DQ-10's

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2002
    Troy,
    you never really replied about my post on the Rotel and B&K........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

What's a matter? You sound abused or something?

Am I picking on you?

Troy sometimes people just don't like each other and what can I say I'm soory I just don't like you very much.

Maybe one day I will run into you. And can really express how I feel about you.

There is just something about you that attracts me to ya.
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited November 2002
    Apparently, Mr. sticky keys has a severe case of Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeelffffffff Infliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicteddddddddd Impooooooooortaaaaaaance!!!!!!!!!!!
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Off Topic: Dan, go with Rotel. You know it's just the same as B&K at a better price. unless you can find used B&K, go with Rotel. :D
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited November 2002
    liv4fam.

I bought a pair of DQ-10s in the mid 70s. At that time the msrp was $800.(Adjusted for inflation that would be $3000 to $4000 today.) Not a cheap speaker, and for good reason. These are some fine speakers. I owned them for 20 years. Troy & STUFFMD have done a very good job of explaining why they like them. I tend to disagree a bit with Troy about the tweet being a little harsh. It never bothered me, but I have heard others that agree with Troys opinion. STUFFMD is right about the lack of sweet spot. You could move around the room and not feel too far off center.

Concerning your list at the first of the post, I have not had the chance to demo all those speakers, so unlike you, I will not comment on speakers that I have not heard. I currently own some Dynaudio C-3s. I will say that these Danes are the best speaker that I have ever owned. I also think that the DQ-10 would be able to make a good showing for themselves in a direct comparison to the C-3s. No I'm not saying the DQs are as good. I just don't think the DQs would be totally embarressed.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you should at least listen to the DQs before you put them down. Of course you stated in one of your posts here that you don't give two **** about how any of us feel, so I doubt that my advice will be heeded.

BTW. Troy has not brought me into this discussion to stick up for his speakers.

joe
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited November 2002
    I owned a pair up until earilier this year. I had them for apx 20 years. They are really great speakers. The biggest complaint I had about them was the foam surrounds would rot. I had to have my refoamed twice. They will hold their own with any speaker under 2000.00. That is very respectifull of a 25+ year old speaker.
    The DQ-10 had the best soundstage of any speaker that I demo back when I purchased them, bar none.

Troy, try replacing the original Philips tweeter with a Scan-Speak D2010. This will reduce the harshness. They are 56.00 each from Parts express.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    I'm giving that some though, I was talking to another guy who recommended the same thing actually.

Honestly, I don't think that it's a problem. It only happens on certain recordings and at high volume. Even then I wouldn't say that the treble is 'bad', it's just a little harsh compared to the midrange but I wouldn't say annoyingly so.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • weavercr
    edited November 2002
    I noticed it the most on John Mellenchamp song "Jack and Diane"

but its nothing when compared to a klipsch. I may have to break down and get another set of DQ-10. I may have a line on some DQ-20s locally.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    DQ-20's locally? If/when you bag them, I'd REALLY like to hear them.

BDT
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    "I am an outspoken hardass who doesn't give two sh*ts about how any of you feel"

"Troy is like my ****."

"Every time you see Troy post you are going to see this F*cking Face."

"Troy what are you blind? I answered all your pathetic questions."

"Get your read on Boner."

"I love to see all you get all fired up and get your panties in a bunch especially my big **** wherever he is."

Live4fam: Do you talk this way to your parents, or your customers, or your boss? If not, then why do you address Club Polk forum members this way?

You earn respect by treating others with respect. You can't force your opinions on people with trash talk from behind the safety of your keyboard and expect to be taken seriously. Just because you CAN treat people with disrespect in a virtual forum doesn't mean you SHOULD.

The only way people can form an opinion of you at Club Polk is by the content of your posts. If they don't respect you as a person, how can you expect them to possibly respect your technical opinions?

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited November 2002
    Hey Troy,
    A pair of DQ-20's is on sale over on AudioWeb for best offer. Might want to check it out...... Has anyone seen (of heard) the DQ-18's. All the reviews I have ever seen on that speaker has been a consistant 5 out of 5. I have never seen them. I am still looking for a pair of DQM-9's, can never find any on sale, if anybody knows of a pair, let me know.
    Thanks, Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2002
    Hopefully I'll be listening to my DQ-10s by the end of the night.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    Oh well. The $240 price was for each one. Who lists used speakers this way?
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Mark,

go to audioconsultants.com. They have a pair for 300. I figure shipping would run you another 75. I'm thinking that they are a reputable firm and would be able to tell you if they were all ganked up or not.

BDT
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    I think it's fate telling me to get the Quads.
  • Thewiz666
    Thewiz666 Posts: 13
    edited November 2002
    What are these DQ-10's that I keep reading about? I'm not familiar with this Dahlquist company who apparently makes them, but I'm curious as to how these flamed posts keep going and going....
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    In a nutshell, the Dahlquist DQ-10 was made by the now defunct Dahlquist company from 1974 to the late 80's (88 or 89 I believe) virtually unchanged. Cosmetically, it looks like a Quad ESL but it's not an electrostat, rather its a 5-way phased array.

It was used by many as a reference speaker for many years and considered by many to be one of the legendary speaker designs.

I own a pair and, arguably, I think that it compares favorably with many of todays high dollar speakers.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Attached is a pic of Dean/Klischead's naked DQ-10:
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    here is a pic of mine sitting on the floor while I was setting up "The Shane"
  • audionutt
    audionutt Posts: 97
    edited November 2002
    what is the grill or covers made of?

joe
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    The screen is a mesh type affair covered with cloth.

BDT
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2002
    Are the 'baffles' for each driver secured in place? No flame intended... just factually, the DQ10s as shown in your photograph look like you were playing around in your woodshop and decided to pile speakers on top of each other. That top driver looks like Klipsch thrown in.... And when I look at the posted photo sans grills, compared to the linked photo with grills... doesn't seem like that top driver is 'there' in the photo with the grills.. the set up sitting on the floor doesn't look as tall as the others.

Just curious. Never seen 'em, never heard 'em, probably never will do either... but I do have mild interest in the construction because it is unique.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    That *top* driver is a Klipsch floorstander behind the DQ's.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited November 2002
    burdette.

Russ is right. There are really two different speakers in that photo. The klipsch is a RF-7. Actually the top two drivers are the Klipsch. The copper colored one & then above that the black square is the horn tweeter.

The DQ-10s were well made speakers and yes the baffles were secured. They do look funny naked. They are a unique design. If you ever get the chance they are worth a listen.

Troy.

When I had the woofer rot I decided to replace the woofs. The original is a 8 inch isn't it? Anyway, I put in a larger one. Since I don't know if you have ever seen yours naked I will refer you to the photo of Deans naked DQs. There is a lot of wasted space from the edge of the actual driver to the edge of the woofer basket and the mounting screws. The one I put in was a 2 inchs larger and fit right in. The new one did not have a large space between the driver and the mounting holes. I remember at that time I was a little worried about messing with the designers original equipment, but I got a driver that was pretty pricey and had better specifications. It turned out alright and I felt like the bass was a little better.

joe
  • STUFFMD
    edited November 2002
    Hey Troy,
    Dahlquist is actually back in business.....they have a websight, I don't have the exact address handy but just type in your browser.They have out satallite system out that favorablly written up I think in Sound & Vision, but are also seem to be back to some of the things that made them great as well.
    Just for Fun,
    StuffMD
    P.S. Troy we need to get you some stands. for your DQ's

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    PS2/Gamecube
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Actually, I do have some stands for them, not ideal but passable for now. I got a pair from AE and filled them with sand. I'm still working on a better solution though.

As far as the driver, the original was a 10" Advent in a 12" basket. I've had mine apart to clean and inspect for damage.

BDT
  • weavercr
    edited November 2002
    StuffMD are you refering the Dahlquist speaker company located in Canada? Where in Ohio are you located?
  • weavercr
    edited November 2002
    The DQ-10 made stereophile 100 list of all time. ahead of the Ar-3a

http://www.stereophile.com/printarchives.cgi?709
  • STUFFMD
    edited November 2002
    Good read...Thanks weavercr...you notice the mostly lack of recent developments, disappointing..
    StuffMD

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    PS2/Gamecube
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Actually, I think, reading that list, that it sort of reinforces the fact that (A) there is a lot of world class vintage gear and (B) that the old designs stack up well against the new ones and (C) that in a lot of cases, basic designs haven't changed all that much in a lot of cases.

BDT