Suggestions on bi-amping?

Options
woodyjacobs
woodyjacobs Posts: 706
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Well, I've decided to go back to 2 channel in the living room and do the HT thing in a smaller (former) bedroom.
Here's what I have to work with...

Receiver: Denon DRA-685 (100w x 2)
Secondary Amp: Audiosource Amp 2 (80w x 2 or it can be bridged to 200w x 1)

Here's what I want these two components to run, and I've never tried bi-amping (just bi-wiring with my old HK AVR 120 to the mains):

1 set of mains (RT2000i)
1 set of indoor/outdoors (Atrium 45s)
1 set of additional speakers in the back of the room (RTi28's or R10s...have both but haven't decided which to use...or I may even use my old Advents (Prodigy model) as the B speakers in the main room )
no sub (beyond those powered ones in the 2000s)

Here are some details- Both the Denon and Audiosource have A/B speaker switching (and will run both simultaneously - but I kind of scared of that because I don't know anything about impedance).
The Denon also has Multi Room outs and Pre-out/Main-in connections.

I would like to bi-amp the 2000s but don't want to damage anything out of my ignorance. For instance I don't know if I should use the Denon's A/B connections to bi-amp or not.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
system 1:
Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
Post edited by woodyjacobs on

Comments

• Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Well, some amps will tell you that the A/B will work, it will be stated in the manual. My Arcam A65Plus can do that.

On the other hand, maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't bi-amp two different brands (and tonal quality) amps.

This doesn't look like a 2 channel setup to me. Too many speakers ;)

I would take the better amp of the two and power the 2000i's and then say it's good. But that's just me.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Steve. Actually I see that there is a wealth of info on this subject over in the basic wiring section. Think I'll spend a few hours reading through all of that and then start playin'. Thanks!
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Options
    First of all, you can't bi-amp the 2000's. You can use a pre-made bi-wire cables, or use 2 sets of cables (from one set of posts) to make a high-level connection.

I would take whatever your main 2ch rig is to be (the 2000's, right?), and use the Audiosource amp there. Run the rest of your 'zones' off the 'A' side on your Denon, running through an impedance-matching switchbox.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Options
    First of all, you can't bi-amp the 2000's. You can use a pre-made bi-wire cables, or use 2 sets of cables (from one set of posts) to make a high-level connection

Hey Russ, I am confused. Are you saying that you can't Bi-amp them but you can Bi-wire them? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Hannibal Lector:supermad:

(Liv4fam)
    That's me.
    Where's my B*tch??
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Options
    That was liv4fam,where still working........but your post confusing Russ,explain your thoughts would yeah?
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Options
    No Dan and Mark, read the post again, no further discussion on the topic needed. I simply said you could use a 'bi-wire' CABLE as an option (as Dan has profoundly reported on many occasions) for a high (speaker) level connection.

I didn't say that the 2000's could be bi-wired.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Apparently the whole reading comprehension thing escapes some folks.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Hannibal Lector?

Does that mean you want to EAT ME?

BDT

(okay, okay, I'm sorry but that was just TOO perfect to pass up)
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut