A Cultist's Family Heirloom

DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Recently I was wondering what to get myself for Christmas this year. Although I haven't been very good, I have been very careful, and caution should be rewarded.

I received notification from a fellow cultist that a pair of SDS SRS's, in oak, was for sale in Nashville. Since Nashville is only a 10 hour drive from me, I decided to investigate. The seller informed me that he bought them from his brother 11 years ago (he still has original boxes, receipt, manual, etc.). The seller is going off to grad school in January and absolutely will not have the room for them.

The seller was not sure which version he had, but he knew there were three different versions of the SRS. I could tell from his pictures that he had either the SDA SRS or the SDA SRS 1.2. The silver coil dome SL-2000 tweeters were unmistakeable. Also, the metal crossover cover panel of his speakers had four screws along the top and bottom with five screws in the center. The SDA SRS and the SDA SRS 1.2 have his screw arrangement. The SDA SRS 1.2TL has four screws along the top and bottom and only one screw in the center of the panel.

The crossover screw configuration is important because some people have "upgraded" their SDA SRS 1.2's by simply replacing the SL-2000 tweeters with the SL-3000 tweeters. If you run across a pair of "SDA SRS 1.2TL's" with the gold tinted SL-3000 tweeters but the crossover panel has thirteen screws rather than nine, you are looking at a compromised, "upgraded" set of speakers. The SDA SRS 1.2's crossover was not designed for the SL-3000 tweeter. There are significant differences between the SRS SDA 1.2's BE-2000-B crossover and the SDA SRS 1.2TL's BE-2000-C crossover.

Most SRS's have the blade/blade interconnect cable, but a few were made in 1987 with the pin/blade cable. The SDA SRS 1.2 and the SDA SRS 1.2TL, as well as all other SDA models that began production in 1987 have the pin/blade interconnect cable. The seller's SRS's had the blade/blade interconnect. The dead giveaway was the "SRS" and not "SRS 1.2" in the serial number on the rear stickers. Once we knew which version we were dealing with, I had to decide what I wanted to do.

So, what did I do? I bought 'em of course. They arrive November 30th.:D The seller offered to deliver them himself, which I gladly and readily accepted. He did not want to ship them. I didn't want him to ship them either.

They are going from here:

SDA_SRS_both_front.jpg

To here:

SDA_1C_CRSm.jpg

The SDA 1C's are going into storage. They are not and will not be for sale now or in the forseeable future.

This is how they look naked:

SDA_SRS_bare_front.jpg
Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
Post edited by DarqueKnight on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2002
    raife1,

Good read, thanks.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited November 2002
    Looks like Christmas is coming early this year! I bet Santa is relieved not having to tote those beasts down the chimney. BTW, their new home looks much more "homey". Looks great!

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• wasko
    wasko Posts: 10
    edited November 2002
    You seem to know your **** on the SRS SDA, 1.2 and 1.2tl; good information to know. I bet you can wait, time is going slow!! You lucky dog!! It looks like you might have some Adcom equipment also!!! Kudos!!

Jim
  • wasko
    wasko Posts: 10
    edited November 2002
    Just wondering what you had to pay for these classics.

You are one lucky man,

Jim
  • audionutt
    audionutt Posts: 97
    edited November 2002
    raife1 are you married?

joe
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2002
    Wasko,

The SRS's were $1400, which includes delivery.

Yes, I have quite a few Adcom amps, their high power, high current design are good matches for my SDA's. I am currently running:

An Adcom GFA-5802 to drive the SDA SRS 1.2TL's in my main audio system,

An Adcom 5500 to drive the SDA CRS+'s in my home office system,

An Adcom 5503 to drive the SDA 1C's in my master bedroom home theater system,

The front (SDA 1C), rear (SDA 1B), and two center channel speakers (SDA CRS+) in my home theater system are each driven by three Adcom 5500's.

The SVS CS Ultra subwoofers are each driven by an Adcom GFA-565 monoblock amp.

The SDA CRS+'s in my guest suite are driven by an Adcom GFA-555 Mk II.

The LSi9's in my system at work are driven by an Adcom GFA-555 Mk II.

Joe,

Nope, no "wife acceptance factor" to deal with here (yet).:cool:
  • audionutt
    audionutt Posts: 97
    edited November 2002
    just as i thought;)

joe
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by wasko
    Just wondering what you had to pay for these classics.

Jim

Jim,

Actually, this purchase was almost totally financed by selling some Polk speakers that were not being used or that were used infrequently:

Speaker:......................Sold For:

RT 55i................................$300
    RT 35................................$150
    RT 800i..............................$525
    PSW 650............................$325*
    .....Total.........................$1300

*I was sooooooooooooo glad to get rid of him!

$1400 (Price of SRS's) - $1300 (Sale Proceeds) = $100 out of pocket.:D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    Damn dude you got alot of Adcom amps........gee I wonder if your digging them.....no wife huh.........man wife......gear....wife....gear.......wife.....gear........Hmmmmm.Man.
    LOL
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2002
    Lets see, one wife VS giving up multiple amps, big speakers and updated electronics? She would have to do a lot of things really well, I mean REALLY WELL...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D