FS: Monitor 5A w Peerless tweeters

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,196
edited November 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
SOLD! Thanks George.

Well, I've decided to move up the speaker foodchain a little, so I'm offering up my lovely Monitor 5A. These have the original Peerless soft dome tweeters and are fuse protected. Overall, they are very smooth sounding speaker that do very well in small rooms. No need to upgrade the tweeters in these (unlike the later silver coil versions)

I've had a lot of fun with these over the last year, but decided to try something different in large floorstander.

The speakers are a really beautiful example of early Polk monitors. They are in nearly perfect condition. They have the rosewood vinyl and I can only find one small area on the bottom rear corner where the vinyl is just slightly peeling (less than 1/4 inch probably). The top edges, grills, and visible (top/side) surfaces are in perfect shape. I guarantee you won't be dissapointed in the cosmetics of these.

I have the original Polk boxes and the owners manual too. I'd prefer to deal locally on these and not risk shipping damage or the dreaded "locked midrange" problem.

I'm asking for $100 for the pair and an extra $20 if you want the stands I have them on. The stands are some unknown brand, all metal, three tube design that puts the speaker tops at about 40 inches, which is about perfect for seated listening. These prices are a little less than what I paid for them back in February.

Edit: I may consider shipping these if there is no local interest after a week or so. Shipping will be by FedEx Ground and I'll charge actual rates to your zip.

Here are pictures:
Mon5a005.jpg

Mon5a006.jpg

Mon5a008.jpg

Mon5a010.jpg

mon5a012.jpg

Mon5a009.jpg

Flaw can bee seen in picture above, lower rear/right corner of speaker on the left.

mon5a003.jpg

Extremly small amount of peeling visible in the pic above, lower left/rear corner of speaker on the right.

Mon5a011.jpg
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2006
    Options
    did you get the mirages' ?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2006
    Options
    If not I am going to have a nice set of Amazing's up for sale in the not so far future, love to see one of the crew bag them.

RT1
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Options
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • billbillw
    edited October 2006
    Options
    did you get the mirages' ?
    Getting them tommorow.

Now, For any potential buyers, if you'd like more closeup pictures, just let me know. You'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding large bookshelf at this price.
  • Johncan
    Johncan Posts: 38
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Congrats on the new speakers! When do I get to come hear them?

John
    My main rig
    Eico HF-87 amp and Eico HF-85 preamp; Klipsch Cornwall I; Systemdek IIX TT w/ a Dynavector 10x4 MKII cart; Denon DVD-2910 universal CD/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD player - Polk Monitor 5s, 7s, & 10s used in secondary systems.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Bill,

Do your travels ever bring you to Brunswick??

RT1
  • billbillw
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Johncan wrote:
    Congrats on the new speakers! When do I get to come hear them?

John

Anytime you get out this way, let me know.
    Bill,

Do your travels ever bring you to Brunswick??

RT1

Occasionally for work, but its been a couple years. We usually stay on St. Simmons.

Also, I was looking a little closer at the vinyl condition and there are a couple of other very minor flaws, all of which are on the rear edges. Still in incredible shape for a 20+ year old speaker. I'll get some better pictures today and post them.

EDIT: See the first post for new pictures.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2006
    Options
    It was on topic.

As in do you get this way to drop them off?? If its only an occasional thing lets see if someone close needs them, I have not owned this model but have enjoyed the 10's and the 7's.

RT1
  • billbillw
    edited November 2006
    Options
    It was on topic.

As in do you get this way to drop them off?? If its only an occasional thing lets see if someone close needs them, I have not owned this model but have enjoyed the 10's and the 7's.

RT1

Sorry, misunderstood your question.
    As far as getting down to the costal area, I'm in Savannah much more frequently, for both work and pleasure :).
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Well, Savannah is not so far from me, we could make the switch there, let me know when your headed that way if you still have them or if you will be going their soon then I will take the 5's and stands for 120.00.

RT1
  • billbillw
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I probably won't be down that way until around Christmas (my wife's family lives in Statesboro). The problem might be not enough room in the car if we are loaded down for the holidays. After that, it would be sometime into next year for work.

Just to be clear, RT1 is on the top of the "if they are not sold by" list. Anyone wanting these sooner, they are open game.
  • billbillw
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Pics added.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2006
    Options
    pm'd
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • billbillw
    edited November 2006
    Options
    SOLD to George.