Lord of the Rings SE

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited November 2002 in Music & Movies
Got it at Wal-Mart yesterday. Ya, I know it comes out on the 12th but I am not going to tell them that. ;) Once in awhile that slip them out early. $28 bucks and a FREE ticket to the Two Towers.
Very nice 4 disc set. I bought it because I had to have the DTS 6.1 sound. Picture quality was the same excellent quality as the first issue. The 6.1 mix was incredable. Lot of sound in the rear stage. The biggest improvment was the BASS. The DTS version has a much cleaner (not so boomy), tighter and much more controled sub. At 208 minutes - perfect stopping point on the first disc to the second. Great reference HT movie!!!!
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Excellent, I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Glad to hear about the bass issue, the current release is ok, but way to overkill.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Ron's on the money - the DD version is mastered about 5 dB too hot, and seems a bit compressed - like it's lacking in dynamic range and they made up for it by overcooking it.

DTS usually excels at dynamic range, and I hope this version is less compressed sounding.

Honestly though, I think the quality of the bass on the DD version is very, very good. If the DTS version represents a big bass quality improvement, LOTR-FOTR - DTS could become one of the all time favorite bass demo DVDs. It's already a top demo disc for many HT buffs. I can't wait to hear it.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Like I said the DTS 6.1 kicks ****!!!! I liked watching the movie even more the second time.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    Options
    That movie was excellent I can't wait to watch the DTS version sounds like it is even better
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited November 2002
    Options
    The Walmart here in Baltimore has the new LOTR for $24.88.

The new Star Wars EP2...$9.99.

Yep, got 'em both!
    No excuses!
  • Dr. Spec
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    The biggest improvment was the BASS. The DTS version has a much cleaner (not so boomy), tighter and much more controled sub.

This soundtrack is much less compressed, has way more dynamic range, and is much more natural sounding than the DD counterpart. The voices seem to float in front of the TV, and the surround effects are much more noticeable and detailed. It's a nice upgrade in this respect.

I thought the bass quality of the DD version was very, very good but it was clearly overblown. Honestly I didn't notice a huge improvement in bass quality - the DTS version does has slightly tighter and cleaner bass.

What is majorly obvious is that LFE track in the DTS version is not nearly as strong as the DD version (usually it's the other way around). It is still strong, but my sound meter tells me it's been dropped a solid 5-6 dB across the board with respect to the other surround channels. Actually, the bass sounds much more natural and realistic at the DTS level, but I would not call this an LFE monster by any stretch compared to the DD version.

Bottom line on sound: The DTS version sounds better in every way, but you lose the majorly strong bass the DD version was famous for. If you want, you can just dial up 5 dB on the sub control at the receiver and recover what you lost to the DD version. I might split the difference and run it 3 dB hotter. Hot bass and the battle for Middle Earth just go hand in hand!

Doc

SVS
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Bottom line on sound: The DTS version sounds better in every way, but you lose the majorly strong bass the DD version was famous for
    Color me happy, I hated the over-blown bass on the dd version, way over-kill. I have yet to watch the dts version, but am very looking forward to it.

If...
  • Dr. Spec
    edited November 2002
    Options
    You won't be disappointed, Ron. If your system is up to exploiting the differences (and I know yours is), the DTS version is like silk sheets and the DD version is like a wool blanket.

Doc

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Ya, that is what I said. !!! When I started the thread!!!
    Anyway Ron is your HT up and running?
    Hope it all went well!!!!:)
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Options
    forwarded from a coworker:

'Special Edition' DVD Easter Eggs Worth Looking at:

The first one is actually the MTV Movie Awards spoof on the Council of Elrond scene that
    is pretty hilarious. I've wanted to see this again since it first aired (and was repeated
    a
    thousand times on MTV), and now it's on DVD.

To find this one, go into the Scene Selection menu on disc one, and head to the final
    page where you'll find the real Council of Elrond scene. High light that scene and press
    "down" to find an image of the Ring. Press enter to view the entire clip from MTV
    complete with an introduction from Peter Jackson.

The second egg can be found on disc two, and is the awesome four-minute "Fan
    Preview" of The Two Towers that was shown at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring this
    past March as it was on the way out of the theaters.

To watch this awesome trailer, go to the Scene Selection menu and navigate your way to
    the final page where you'll find the chapter with the Fan Club Credits. Move the cursor to

the numbers on the far right of the screen, and when it's on "48" press down to make an
    image of the Two Towers appear. Press enter to view the trailer in full anamorphic
    widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1
    audio.
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2002
    Options
    WoooooHooooooooo! I just played some of the Rings last night and the dts kick's dolby's ****. What a nice improvement. Cleaner, tighter bass and a more spacious track all around, [yoda voice]a vast improvement over dd, this dts track is.[/yoda voice] I can't wait to watch this in it's entireity.
    Anyway Ron is your HT up and running?
    Hope it all went well!!!!
    It's up and running. I'm waiting for my carpet and couch which will be in sometime next week so I have not put much effort into serious audio calibration yet.

If...
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Saw the movie for the first time with the extended version & DTS. Where is the next 6 hours. Man is this film great.