free music

Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited October 2001 in Music & Movies
So I was on BMG's website the other night at like 2am (when I supposed to be studying) and decided to click on the free CD's button just to see what it said. Well, to my shock, they claimed that I had three free CD's that I had not claimed yet! I'm still trying to figure out why, but I have a few theories, most of which attribute it to an error on their part. So I pick out three CD's and go on my merry way. The next night, while I'm supposed to be studying, I go to their site and click the button again for **** and giggles. I'm entitled to another three free CD's!!! For these I have no explanation. So again I picked out three CD's and went on my merry way. I've checked back a few times since then, but it looks as though my good fortune has run out.

With two of these CD's I'm expanding my musical horizons a bit. I ordered the newly remastered Steinberg/Boston Symphony recording of "The Planets" (as per George's recommendation) and Diana Krall "When I Look Into Your Eyes." Diana Krall, for those of you who don't know, is a pretty popular jazz vocalist (who also plays piano). I've listened to a few MP3's of her, and I'm a little intrigued. I'm not sure I'm really going to like it, but it's really different. Anyway, just thought I'd share my good fortune!

Aaron
Post edited by Aaron on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    Just wait till he gets the 'selection of the month' in his mailbox for $24.99.....

Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited October 2001
    Heh-heh, yeah and the Selection of the Month is the Entire Handels Messiah as sung by Jar-Jar and the Ewoks.

That would be a classic!
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited October 2001
    Hahah! Man, if that wouldn't be cause for shooting yourself, I don't know what would!

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    I think you will like Diana Krall, Wendi has a couple of her cd's....good stuff I must say. I didn't think I would like it but it is cool and she is a hottie.

Apparently you aren't stressing too much about getting a real job, eh?

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    Your guys are great... I never get anything free so far, where the heck is luck when I really need it? As of today, BMG still bill me for the CD I never heard of or ordered it (I wrote to them several times, no luck)... stay away from them, they are worst than any cell phone services...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    see the trick is this.....the CD's are going to Aaron but the bill is under the name of some dude named Russ Gates somewhere in Tejas.....And Russ's wife is opening the bill wondering where all these cd's are....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2001
    George's music recommendations never cease to amaze me. I have two of versions. One is DPL by Isaio Tomita. They are both heavy on the synthesizers. They're both great. I've been planning on getting a fully orchestrated version. This is one of my favorite musical works. I've picked up two Zappas and that Buddy Rich he's always talking about. Right on George!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out.

I got a box from Columbia House a couple years ago full of movies. Apparently when we moved, some mail slipped by and got filled out in my name. I've called, complained, promised to mail it back so I don't get billed. I still have the movies but haven't gotten a bill.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2001
    I just picked up my third rendition of Holst-The Planets. It wasn't the one George suggested, but it was only $4.99. It's the Georgian Festival Orchestra recorded DDD (All digital). And besides, I was actually shopping anniversary gifts for the wife.

The wife gets:
    Dizzy Gillespie-Ken Burns Jazz
    Simon & Garfunkel-Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
    Tchaikovsky-Swan Lake (Boston Pops Orchestra)
    Make it Funky! :)
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited October 2001
    if you like jazz, check out Dave Brubeck--This is Jazz, Vol. 39, Dave Plays Standards--it's an excellent album; The Ultimate Bill Evans CD is great as well. i just got Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers' CD 'Moanin' and it's a really good one. I recomend Miles Davis also--check out Birth of the Cool, Blue Miles, and Kind of Blue.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2001
    Holst was a miracle worker. I can't speak too much for the other versions, but with Steinberg and The Boston Symphony, during the last 2 minutes or so of Jupiter, if you close your eyes you can actually "see" that bad boy spinning on its axis. Jupiter (the planet) is a BIG, BAD, mother.

I have the Dutoit/Montreal version, and I don't think that band could play its way out of a paper bag. I think I also have Mehta/New York also. Passable.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)