I just got SDA 2B's!!!!!!!

Options
crazyeyes
crazyeyes Posts: 74
edited November 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hey guys i just picked up a pair of SDA 2B's from my uncle. This is my first pair of SDA's i was wondering if you guys had any hints or need to know's for me on these speakers. I will eventually be driving them with a Dynaco ST70 tube amp but for now i am going to be using an old Kenwood Reciever or Marantz reciever.
Post edited by crazyeyes on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Great Speaks !
    Congrats !

Placement from the wall will change the bass..
    Those babies can take the power also..

Did you get the imbilical cord (cable) with them ?

got pic`s ?
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • crazyeyes
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Yes i am going to be getting the cable my uncle just has to find it. He thinks it is still buried in the cable mess behind his stereo. I will try to get some pics with my dads camera tomorrow. I will get some nice pics when i get my camera back from repair.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2006
    Options
    cool !
    Enjoy !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2006
    Options
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Enjoy!!!
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2006
    Options
    you're a lucky guy crazy@y@s.. enjoy them.. and yeah you do need the SDA umbillical cable to really make them sound good.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2006
    Options
    congrats,,enjoy
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • crazyeyes
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Thanks guys i am sure they are going to sound great. My dad has the SDA SRS' and i LOVE the sound of those things. So i am going to try these 2B's out and may even lead me to sell my LSi9's. I am putting together a more vintage system anyway. Dynaco ST70 Tube amp, eventually i hope to get a nice tube preamp, and then an older Thorens TD160 Super with an SME 3009 Type II arm with some sort of Benz Micro, or Dynavector cartridge, and of course the SDA 2B's. If you guys have any other tips as far as placement or anything please let me know.
  • Toka78
    Toka78 Posts: 192
    edited November 2006
    Options
    This has nothing to do with the speakers, but Van Alstine offers a rebuild of the ST70 that greatly improves the sound quality (as well as reliability). Click to the link below to check it out...its something you can always do later if you don't have the money now. Plus you can get it in kit form and do it yourself...save money and learn all at the same time!

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/amplifier/ultimate70.htm
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2006
    Options
    You'll like them. ALOT. Keep them straight out and even, about 6-8 feet apart and around 13-18 inches fron the wall.

2b's are very under rated. I still have mine, and don't plan on giving them up any time soon...
  • crazyeyes
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Toka78 wrote:
    This has nothing to do with the speakers, but Van Alstine offers a rebuild of the ST70 that greatly improves the sound quality (as well as reliability). Click to the link below to check it out...its something you can always do later if you don't have the money now. Plus you can get it in kit form and do it yourself...save money and learn all at the same time!

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/amplifier/ultimate70.htm

Thanks for the advice but i am actually getting a Dynaco ST70 that is already fully restored and gone through. The redoes all the wiring and uses all new original Dynaco parts.

This is the guy that is doing my amp.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1166625160

Mine is not going to have the meter on the front. Mine will look exactly like this one.

http://static.flickr.com/121/291977425_e88db829e6.jpg?v=0
  • crazyeyes
    edited November 2006
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    You'll like them. ALOT. Keep them straight out and even, about 6-8 feet apart and around 13-18 inches fron the wall.

2b's are very under rated. I still have mine, and don't plan on giving them up any time soon...

I have heard the opposite of what you are saying about placement. I have heard that you are supposed to have them about 3-4 feet apart unless you are going to be sitting like 15-20 feet away and only 6-8 inches from the wall. But that is why i am asking i will just have to try different things. I don't have alot of room so i think i will have to place them about 5 feet apart and 10 inches off the wall. We'll see though.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2006
    Options
    crazyeyes wrote:
    I don't have alot of room so i think i will have to place them about 5 feet apart and 10 inches off the wall. We'll see though.

Then be sure you are sitting 5-6 feet in front of them
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • crazyeyes
    edited November 2006
    Options
    if i am going to be sitting 4-5 feet from them is about 3-4 feet apart and 8 inches from the wall going to be good. Oh i forgot to mention it is a carpeted room too not too sure if that makes much of a difference. Thanks guys.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2006
    Options
    equal triangle is best, that is what I was trying to say, but 3 feet is really close, I would think 5 foot apart and your head 5 foot in from at a min.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited November 2006
    Options
    That is a very nice Dynaco 70. That amp will sound nice with the SDAs but will run out of steam way too soon. I love the sweet sound of EL34s and the ST 70s (I have 2 originals and 1 series II) but nthey do have their limitations. Once I tried the KT88s, the EL34 never had that SLAM.
    The SDA love power.
  • crazyeyes
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Can you put KT88's in an ST70? I though the only tubes you could use were EL34's but i may be wrong.
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited November 2006
    Options
    The Dynaco ST70 only takes EL34s, which are very nice warm sounding tubes. I have an amp that uses KT88 which have more power and bass, and when I listen to the Dynaco it just sound a little thin to me. There is nothing wrong with the St70, and is the most popural and best selling vacuum tube amp ever.
  • crazyeyes
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Ok yeah i have heard an older ST70 my dad had it wasn't restored in any way it was still all original and wasn't in all that great shape. He had it hooked up with a McIntosh C28 preamp and some older JBL LX40 speakers and it sounded amazing actually. I think that setup sounded better than my B&K Reference 10 preamp, Marantz 170DC amp, and LSi9 speakers. I was amazed at how good this old equipment sounded. That is why i am experimenting with the vintage setup my goal is to get a McIntosh C28 or something like that to go with the Dynaco ST70. I was eventually going to look for the older JBL's for speakers then my uncle told me i could have his old SDA's cause he wasn't using them anymore and they were just sitting in his basement the past year.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited November 2006
    Options
    In a small room and as close as you'll be sitting, I'd bet that amp will have more than enough juice.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • crazyeyes
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Well they are hooked up to a Marantz 2230B receiver right now and they sound great. These things have alot more bass then my LSi9's did. They sound better too. Man i love these things. Anyone want to buy a pair of LSi9's? LOL
  • crazyeyes
    edited November 2006
    Options
    How can i tell if the umbilical cable is actually doing anything or not? I don't really hear much a difference with or without the cable.
  • crazyeyes
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I was Listening to Eagles Hell Freezes Over on Vinyl today and man that album sounds sweet on the SDA's. It is all live and it sounds like they are playing in my room.