Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited November 2006
    Marchand XM44 active crossover for my Innersound Eros MKII speakers. The first design Innersound bass amp/active crossover only had one knob to control bass/mids. The XM44 has seperate low and high controls for my bass amp and panel amp, with a 5dB mids boost control in the 5Hz to 2KHz range allowing me unlimited, picky bastage flexibility.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited November 2006
    I'll be stealing my gf's or 'rents digital camera to post some pics, hopefully of my HK 635, both B&K late 80's gear, and maybe even one of my carver tfm-6cb (love those little guys, so damn versatile).

All this green I drop on audio gear, and I can't drop $250 on a camera. . . just seems silly.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited December 2006
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2006
    SCompRacer wrote:
    Marchand XM44 active crossover for my Innersound Eros MKII speakers. The first design Innersound bass amp/active crossover only had one knob to control bass/mids. The XM44 has seperate low and high controls for my bass amp and panel amp, with a 5dB mids boost control in the 5Hz to 2KHz range allowing me unlimited, picky bastage flexibility.
    I like that xm44.Nice neat layout on the PC boards and by the look of it ,it uses stepped attenuators for level control instead of pots which is a nice touch.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2006
    CJ PV-7 Tube Pre-Amp....look at that MINT faceplate and guess what year it was manufactured? 1987.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    Mark,
    very nice piece !

does she sound as good as she looks ?
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    dorokusai wrote:
    CJ PV-7 Tube Pre-Amp....look at that MINT faceplate and guess what year it was manufactured? 1987.

No matter how old or out of style CJ gear is always beautiful.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    Guts of Marsh A200S...

BTW -- what are those 4 little circular thingys on each side of the chassis?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2006
    Early B. wrote:
    Guts of Marsh A200S...

They look like the output transistors, but I don't see the reasoning for having them lay flat without a surface against those huge heatsinks. The heatsinks look like they are serving no purpose in those photos to me. I'm sure I'm missing something.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Systems
    edited December 2006
    Early B. wrote:
    Guts of Marsh A200S...

Very nice amplifier Early,those circle thingies are the output transistors.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited December 2006
    The heatsinks look like they are serving no purpose in those photos to me. I'm sure I'm missing something.
    They are mounted to a metal L bracket which is screwed to the heat sink.You can see white thermal grease around the edges of the L bracket where it attaches to the heat sink which helps heat transfer.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited December 2006
    Zero wrote:
    Early,

They are mosfets.
    Actually those are bi-polar transistors.Marsh uses fets elsewhere in the gain stages but bipolars for the outputs.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,051
    edited December 2006
    Bipolars can look like Mosfets when they are in a "can" (the metal encasing). Not all bipolars come in a "can". It just depends on who/how they are manufactured.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Early B.
    edited December 2006
    Zero wrote:
    ...Cool amplifier.. one of the better sounding class A/B amp's I've heard for the price (at least, when ran direct). I hope she sings for you!

Sounds great so far. Still waiting on my tube pre to arrive. Then we'll see how the Marsh with tube pre stacks up against the Jolida tube int. amp.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Systems
    edited December 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    Bipolars can look like Mosfets when they are in a "can" (the metal encasing). Not all bipolars come in a "can". It just depends on who/how they are manufactured.
    Yes correct I have seen Mosfets and bipolars in TO3 metal can's and both in the now more popular TO3P plastic case.Marsh does use bipolars for his outputs though.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    GV#27 wrote:
    Marsh does use bipolars for his outputs though.

Agreed
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    Zero wrote:
    Early,

I look forward to reading your impressions.

Yes, impressions once you have had a chance to break her in.
  • Systems
    edited December 2006
    Yes I would also like to know your impressions.I bet you will like it a lot.
    It is very nicely put together and designed by a great engineer.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Early B.
    edited December 2006
    I noticed that when powered on, the Marsh has these little red lights (4 pair plus two up front) on the circuit board that light up. Does anyone know what their function is?

If you take another look at the pics I posted, the lights run horizontal in the middle of the board.

• Systems
    edited December 2006
    Sometimes LED's are used in bias circuits instead of regular diodes.Maybe thats the case with this unit?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited December 2006
    Did I mention these are some good pics?:D
  • Kahuna
    Kahuna Posts: 35
    edited December 2006
    dorokusai wrote:
    You guys are lame....imagine re-tubing this to the tune of 22 tubes....

dorokusai what make is this? (Possibly a BSR ADC B100?)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited December 2006
    The ADC B100 had 13 tubes, all 6DJ8's. I (briefly) owned one and posted a photo or two of it earlier in this thread (post #139).
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2006
    My 350a developed a problem in the last few weeks; the right channel was going on and off; I could fix it by touching/moving the RCA plug; another thing I noticed was that the center (vocals) were all over the place...sometimes to the right, sometimes to the left, sometimes dead center....

So I decided to get the original RCA jacks (Thanks to Dave Belles who pointed me to the right place to get them) and changed them today; the problem was not the jack itself, but the solder on the board was broken (not sure if it can be seen in the picture..the little connections to the right; the big ones are just to fix the jack to the board).

Edit: yes, it can be seen if the picture is enlarged to the original resolution)

Anyway, the problem is fixed and thought I'd share some guts:)

The toroidal is almost 4" high and diameter is 7"....never seen such a big one

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2006
    Kahuna wrote:
    dorokusai what make is this? (Possibly a BSR ADC B100?)

It's a Fisher 400...not exact on the year but its old.

Good work HTrookie. The broken joint is easy to see in that pic and a common problem in gear. Well, common in that I've seen that as a simple fix for a bunch of gear over the years. That, and fuses.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited December 2006
    Picked up a vintage Sansui Eight receiver (circa '73-75) a couple days ago just for the heck of it and to have something to play with (it only cost $35).

It had some scratchy controls, which I fixed with Deoxit and cycling. Also cleaned the inside of the unit.

It's been fun to work on a vintage piece from when I was just out of diapers. Maybe my first re-cap job is next. This thing is built well and heavy (almost 40 lbs), has solid aluminum knobs and face, walnut case, and the classic 70's vibe. I've been hanging out a little in the Sansui forum over at audiokarma.org. This old Sansui stuff has quite a following.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2006
    Looks nice.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2006
    Innersound Active Crossover / 600 wpc (Bass) Amplifier with Remote!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Systems
    edited December 2006
    Thats a fine lookin piece ,nicely put together .The remote is a nice touch also being able to adjust bass level from the listening chair is a bonus.
    What kind of woofers are you using with the ESL,s?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Halo wrote:
    Innersound Crossover (Bass) Amplifier with Remote!

Very pretty stuff Vic.