Need help from those with F/X1000's

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,621
edited November 2002 in Speakers
OK......i just got a pair of the f/x1000's (thank you Hoosier) and I'm confused by the manual........

So the speakers are labeled Left and Right.....but then on page 10 of the manual it says that the speakers should be placed so that the bi/dipole switch is facing the rear wall, which would be impossible based on them being labeled L and R as they currently are. It also says that the Polk logo screen is the side that the bi/dipole switch is on and that the logo should be facing the rear wall as well. With the left speaker on the left as i'm facing the front of the room, and same with the Right, the switches face the front, not the back wall.........I don't get it.......

Ultimately, I couldn't care less which side faces which, but when in dipole mode, I don't want the speakers phasing in the wrong direction. I most recently had a pair of dipole Boston Acoustics that i liked, but they peaked a few times and didn't sound all there. These sound really good, but i don't understand the contradiction. Maybe i'm making more out of this than necessary, but my understanding is that with dipole(how they're currently set up) it does make a difference which speaker is on what side based on the way that they're putting out the sound.........

Help............please..........

Thanks....
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• peteran
    peteran Posts: 141
    edited November 2002
    Your speakers should have LC for left channel and RC for right channel.
    The LC goes in the left side of your sitting position.
    So if you are sitting watching a movie the LC should be on your left side ( while you are facing forward) and the RC on your right side. By doing this the dipole bipole switch faces the back wall.
    I have the FXi50 and that how I have it set up.
    Hope this helped you.
  • brettw22
    edited November 2002
    That's the problem.........

With the speaker labeled LEFT on the left side of the seating position, and same for the RIGHT, my bi/dipole switches are facing the front, NOT the back.
  • jamesguthrie
    jamesguthrie Posts: 39
    edited November 2002
    brettw22,

I also own the F/X 1000s and have the same issue. I've thought about calling Polk and asking them, but have never gotten around to it. I have mine up right now with the switch facing the back (so that the "R" speaker is on the left and vice versa) becuase I figured that its more likely that the speakers were mislabeled than constructed incorrectly. That, plus they sound fine to me that way.

James
  • brettw22
    edited November 2002
    VERY good to hear that you have the same issue James. It's weird though........but I'm also curious if others have the same issue with these speakers being mislabeled.

I called Polk today and they said that until a month or two ago, they have had no system in place to track serial numbers, which to me is unbelievable. I asked if they could at least VERIFY serial numbers for me and the answer that I was given was no.

If there's anyone else that has experienced this with the f/x1000's, or any other speaker for that matter, please lemme know.

Thanks.....