DQ-10's

liv4fam
liv4fam Posts: 311
edited November 2002 in Speakers
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Cow,

Troy you sure do have fun when I am at work huh?

5000 grand huh? That is pretty bold. Let's see your DQ-10's can hang and beat out every other speaker up to 5000 grand and down huh?

Well let's see what others have to say about that statement.
I comprised a little list for ya to see if you can hang because I know I come no where close to say that.

This list is from real world listening and experience not just looking at stuff online like you.

1. Dynaudio Contour 1.8's..................Hang?
2. B&W Nautilus 803's.......................Hang?
3 Vienna Beethovens.................Hang?
4. Thiels 3.0's.................................Hang?
5. Definitive Technology BP2000TL's......................Hang?
6. Polk Audio LSI15's..............................Hang?
7. Boston Acoustic VRM90's.................Hang?
8. Sonance Sillohuette In-walls....................................Hang?
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I want to know are they that stupid????????????

You are setting a really high standard for those speakers I sure I hope they are all that because I really don't want to buy them and then have to drive our work van over them.

Do you live in the Matrix?

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know I love ya man.

:p
Post edited by liv4fam on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Have you heard them yet? No? That's what I thought.

BTW, still waiting for your enlightened discourse on the 5-way crossover.

As for the rest of it, my favorite speaker that I use as a reference are the Maggie 3.6's which, ok, are around 4 grand. Yes, I'd take the DQ-10's every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Of course, if other folks don't agree, hey, no worries.

#'s 2,3,5,6 and 7 I've heard and yes, I don't think that they are better than the DQ-10.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    Hey Troy.....................

And to all the other wannabes of the forum............................

I am an outspoken hardass who doesn't give two sh*ts about how any of you feel and I just tell like I see it but Troy you take the cake.

I just got a pair speakerlabs DAS-4's for FREE......FREE....FREE
    tonight of a customer so does that mean I can say the will kill everything up to.....................................

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...............What the hell 10 grand.

If the DQ-10's can do it then I guess my FREE speakers can do it too.

They are so great everything pales in comparisons.

I love them a lot.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    Troy,
    I know your lovin those speakers.And actually I think thats a really good thing, but......dude come on.I have seen them in person,I haven't heard them yeat but I'm working on that,I just can't see them being THAT good.If I demo them and they are......I will address you personally.But dude your claim how good they are is just so bold.That class of speakers.......eff that....I'll take just the Dynaudio Contour 1.8's.....and I bet they will Embarrass the DQ-10's.They do it to everything else inthere class......by a long shot.Even Mighty B&W can't hang in any kind of music......I didn't think that was possible, but they did it allday.

I wonder how much you demo other kinds of gear.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    The 5 way crossover?

Don't know that much about really never ran into it before the DQ-10's.

What can I say I didn't get my research on. Don't really care about. I guess that makes me stupid.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Oh, so you are saying that you've heard the DQ's? So you know what they sound like?

It doesn't mean you are stupid it means that you are a hypocrite. Doing what you blast others for: running your mouth about something that you know absolutely nothing about. However, I'm sure someone as enlightened as you are can give us a theory about why a 5 way crossover is inherently flawed.

Magic 8-ball says: Try again

BDT
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    Troy why don't you have a party and invite everybody over and put your money where your mouth is.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    come on Troy ,
    cut the crap.......address my post.....I'm asking not kicking yeah
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    I wanna know what makes them so special to you.If you ever read one of my Lsi15's posts,you know exactly what make them special to me.I wanna hear/read your words dude.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    I've in the past extended the invitation to anyone that would like to come on by. Unfortunately, liv4fam, you aren't welcome.

I've always said, that I lucked out on the DQ-10's. I bought them, not expecting much, on the recommendation of others. So, the point is that it's not that I was terribly knowledgeable, I just lucked out on them.

BTW, why do you really care so much about what I have to say anyway?

BDT
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Damn,
    If I was in the area would I be welcome?
    Dan
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    Because you say such outlandish stuff.

HELLO MCFLY................................

All you do is say how dumb your rig is and you own.........Wait a minute.

CRAP..................CRAP..........................CRAP...................CRAP.

Maybe I could make a song out of that.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? I'm not welcome huh? Why is that?

Next time you are up here visiting Grandpa Grands I would like you to stop by and have a chat.

Tell you what why don't bring your DQ-10's and show me up.
    Hell bring your whole rig so you can shut me up and embarress my system.

Troy you are so fun to play with.

Troy is like my ****.

Every time you see Troy post you are going to see this F*cking Face.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    SO Troy am I welcome or am I on the **** list?
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    A bold statement it may be, however, it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

A direct comparison to the LSi? (the LSi25 at Polk HQ) OK, here it is. Top end, the LSi is better. Very flat, very smooth. Almost too smooth. That tweeter is amazing.

The DQ-10 at higher volumes does get a little harsh. It doesn't turn a piccolo into a boiling tea kettle but it does sound a bit etched. The LSi's image quite well as do the DQ-10's so, I'd say that is a draw.

Soundstage? No comparison. The DQ-10 throws a soundstage that really is world class. Very 3 dimensional. You can literally close your eyes and visualize where everything is on stage.

Transparency? Again, no contest. There is no cabinet so there is no cabinet noise. As far as transparency goes, I'd say the DQ-10 comes as close to sounding like an electrostat as any other speaker in terms of transparency. What I feel gives the DQ-10 the edge is the 3-D soundstage.

Thanks to the 5 way design, each driver plays a fairly narrow range which I think is one of the reasons it has such incredible detail.

Bass performance is the achilles heel of the DQ-10. It doesn't play super low. Respectable enough for my musical tastes but certainly not a super deep speaker, if I had to guess, in my room, I'd say it played down to about 40hz give or take.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Sure Dan, you are welcome. We don't agree on a whole lot, but that's not neccessarily a bad thing. Any time you are in the area, come on by.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Now why on earth would you want little old me to stop by?

One of the many differences between you and I is that audio is not my life. It's just a hobby, not a source of self esteem for me as it is you.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    ATC, anytime, c'mon down. Bring your LSi's with you.

Seriously, anyone that can behave in a civil manner and is house broken (well, liv4fam is 0-2 there), gimmie a little warning and I'll throw a fresh keg of Newcastle in the kegerator and I'll roll out the carpet.

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by liv4fam
    And to all the other wannabes of the forum............................

Wannabe what? Like you? :rolleyes:

You're nothing more than a immature, loudmouthed, pompous ****, who embarrasses himself and his profession on a routine basis. Why would anybody want to be like you???
    Grow up. Better yet, go away. You've got nothing productive to offer here.

F1nut
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    I can't go away Busta.

I love you Polk guys. You are so much fun to talk to.

When did I say I wanted any of you to be like me? I am an individual and I have an opinion.

I have the right to my opinion same as you. If you don't like it then you leave or don't read it.

Immature? No not really.

Embarress myself? Never

My profession? I happen to be a very respected installer in the country. Thank you very much.

Grow up? I grow everyday with a little sunlight and water

Go away? Naaaaaaaaa............I think I will hang out and share my opinion.

Anything else??
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited November 2002
    Immature? No not really.

You either are or you are not. You are!
    Embarress myself? Never

You just did, AGAIN!
    My profession? I happen to be a very respected installer in the country. Thank you very much.

Not around here!
    Grow up? I grow everyday with a little sunlight and water

See first quote!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    Thanks Nut,

I really needed your insight on my personality, I am glad we got that straightened out. I feel so much better knowing that you are there to keep me focused on who I am.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited November 2002
    Guys My 2 cents.
    Dahlquist DQ-10's paired up with the right amp (Mac comes to mind)around 300 watts or so are the Benchmark by which all speakers should be compared. Speakers are very individual, but the DQ-10's reproduce things I have never heard in most. Very much lack of sweet spot, **** moves around the F#@kin room. If you have ever used the vinyl of Power and the Majesty with these speakers you will know what I mean. The dog ran right by me and the train literally goes from the front of the room, over your head,and through you and well past you, the Helecopter in The Wall, lifts off just above your head level and over your head.All this with 1 pair of speakers. The only true arguement for 2 channel stereo I have ever heard. Period.
    Again my 2 cents. StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited November 2002
    P.s. Keep the faith TroyD.
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    So, as far as having anything substantive to say,

Let's see, you still haven't addressed the whole receiver amp thing with anything more intelligent than 'it sucks'. WHY?

You were bashing the 5-way crossover, but when questioned, you have a big bag of nothing.

You like bashing my separates system, what separates have you owned? Dan was man enough to admit that his Rotel rig is his first separates system.

Unfortunately, you seem to think that your profession entitles you to a certain level of deference and respect. It just doesn't work that way. Of course, I and everyone else are just wasting our breath as it is falling on deaf ears.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Well said STUFFMD, well said!

Out of curiousity, did you ever run yours with tubes?

Another tidbit of trivia, it is widely rumored that Bob Carver's reference speakers were DQ-10's

BDT
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    Troy what are you blind? I answered all your pathetic questions.

Get your read on Boner.

I like how you brought Stuffed! in here to vouch for the DQ's confidence starting to slip or what?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Look fellas, liv4fam is a troll, pure and simple. On a rare occasion he seems to actually be able to post in a civil manner, but as for the rest (majority) of the time, it's pure B.S., plain and simple.

We all can get heated from time to time, especially about something we enjoy, and take pride in. However, I don't think the majority of his posts even justify a reply, much less your time. Think of time you could be spending with your rigs, or on other worthwhile posts.

I hope whatver his underling 'issues' are, that he can find a solution, inner peace, whatever - so he doesn't feel he has to puff up, try to pick fights, insult other members gear, or instigate worthless debates.

Ignore it, let it go. Beating-a-dead-horse, period. I say if he chooses to be miserable, and angry, he can do it on his own.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    Russ,

Who's mad? I don't get mad that often. I just love picking at all the Polkheads.
    There are no underlying issues it's just that you guys for the most part post the same **** everyday and argue about the same thing and blah blah blah(Russ)

I love to see all you get all fired up and get your panties in a bunch especially my big **** wherever he is.

If I am not worth your time why are posting to me anyways?

How did the job hunting go?
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Actually, I, for some reason actually enjoy watching liv4fam churn out his logic-free drivel.

It's kind of like watching a train wreck.

As far as actually getting under my skin, in all reality, I give liv4fam (I've said this before) about as much thought as I do the chunk of **** that won't flush. Mildly annoying but otherwise harmless.

BDT
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    You know you were waiting for me today.

Did you miss me.

You can't seem to stay away can you.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Why would I? I've been posting pretty regular long before you came around.

Besides, if trying to discredit poor little ol' me makes you feel better about yourself, well, have at it.

BDT