

nico
nico Posts: 104
edited November 2002 in Electronics
:) Does anyone here have any opinion on SACD's? Can you really hear the difference between regular and SACD? I just bought the SONY NS755V player and I listened to the sampler that came with it and I couldn't really hear the difference. The only difference I can tell is that when playing SACD I had to turn the volume up higher. Any opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks NICO
SONY 4ES RECEIVER
EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
DENON DVD 2200
SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
RTI50, CS400I, RTI38, RT55I, INFINITY IL SUB
MONSTER CABLES
SONY LCD 50" VEGA
Post edited by nico on

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2002
    First you connect the 5.1 analog output of the player to your receiver, then you use the bass management in your player to set up your speakers, size, distance, delay...etc. Your player will not output the SACD soundtrack to the digital output, and most of the receivers (except some good, expensive one) don't have the bass management control for SACD and DVD-A, therefore the set-up for basss management is absolutely required.One you get this procedure square away, you're are ready to enjoy SACD music, remember all of your speaker must have the same quality and must be full range speakers, same brand would be a good start, same tweeter drivers are better,and same size of mid and bass drivers would be best. Plus you must have a good sub woofer to handle the low bass for the .1 channel. Throw away the sample disc, I dont even look at it. Try some of these disc:

Boston: the "more than a feeling track" is outstanding

Michael Jackson: the " Billy Jean" track: the clarity and stereo separation and dynamic rythm of this track will blow your away.

Santana: the 2 classic tracks: Oye co mova and black magic women are also very...very good.

The above two are record in 2 channels, but these track are so far superior to the regular CD tracks.

For multi channels try some of these SACD:

Celine Deon
    Toto IV
    Billy Joel
    Areosmith also has a double SACD package, "Dream on" is my favorite track.

Then you can go back and post a way your thoughts...cheers
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited November 2002
    I listened to a couple of SACD ( Sony, Marantz) players while I demo'd some subs last week. I thought the sound quality was well worth the upgrade. It's high definition audio at its best. The higher channel separation makes imaging rock solid and SACD adds a 3D quality to those images. I think SACD is very system dependant and the higher end systems will benefit the most from this technology. If you have a system that shows the flaws of your CD player, this may be the upgrade for you. If you’re not sure if this technology is right for you, take advantage of an audio stores return policy and do a home demo first. See how well this product fairs in your system before committing to it. I do believe SACD is not for everyone. If your system can’t process the difference, you will not hear one.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2002
    Question - Have you used the 6 analog connections to your receiver and if so have you set your receiver to use the analog source. If not you are simply listening to a regular CD layer of the disc and there is no improvement. You cannot pass the SACD info through a digital or optical cable.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • nico
    edited November 2002
    Thanks for all of your inputs. I do have it hooked up to the 6 analog connections. It bypasses the digital hook up. One press of a button and it goes to the multi channel mode. By the way I have the SONY 4ES and this has the dedicated hook up for SACD players. Maybe I haven't given it enough playing time to me it sounds like listening to DTS DVD's ie. DIANA KRALL, SANTANA, EAGLES. Are you guys saying that my rt55 cs400i and rt35's are not good enough for SACD formats? Thanks NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2002
    That set-up should be very good for SACD. I use the RT55is and they are very good for SACD. I don't know what else to tell you other than to make sure that you are bypassing the reciever's DAC and with a direct analog signal. I hope it gets better for you as my experience with SACD is excellent.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited November 2002
    Nico:

I'm not judging your system because I haven’t heard your setup before. I listened to SACD on a $2800 Def tech/Carver system and on a $40k Martin Logan/Krell system. The quality of system is a factor. It was a night and day experience with the Logan/Krell system, where there was some noticeable difference on the def Tech/Carver system. Most people are expecting this huge change when they switch to SACD. You may notice some great changes on certain tracks from certain CD’s, but everything changes on the really high end equipment. Mathew Polk designed the new LSi speakers with SACD in mind and the difference it makes on these compared to the RT line is going to be more prominent with the right equipment. Everyone here that has a pair of LSi’s can tell you how much more detailed they are than the rest of the line. I have listened to high resolution 24/192 audio on my 2.3tl’s and there is a smoother, tighter more well rounded change, but not enough to set the world on fire. The people that are touting SACD are the ones with the exotic mega buck equipment. Read some of these SACD player reviews and check out some of the systems their judging their findings on. I could buy a new Jaguar for the same price. What SACD will do is replace some of these super exotic CD players that can only attempt what SACD brings to the table.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    Your system is certainly handle SACD well, in fact your speakers system are very good set up for this type of multi channel sound, I bet you can hear the music very bright the clarity is very good. You may have one the issue to deal with is the lack of bass. I owned a Sony 555 ES receiver and I do have the same pair of RT55i like you, but lacking of bass manegement control, even though with other regular CD and DVD, the ES receiver seems to not produce enough bass sound for all channel, except the LFE for the sub. On the Sony, when you litsen to SACD 2 channels, you will expeirence this problem since there will be no LFE, rear and center channels. I had make several ajustment and teaking the receiver and so far It doesn't work very well. I finally gave it up, dump the ES receiver, replace it with the new Yamaha HTR 5590 receiver and everything came to live, the bass now is powerfull and tight on the RT55, CS350, CS300(rear center) and the RT25 (rear) can even pick up some. I will say this, I will never buy another Sony receiver regarless it's a ES series or not. Of course this the system for my bedroom and the main system I have for the living room is another story, never have a problem with the Pioneer 39TX receiver to drive the big monsdo Polk PSW 1200.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited November 2002
    I think SACD is a great improvement. My player is one of the early 2 channel versions which lets me compare cd to SACD on the same field. The SACD has more deffenition and really makes you feel that they are in the room. Granted I am sending the signal to my SRS's and using them to test with. The 800i's which are like your 55i's are great for HT but I like more speaker for my 2 channel rig. I am in the opinion you need 2 seperate systems or a very high end single system. My HT system is great for DTS but if I wante good stereo I would have choose the 3000i's. With HT you need to ballance the front sound stage. The 400i is a great match for the 800i's or your 55i's. It sounds like you have a great HT syetem. Enjoy it.
  • nico
    edited November 2002
    Thanks Jdavy I think SACD is growing on me. I think I'm going to pick up CHRIS BOTTI also. I listened to this at good guys and it sounded great. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • nico
    edited November 2002
    :confused::confused: Happy thanksgiving everyone! Does any one here know if there is a way to switch from 2 channel to multi channel on the SONY NS755V without stopping the player? I also have a SONY RM AV3000 remote and if there is any way I can program the function in to it. Thanks in advance for your help. NICO:cool: :cool:
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited November 2002
    I do believe that you have to stop the cd first. You can just switch between them when playing. That is how it is on my system too.
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • nico
    edited November 2002
    I don't think you can switch while playing a disc it always ask you to stop and try again. Unless I'm doing something wrong. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    You have to use the menu screen to change, since they are on two different tracks, you can't change it when the disc is playing