RTi70's "LARGE" or "small"

botany
botany Posts: 68
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Hello,
Should I set the RTi70's to large or small???? I have a PSW605 sub. I'am using the RM7600 as surrounds and rear speakers with a extra psw202 sub on the other side of the room.

So would the fronts be set Large or small?????

Thank you for all your help,
man, I been working like a dog all night, pulling wire hooking up wires, man does it ever stop :):):)

Botany
Post edited by botany on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    Set them to small and let the sub handle the low end.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Try it both ways, I had the 800's for quite some time set to large. They can handle it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • spyderman
    spyderman Posts: 678
    edited November 2002
    Hey Botany,

Considering your subs, I'd definitely set them to small. I know, setting the Rti70's to small must feel like you're hunting mice with an elephant gun.

I set my RT55's to large and there was a noticable drop off in the low end. But, do try it both ways and keep the setting you like best.

Regards,
    Spyder
    RTi70 Fronts
    CSi40 Center
    RTi38 Rear
    PSW650 Sub
    Str-de1075 Receiver

Hope is on the way!

ABB

• spyderman
    spyderman Posts: 678
    edited November 2002
    Just wondering if you have had enough time to play with your new toys? Any opinions/reviews?

Thanks,
    Spyder
    RTi70 Fronts
    CSi40 Center
    RTi38 Rear
    PSW650 Sub
    Str-de1075 Receiver

Hope is on the way!

ABB

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    Bontany,
    If you have the ability in your receivers/preamps crossover setting to set it at 60hz,then small all day,if not run em in large my man.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2002
    What receiver are you using? I know that with Onkyo and I think Yamaha. The receiver's x-over will cut the mains at 80hz when set to large and the small setting will cut at 120hz. This is when the subwoofer is selected as "ON". I have my 800i set to large and subwoofer on. Use the setting that allow the mains to blend in with the subwoofer better.

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    organ..........Yamaha is locked in at 90hz my man.

you also got your bass management alitte off base(or bass...LOL)......let me help.

When you set your speakers to Large.....that means 20hz to 20Khz.......full bandwith for that channel.

Now when you select small......whatever the crossover point is selected(if adjustable in the pre amp or receiver)Thats where the small speakers are getting,everything above that given number.

Hows that?;)
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    I prefer my mains bi-amped through my sub, with the right main set to large and stood upside down, the left set to small and wired out of phase. I then take the LFE from the receiver and send it to my turntable.

I could just be drunk, but I swear it sounds KILLER.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I prefer my mains bi-amped through my sub, with the right main set to large and stood upside down, the left set to small and wired out of phase. I then take the LFE from the receiver and send it to my turntable.

Cheers,
    Rooster

Goddammit Russ - you are on a roll tonight. We are ROFLOL over here in Mullen Clan land.

:D

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Well, if it sounds better to you, than it must be a fact. Right?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2002
    Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that the x-over I described is for stereo and pro-logic(and DSP's). Mantis is right about the 20-20 for DD and DTS. I don't use my system for HT very often and that I was describing my preferred 2ch set up.

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    I gotta agree with liv4fam on the **** comments.I'm guilty anyway so be it I say.

Russ sounds like your in wire hell.Might want to call your local Installer's to bail you out of your mess......Are you working now ?they do cost alot to come out.

I would personally like to come over and help,But I'm quite far away,you could send me some plane tickets and a pre pay up front and I could manage your wires...............
    Dan
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Cheers,
    Rooster

I'm going to try that tonight when I get home. ;)
    ***WAREMTAE***