Rear Subwoofer

Options
peteran
peteran Posts: 141
I just bought a pair of fxi50's and got a free psw202 sub from Crutchfield ( everybody check it out).

I currently have

Front mains RT 55's
Center Cs400
Surrounds Fxi50 (replaced Rt25's)
Rear Rt25's. will set them as soon as I get an amp
Front subs 2 X kenwood 103sw
Receiver Onkyo 797

My question is how would I Ihook up the psw202 in the back end of the home theater and get the bas managent from the rear sound.
Is there an easy way? and is there a good way?:)
Post edited by peteran on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2002
    Options
    peteran, What amp are u getting for 797? I got the Onkyo m-282 that is specificly made for that reciever. Got it at Cruchfield. I can get u $20 bucks off if you are a first time buyer from them. email me at scottvamp1@yahoo.com Nice setup you have going. 7.1 with a rear sub - SWEET. My rear sub is running off the lfe and have them running from one to another. Works great for me. You can run the sub off any of the preouts though. Bass Management only works through the lfe. Hope this helps. :D
  • peteran
    edited November 2002
    Options
    How about this question:

I have a preouts for surround back on my receiver, if I hook that up to the psw202 and connect the surround back speakers to the sub, will it work?
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    Options
    hi peteran,
    if you do use the suround pre out for your rear sub you lose speaker out put for your surounds.the receiver haves internal auto-swiching. dose your receiver have a lfe out put if it dose use this or speaker level to your sub and then to your suround sepeaker. then you will get any signal below 80hz to the sub on the right or left suround speaker or if you use long anougth speaker wires you can go to both then you got low frequency from both suround channels in the rear.
    and welcome to the forum
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • peteran
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Thanks for your Reply Joe Logston, Here is my dilemma:

I do have an LFE which I'm splitting for my 2 front subs, my receiver Onkyo 797 has also preouts for front L.R, center, surround L.R, surround back L.R.

I Decided to use the onkyo M-282 amp for hooking up the RT25's for surround back, so that preout is gone. Now the question is can I use any of ther other preouts for the rear sub without connecting any speakers to it.?
    All other speakers are connected through the main receiver speaker terminal.
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Let me try this again!!!!!!
    I would just suggest splitting the preouts for the lfe.
    or
    Running the lfe to the (in) on one sub and then use the (out) of that same sub and to the (in) on the other sub.
    (pretty simple)
    Most channels do not do not have enough bass information (or activity) to make it worth to run a sub off.
    Last suggestion is:
    Use the front sub for center channel preout (70% of the front stage comes from the center) and then use the rear for LFE. Something I want to try be have yet to.

Did you already buy the M-282? Once again I can save u some $. We have very simular set-ups.
  • peteran
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Hello Scottvamp: I got your message, the fact is that somebody talled to use the preouts!!.
    Now I would just split the LFE signal again, sounds simple and easy.

I emailed you and said that, I was allready a crutchfield customer, if I can use the referral code sent it to me. Do you have my e-mail Address?
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    Options
    If you are already a customer than its no good. Is that where u are getting the M-282? Thanks, i just saw the email. Most people havn't upgrading to as many speakers as you and there is no exact right way. When u are expanding a system like yours - u just have to try different things. It's all part of the "fun". Good luck!!!!!
  • peteran
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Thanks for your help Scottvamp, see you in the forums.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    Options
    yes try spliting the lfe out put like scottvamp said i use to do that to but i use speaker level out puts now on mine and use one sub off the lfe as a placement sub i use my lage 15" sub im running 5 subs, and i dont get the phasing problem that way
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I hook up my Yamaha SW-200 power sub (this sub has a wireless remote control so I can turn it on and off when I need to) for both of my Polk FX500i using the speaker level input and make adjustment to allow the sub to pick up the lower bass frequency, below the freq that the rear speakers can handle. For the total system, my Polk PSW1200 handle the LFE from the receiver. Since my my living room is very large, the distance between the main sub and the rear sub is about 40 feet and I carefully position these subs, so there is no phasing problem at all, I really get the improvement of the rear channel performance on DD and DTS sound tracks, and the best sound from DVD-A.
  • peteran
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Would you put the rear sub in reverse phase?, if your living room is more than 20 ft long ( mine is 25ft).
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Yes, Idealy put your front and rear sub to opposite phase.