palebluedot
palebluedot Posts: 18
edited November 2002 in Speakers
First of all, the setup:
Fronts: R30's
Center: CSi30
Surround: R15's
Sub: Definitive Technology PowerSub80.

Alright, I have the opportunity to replace the R15's with a pair of FXi30's for a decent price. Bipolar/Dipolar, woo woo, right? Well, my first question is if these FX speakers are suitable to my room setup.

Pictures at:
http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24525

Due to weird room dimensions and shape, location of electrical outlets and a few annoying pillars, I've pretty much been forced to setup my room with the TV in a corner. Not quite the square or rectangle most have. So basically my theater is in a 90 degree pie slice. The R15's are placed just behind the seating area on the outside walls. Therefore the R15's are about 2 1/2 times the distance apart as the Front Left & Right's are. They are also firing at a 90 degree angle to eachother.

I guess I'm looking for feedback on anyone who may have a setup similar to mine and if they have tried both Bi/Dipoles and Directs. Anyone willing to theorize on the benefit or lack of would be appreciated as well.
Post edited by palebluedot on

Comments

• palebluedot
    palebluedot Posts: 18
    edited November 2002
    ...Also I've read some saying directs are better for DVD-Audio. Since I really enjoy DVD Audio, comments here would also be welcome.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2002
    id suggest just get directs.....lol - because i dont like the sound of di/bipoles newayz...cant stand em but i like direct because i like all channel stereo imaging...and well...think about that....lol but id just get direct speakers
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    I like the Bi/Dipoles. Keep in mind that the idea is to serve up a sound field that is not localized. This applies to any soundtrack, movie or music.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    I think your set up is fine, no need to spend more money to get the Bi/Dipoles, I doubt that you can hear the different or get the better results. I replaced my Bi/Dipoles last month with a pair of RT 25i, and my bedroom system (RT55i, CS350, RT25i, CS300 (center rear), JBL 120II (LFE sub), AR 112S(extra sub for rear channels)) did sound a whole lot better, but this is my personal opinion, others may disagree. I like my bedroom system the way it set up now. Now I will try to sell the pair of Polk RT/FX (Bi/Dipoles).
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    I use CS245i direct radiating center channels for my surrounds.

I think its a lot of speaker for the money, and it timbre matches my mains and center, and is small enough to stand on end like a mini-tower.

They are about the same distance apart as the mains (about 10 feet), are situated about 6 feet behind the key listening positions about 4 feet off the ground (head height when seated), and are toed inwards so they fire directly towards the listeners on the couch.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS