Help with PC for my son!

Options
warlocks1
warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
My 11 year old is starting to get more and more into PC gaming and I would like to get him a computer for Christmas, so he stays off mine. I don't anything about gaming requirements for PC's and most of the ones he tries to load on my basic Dell P4 don't seem to work well. I have a extra P4 Dell with a broken CPU fan. Can I replace the fan and buy a video card to make this work for gaming? I think it is a 1700 ghz P4 with 512 mb ram. Or am I better off getting a new PC? If so, what do I need on the PC? I will most likely go through Dell. I can't afford a $1,000 PC. Thanks, Jeff
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2006
    Options
    You could buy a new fan and separate video card, but more than likely the system uses AGP so I don't think that's the best route.

If I were you I would just go configure a system with dell and make sure you get an upgraded video card (not internal). Shop around, find some coupons if available, and you should be able to get him an adequate gaming system for under $500 pretty easily.
  • jabrax
    jabrax Posts: 315
    edited November 2006
    Options
    For power games -

1700 may be approaching the minimum for new games

1 gig RAM is absolute minimum
    Most powerful video card you can afford - cut other junk if you have too

Power gaming cost, especially if he playing any of the more popular online role playing games :)
    TV...............Hitachi 42hdS52a plasma (sexy one with the swival)
    Pre/Processor - Emotiva MMC
    Seven Ch AMP - Emotiva LPA
    Fronts - Tyler Acoustics 7U's
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    DAC - Music Hall 25.3CD - Marantz cc4001
    Blue Ray - PS3
    Speaker cables - Audioquest cv4 dbs
    Interconnects - MIT AVT1's
    Power Filter....Monster HTS 3500 MKII
  • warlocks1
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I can give him my computer and take his, since I pretty only do internet and Word/excel file. My dell has 512 mb and the processor says "X86 family 15 model 3 stepping 4 genuine Intel 2992 Mhz. Is that any better for gamng? Can I out a video card inthis computer? I am confused, do I need a video card or a graphics card? Thanks, Jeff
  • lomic
    lomic Posts: 407
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I can give him my computer and take his, since I pretty only do internet and Word/excel file. My dell has 512 mb and the processor says "X86 family 15 model 3 stepping 4 genuine Intel 2992 Mhz. Is that any better for gamng? Can I out a video card inthis computer? I am confused, do I need a video card or a graphics card?

Your Dell has a decently fast processor, enough for general gaming. The problem with Dell is you have to check to see if there is an AGP slot on your motherboard, assuming it has either intigrated graphics, or a proprietary "small" AGP card right now. You'd also have to upgrade your memory - if you know how to do that, or you could bring it in to a store and have them charge you an obscene amount for 2 minutes work.

The problem I would advise you of, if you upgrade your current system, or buy a very inexpensive one now, you'll have no upgrade path a year or so from now when he'll want to be playing the newest games which will require Windows Vista. So you'll be buying a new computer a year or two from now anyway.

Do you know anyone that can build a system from scratch? Looking through Newegg.com, a very decent system which would be upgradable through 4+ years would run $750 for all the components.

If you decide to just up your current computer I suggest take it to a mom and pop computer store if you have one, buy 1GB and ask them if they can install it for you. Then grab one of these:

This one will run current games, but not too well on games in the near future.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125039

This one will run new games well and will be good enough for 1-2 years.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046

I can email you the Newegg item list if it's of any interest to you.
    Dodd Audio ELP [ Tubes ] // Harman Kardon AVR330 // Parasound HCA-1203A // Denon DVD-2900
    Polk Audio LSi9, LSiC, LSi 7 // HSU STF-2 // Signal Cable Interconnects (SG BW/A2/MP)
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited November 2006
    Options
    lomic wrote:
    The problem with Dell is you have to check to see if there is an AGP slot on your motherboard
    AGP, or better yet, PCI-e.

What Dell model is it?
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Might want to check out Alienware. They seem to be the gamer's messiah.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • warlocks1
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Computer is a Dell Dimension 3000.
  • lomic
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Alienware is now owned by Dell - you basically get a Dell in a fancy case that you're paying a lot of money for, because it's "extreme" :D
    Dodd Audio ELP [ Tubes ] // Harman Kardon AVR330 // Parasound HCA-1203A // Denon DVD-2900
    Polk Audio LSi9, LSiC, LSi 7 // HSU STF-2 // Signal Cable Interconnects (SG BW/A2/MP)
  • lomic
    edited November 2006
    Options
    warlocks1 wrote:
    Computer is a Dell Dimension 3000.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/budgetdesk/gr/DellDimens3000.htm

Cons

* No AGP/PCI-E Expansion Slot

Oops, that's the end of that idea.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2006
    Options
    lomic wrote:
    Alienware is now owned by Dell - you basically get a Dell in a fancy case that you're paying a lot of money for, because it's "extreme" :D

How long ago did that happen? I knew there was something familiar about their website layout.:rolleyes:
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • lomic
    edited November 2006
    Options
    About 6 months ago I believe.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2006
    Options
    just go get a dell you can get one that will play games very well for around 500. You can no longer even build a computer for what dell is selling them for, besides they have a decent warranty and service. that old p4 is not worth putting the money into.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    Options
    You'll likely pay less for a puter with an AMD processor and not lose any performance at all.....probably even get better performance. I've never had a single problem with an AMD processor...EVER!!!

Just another idea on how to save a little dough and get more puter for your money.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Both are great. Both have occasional problems. You can get amd's from dell now. Intel has the faster processor right now(core 2 duo,core 2 extreme)