PSW650 - What to set receiver crossover HZ?

Options
styles
styles Posts: 22
Hi all,

I've have a PSW650 connected from the receiver's (Harmon/Kardon AVR510) sub output to the sub's LFE input. The receiver's sub out is filtered. It has the option of setting the crossover to 40Hz or 60Hz. The tech at Harmon/Kardon recommended setting it to 60Hz because he believed 40Hz was too low..

What do you guys recommend?? 40Hz for the PSW650 or 60Hz?

Thanks..
Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

Fronts: RT2000I
Center: CSi40
Surrounds: FXi50 *waiting in box
Sub: PSW650

JVC DVD Player
Monster Cables
Post edited by styles on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Options
    What kind of mains do you have? I think 60 would be the best out of those two options.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Are you sure those are your only two options?

Most people set the speaks to small and use 80 or 100 Hz.

It's better than 40, certainly, but even 60 seems a little low to me.

If you are using smaller speaks or satellites, you're asking a lot from them to play loud at 60 Hz. Conversely, if your speaks are large, you might be fine at 60.

Depends on the rest of your speakers - what do you have?

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • phuz
    edited November 2002
    Options
    The Dr. is right, my HK 510 will do 80 and 100. I think you need to check your front speaker and sub settings. Setting your fronts to large will only give you 40 and 60 I think, set your mains to small and you will get 80 and 100. Also make sure you select LFE and NOT LFE+L/R on the reciever.
  • styles
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Hmm.. your both right.. :)

I have two RT2000I floorstandings and a CSi40 center.. No surrounds yet..

The two mains are set to large, I have the sub out set to LFE+L/R, and the center set to large on the receiver. This only gives me the 40 and 60Hz option.

I have the two fronts set to large and LFE+L/R because they're self-amplified. I have them hooked up directly from the receiver and a single RCA from the receiver to the sub's LFE input. You guys think it would be better to set the front speakers to small and only do LFE and not LFE +L/R for the sub??

To be honest, it doesn't feel like the sub is working very hard. I hear more bass from the RT2000I's than the PSW650. I have the sub turned up to 8 on the front panel and +3db higher than the other speakers on the receiver side..
    Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

JVC DVD Player
    Monster Cables
  • phuz
    edited November 2002
    Options
    The way you have your system currently setup, your mains are putting out a good portion of the lower frequencies. Especially if you have the LFE on the reciever set at 40hz. Your sub really isn't working hard at all. :)

If I were you I would spend a good few hours playing with things to see what I thought sounded best.

Set those mains and center to small, then set the sub to LFE only - and cross it over at 80 or 100 on the reciever. You will get a lot more sound (kaboom!) out of the sub than the mains.

The LFE and LFE+L/R option is only for the sub right? I think so. This means it doesn't have any effect on your mains. The only thing you can do with the mains is set them to large or small. Wichever you choose will determine the crossover point.

Mains set to large: you have the 40 and 60hz options
    Mains set to small: you have the 80 and 100hz options

To many people it makes sense if you have a sub, to let the sub do the majority of the grunt work. Thats what it's meant to do right? So I say go with the small/80-100 option.

A lot of people prefer to do this because 5.1 material is pretty resource (power/DB range) intensive when it comes to the LFE and lower frequency signals. Save the lower end on your mains for music, and let that sub do it's job for movies, etc. It can be difficult to set up properly, but it's safer and more efficient in the long run.

Just my opinion of course.

/rant
  • styles
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys..

Phuz, yeah, i'm gonna try changing the mains to small and putting more load on the sub. I'll play around with it to see what sounds best to me.. Thanks..
    Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

JVC DVD Player
    Monster Cables
  • gregoryjtan
    gregoryjtan Posts: 1
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I have the same dilemma. I have the RTI70s in front and a PSW202 as a sub. Do you think setting the mains to small is ideal since they technically can handle frequencies well below 100?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited November 2002
    Options
    "The LFE and LFE+L/R option is only for the sub right? I think so. This means it doesn't have any effect on your mains."

Phuz, what exactly is the difference between LFE and LFE+L/R?

Without reading the manual, I would guess that:

LFE = sends only the LFE signal to the sub, and sends a full range signal to the mains.

LFE+L/R = sends the LFE signal to the sub, and also redirects bass intended for the mains to the sub below the user specified x-over point - that being 40, 60, 80, or 100, depending on speaker size.

I would also bet that selecting small automatically sets the center and rear surround speaks to small and redirects bass for those speakers too.

Unless I'm in left field, if you want the sub to handle more bass, and the mains/center/surrounds (when you buy them) to handle less bass, I would try this:

1) speaks to small

2) sub setting LFE+L/R

3) crossover at 80 or 100 Hz

4) RCA sub cable to LFE (Unfiltered) input on PSW650

Doc

SVS
  • phuz
    edited November 2002
    Options
    From the manual for my AVR-510:

"If a subwoofer is connected and you wish to
    use it for bass reproduction in conjunction
    with the main front left/right speakers,
    regardless of the type of program source or
    Surround mode you are listening to, press
    the ‹/› buttons o on the remote
    so that SUB LFE+L/R appears in
    the on-screen menu. When this option is
    selected, a full-range signal will be sent to
    the front left/right “main” speakers
    , and the
    subwoofer will receive the bass frequencies
    under frequency selected in the next option
    setting on this menu, as described below."

Unless you want a full range signal going to your mains, stick with the LFE only.

I had to double check that one Doc. Your logic is good, but H/K's logic isn't. ;)
  • Dr. Spec
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Thanks - that's why I asked. It is counter-intuitive, I agree. PHUZ RULES!!!!!!

In that case:

small
    LFE
    80 or 100

Doc

SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I say large and 60.

;)

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.