Spam stopping idea

Options
disneyjoe7
disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Can Polk Forums use a system that would prevent someone for joining without owning Polk Speakers? Some kind of serial number vs. model number coding system. I now something like this maybe not in Polk best interest of an open forum to all who wish to own or learn more of Polk products, but I'm not sure about doing nothing is doing to this forum also. :rolleyes:

Speakers
Carver Amazing Fronts
CS400i Center
RT800i's Rears
Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
Parasound Halo A23
Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
Pioneer 79Avi DVD
Sony CX400 CD changer
Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Polk CS recommends people join the forum purely to take advantage of the discounted parts pricing, and blocking everyone isn't ever gonna happen..

What exactly would be the point of the forum if people can't post? Unfortunately, spammers are a fact of life............
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    Polk CS recommends people join the forum purely to take advantage of the discounted parts pricing, and blocking everyone isn't ever gonna happen..

What exactly would be the point of the forum if people can't post? Unfortunately, spammers are a fact of life............

Just my point if Polk recommends people to join the forum purely to take advantage of the discounted parts than they own Polk speakers and then have a serial # that would match the model # already. This wouldn't prevent someone joining or posting under my idea.

My idea just prevents just any Joe Blow posting Cell Phones for a dollar crap.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2006
    Options
    The only way you could do that would be to have the serial number that they try to register with checked against a master list of them and Polk doesn't have anything like that.

I could register tomorrow with a serial number of 8456795123 and the system would let me in.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,106
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Polk use to do this when I first joined under my first alias...

I distinctly remember using my RT25i serial numbers...

When I signed back under my current name - it was no longer required...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I wonder how many people hear about Polk, hit the forum, read and ask questions and then purchase. From a marketing perspective that would never fly. I agree, something should be done. What I have noticed is that very few newbies join the forum and then write over 100 lines in their introductory message. The latest, including spaces between the lines, was over 100. Perhaps putting a limit or detecting that it a large first or second post could raise the flag. Just a thought.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I think Polk has a system of which serial # to what model #, so just any # shouldn't work. And if a Member / Spammer who register under a serial # / model # who spammed this # should be flagged against any other registrations.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I think the DIYAudio Forum monitors the newbie posts before they are posted. You never see this stuff there or at AudioKarma. They have much stronger moderation. All of this cost money or depend upon the help of volunteers to be moderators. A big implementation problem. The spamers idiots are more of an annoyance than anything.
    Carl

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I used my R40 serials to register.

I like the idea of a monitoring program. First few posts must get approved by moderators. And there is no reason that some of the more seasoned members here can't serve as a moderator.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Spammers idiots are an annoyance, but take away the purest of any forum if not keep in check. IMHO

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,855
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Yep, Polk use to require serial numbers from Polk speakers before joining the forum. I quess Micah got sick of checking that all the time.

Bottom line, spammers are like that **** that won't flush. Mildly annoying, but another flush or two and it's history.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Polk should give a select few members authority to click a spam buttom in the report this post tab. That way, a lot of eyes could be watching and nip the post in the bud. The tab could either delete the post or flag it as spam.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Options
    So does this have any weight or is this idea dead?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer