WTB 2 chn Stereo Receiver

Options
disneyjoe7
disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
edited November 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Looking for a cheap receiver for a second system to be a pre-pro driving an amp. This needs to be remote capable as I would turn off and on remotely. But the remote doesn't need to be part of deal.

Speakers
Carver Amazing Fronts
CS400i Center
RT800i's Rears
Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
Parasound Halo A23
Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
Pioneer 79Avi DVD
Sony CX400 CD changer
Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Post edited by disneyjoe7 on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I see I posted in the wrong area sorry. FM newbie.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I have just the ticket. A nice sounding Nakamichi Sr-3A reciever. Nelson Pass stasis output. I just went thru and cleaned all the controls w/DeOxit. Face plate is scratch/ding free. Typical scuffs and few small scratches on the top cover. 45 watts per channel with some heafty reserve power. All in all a very musical 2 channel reciever.

I am dismantling my computer rig to freeup some cash to cable up my main rig now that I have the Lsi's running. I was going to post this in the FM this weekend with pics, but I saw your post so here it is.

I'm looking at $120 plus shipping

I can provide more details on the unit as well as some pics if you want them.

Thanks

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Dammit, sorry I just reread the post. This Nak is NOT remote. :o

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    No Remote controlling, no pre-amp output :(

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Still looking for a receiver needs to be pre-amp out and remote control, I have an amp for this. The whole thing will be in a closet I may never see it again, so it needs to be remote controllable.

TKN has an Onkyo receiver is sweet I on this but too many people all ready is looking at it also. A day late dollar short :(

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2006
    Options
    How cheap? You can get the HK 3480 for less than $198 at harmanaudio.com; You can also get it from them on ebay...if you are not in a hurry you can get it around $160. The 3380 is even cheaper.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I like to get one for around $125 or less shipped. Due to what is will be used for it doesn't need to be pretty. I have a receiver I can use but it's not remote controllable, but it will work for now.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jawhog
    jawhog Posts: 444
    edited November 2006
    Options
    There must be tons out there. What about just a remote preamp? Haven't there been some remote controllable adcoms in recent past here? Anyway I have recommendation. Look for a HK 3300 or 3400. Comes with a remote and I believe it will do what you want. I have one, but am not ready to part with it yet. Still, they should come cheap nowadays (3400 cost $400 in the early 90's).

See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HARMAN-KARDON-STEREO-RECEIVER-HK3400_W0QQitemZ230049275040QQihZ013QQcategoryZ67799QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not sure if that guy has the remote or not, but it should work fine off a universal.

The inputs in the upper left on the back are labeled Subwoofer Out. I assume that this output is variable, although I've never tried it myself. Manual Says: "Subwoofer Out: Connect these jacks, if desired, to a powered subwoofer, or a power amplifier driving a subwoofer. This output may also be used for surround-sound equipment or any external component requiring a line level input"

I interpret that to mean it's a variable level line output.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I'm looking at a HK 3370 it looks sweet pre-amp output / remote control (I have a HK PA2000 amp for my porch speakers) the receiver will be drive this amp. My XM receiver and my 400cd changer will drive my receiver with analog input, these sources will be optical input for my family HT / 2 channel receiver.

BTW I'm a little confused because the HK3370 likes better then the HK3400 is the higher number 70 vs 00 better on HK receivers?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jawhog
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I think HK has had two models of a 2-channel receiver in their stable for a long time. So back in the early 90's it was the 3300 and the 3400 and over time as they evolve they keep adding to these base numbers, later becoming the 3350 and 3450 and now the 3380 and 3480, with possibly some other stops along the way. With a little patience, you should be able to find a 3400for $60 or less.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    The 3400 doesn't have the pre-amp out so I pass on this.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jawhog
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Reread post #9. I was just trying to point out that some of these older HKs don't appear at first glance to have preouts, when in fact they do.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Sorry not that model per manual PDF download.

BTW I take that for $10 plus shipping but I have too many receivers I don't wish to use now so adding to my collection would put my WIFE over the edge. Doing so I'm may never see Disney again :(

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I have both 3370 and PA2000 and if you get the receiver, you are better off just using the receiver IMO.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I will see or I can add amp to drive other speakers in the setup, so AVR drives 1 pair / amp drives another pair. So both will get higher wattage to both pairs.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited November 2006
    Options
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    I will see or I can add amp to drive other speakers in the setup, so AVR drives 1 pair / amp drives another pair. So both will get higher wattage to both pairs.
    I am not sure if the 3370 supports that. If it does, the receiver preouts needs to be hooked to external amp and then you need to route the PA2000 back to the receiver inputs. When you hook the receiver outputs the internal amp is shut down and I don't know if routing it back to receiver turns it on or not as I haven't tried it.

BTW, I just picked up Adcom GTP500 preamp from local fleemarket. I haven't checked if it works or not but should know later today. If interested send me a PM. I might part from the 3370 but that's an if, it does sound very good.
  • jawhog
    edited November 2006
    Options
    This is beating a dead horse, but I just tried using the subwoofer out, as per my post #9, and as explained in the manual, and the 3400 has volume controlled preouts that work just fine.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Jawhog,

Am I missing something is this PDF manual wrong. I see the sub woofer output, I don't see pre L/R outputs.

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner%27s%20Manual/HK3400_3300%20om.pdf

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Sami,

I wish to have a receiver for the remote control on / off, with the ability to switch inputs. Also didn't want this equipment on 24/7 I know it would be if it didn't have remote control.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer