is anyone else avoiding "shrek"?

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I just can't bring myself to see it. It's playing at the best theater in Baltimore, a theater I actually don't mind going to. But I just can't do it.

I'm just not interested. I just feel like it's the final triumph of technology over story. I feel like it'll make me feel sad for movies like "Toy Story," which do not sacrifice story for technology.

And this "A.I." thing... I just can't do it. Every review and ad and puff piece talks about how it's about androids that have feelings and memories and dreams. And I can't help but think... "Blade Runner"?

MC (the only person on earth who has not seen "Forrest Gump")
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I won't even give AI a rental. Even though SS did the movie it still has Kubrick all over it....Stinky

Shrek, I've heard a lot of good reviews, I'll problably give it a rental.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I'm not quite so paranoid. But, I figure if the oportunity doesn't come up then I wont TRY to see it. I'll watch them both if someone wants to see them with me or something. Now Final Fantasy, That looks like some awesome special effects. I'm going to see that one.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    An interesting story line, but VERY 2001'ish mixed with cheesy-Total-Recal'ish characters.

We saw it, I have a pass for the year, so it didn't cost me anything....Not a HUGE ****-whippin, but I had to focus, and try, to make it all the way through....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2001
    Options
    But Russ... Wasn't it just Blade Runner rehashed? Tell me it was Blade Runner Redux, please.

I hate Spielberg. Same way Ron hates Kubrick. (Except, my hatred is justified. Kubrick's a genius.)

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Except, my hatred is justified. Kubrick's a genius.

Yeah, in a sick, twisted, demented kinda way.

Sure SS is no great, I enjoy his movies for what they are, eye-candy. But fun none-the-less.

When it comes to imagination, creativity and pure genius, Tim Burton is the man. He submerges you in his movies like no other director can. He creates a fantasy that removes you from reality, just what a movie should do. IMO, there is no other better director.

If...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    No, no BR here man, you'd have to see it to understand.....but only do it on a free pass, or out of SHEER bordom.

Cheers,
    Russ

Yes, I laughed a little, and there were some 'weepy' parts, but all in all, not worth the trouble. Very interesting storyline, just totally put together wrong.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I love tussling with Ron!
    When it comes to imagination, creativity and pure genius, Tim Burton is the man

But, but... "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" was mostly Pee Wee. And "Batman"... Comeon, "Batman" (except for the inspired casting of M. Keaton and the 8 minutes that The Batman was actually on screen) was a failure. Did you see "Blade"? That's what "Batman" shoulda looked like.

I'm not a big Burton fan. Too much Danny Elfman and I get a rash.

:D

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Ok Mr. Tussler, you got me on the PeeWee movie. Batman I do not chalk up as one of his best. A one time see for me.
    I'm not a big Burton fan. Too much Danny Elfman and I get a rash.

Yeah but, once you apply the Elfman Ointment your good to go for more.

If...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I'm avoiding Shrek, because it is only in theaters. As long as I have to see it with the gum popping, wrapper rattling, pea-sized bladder, baby crying, talking back at the screen inconsiderate movie going public, I'm not going. When it comes out on DVD I'll see it in a minute.

The real reason I posted this reply was to see if I was a Polkie also.

Rob

resume lurking
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2001
    Options
    :D

Rob

Kent Brockman: I've said it before, and I'll say it again: democracy just doesn't work!

resume lurking
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing