The next stage "LP" thread!

2»

Comments

• rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited November 2002
    Now you're beginning to see the downside of a suspended table...setup can be finicky. OTOH, feedback will be really minimal, and you can get great bass when properly setup.

The level of the plinth [the acrylic foundation with the feet] doesn't matter, except as it serves to level the subchassis and platter. The arm needs to operate in a level plane. So, yes, now you have to compensate for the spring changes by adjusting the feet. Which might throw your bounce off a bit...but you'll get the feel of it after a while, and it will start to make sense and go quicker.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2002
    Thanks!
    Could my springs be stretched? I notice I need them almost all the way at the top to keep off the plinth.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited November 2002
    I've never heard of string stretch before, but I suppose that's theoretically an issue.

When you say you need them at the top, what do you mean?

Typically, I start the setup process by dialing the knurled posts clockwise until the shoulder of the topmost thread just disappears under the black sleeve when viewed at eye level.

Then, I start the fine tuning, back-and-forth. You might also want to view the posts from straight above and see if they are centered in the sub-chassis hole - or if they are off to one side. If off to one side, grab the black sleeve, and twist - see how the tension of the spring moves the sub-chassis relative to the post?

That's another variable.

In all this, take your time. If/when it seems overwhelming, back off, listen to some LP's, and have a bourbon/scotch, roll a phattie, whatever. Remember that the bottom line is about having a good time and enjoying music.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2002
    I have been enjoying the new sound every evening so far. Things are not perfect yet but they will be. I have not decided that LP's sound better than CD's yet but I must admit there are certain aspects which are better. Since starting this LP thing I have sworn off any CD playing for a little while. This way I can more reasonably detect the differences when I start comparing the two directly.

One thought is that the LP game can be very expensive compared to CD's.

I know a $50 CD player can blow away a $250 turntable. (I have both). I'm guessing a $1000 turntable setup is comparable to a $200-$400 CD player. I'll bet as you move up the ladder from there you end up with much more improvement per dollar with the turntable though.

I wonder about higher end SACD players??? Once you have enough resolution on the sampling, a good quality transport and high quality electronics in the DAC and front end I think you could end up with the good qualities found in CD's AND the other good qualities found in LP's combined???

Maybe next year!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D