Old Classic? A Bridge Too Far

Options
SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited November 2002 in Music & Movies
Has anyone seen this movie- A B T F? good? bad? okay?

I happened to pick a copy up when I went out to purchase Star Wars- Attack Of The Clones today. My co-worker say's he seen it and it was pretty entertaining for an old war movie.

dc.:lol:
Post edited by SPEAKER7 on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2002
    Options
    This is a very good war movie that came out the same year as "Star Wars" (1977). The cast alone is a good reason to watch but it is also a well done movie. The notable cast members are: Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, Michael Caine, Laurence Olivier, James Caan, Elliott Gould, Anthony Hopkins, Hardy Krüger, Ryan O'Neal, Robert Redford, Maximilian Schell, Liv Ullmann, Dirk Bogarde, Denholm Elliott. I don't know how the DVD stacks up but I've seen this one on TV a couple of times and enjoyed it.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • SPEAKER7
    edited November 2002
    Options
    thanks Shack for your thoughts!

I'm more curious now a days since alot of older movies has been brought back and are recorded on dvd's. I bought a copy of Tora Tora Tora when the movie Pearl Harbour came out on dvd and I thought the older movies were done pretty well with the technology that was available during those times. I think I will purchase more older movies down the road and relive the past.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited November 2002
    Options
    dc,

That is a excellent movie, a real classic. I'd watch it anytime. A couple others are "Where Eagles Dare" with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton, "The Great Escape" with Steve McQueen, "Run Silent, Run Deep" with Clark Cable and Burt Lancaster, "The Bridge On The River Kwai" with William Holden and Alec Guinness, and "Patton" with the brilliant George C. Scott.
    There are more, but that's a good start.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SPEAKER7
    edited November 2002
    Options
    F1nut, thanks for the suggestions!

I will try to see if I can find some of these movies that you have mentioned on dvd.

..... by the would you also include Midway on the favor list of oldies?

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Yes.

I would also include 'In Harms Way' as well.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Yes - Midway - A really good war movie. I remember it came to the theaters with "Sensurround". This was an early attempt at having some serious LFE in movies. The whole theater shook during the explosions. The first to use it was "Earthquake". The technology didn't take off because the rumbling interupted the other movies in the multi theater complexes and there were too many complaints.

Another of my favorites is the Battle of the Bulge - Henry Fonda, Telly Savalas, Charles Bronson , Robert Shaw, Dana Andrews.

A few war movies in a lighter vein are MASH, Kellys Heros and the Dirty Dozen...classics all!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Yes, I agree about Midway and here are a few more. "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo", "Twleve O' Clock High" (anybody remember the TV show with that name?) and maybe the biggest WWII movie production, "The Longest Day."
    This one is a pure classic sort of war movie, "African Queen." If anybody knows where I can get a copy of it, please let me know.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I've got A Bridge Too Far on DVD... *had* to have it... read the excellent book when I was young and was thrilled when the movie was made.

I don't look at DVDs with an excessively critical eye... I think the DVD looks fine and the sound is good. Nothing jumps out at me as bothersome. Same with Patton.

I liked the movie Midway because there really aren't a LOT of war movies out there and I was a WWII freak when I was young. Got the DVD from the library (I *think*... the DVD is out, isn't it? I don't think I'm confusing VHS) and it was fine. The thing about Midway that bothers me is that the actual war footage they insert now and then in the movie is usually wrong... it shows a squadron of Dauntlesses (real war footage) when the story is about torpedo bombers (Devastators)... that sort of thing.

I agree with the others.. In Harm's Way is a classic.. just got Dirty Dozen from the library.. it was fine, nothing jumped out at me as bothersome. I like the other war movies.. Kelly's Heros, The Big Red One, Mosquito Squadron, etc.. but doubt I'd ever purchase them. Tora Tora Tora (on VHS), DVDs of Bridge and Patton, and soon to own Saving Private Ryan should cover me when I need a war fix.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Pork Chop Hill
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    Options
    If you don't own one already, let me suggest a Progressive Scan DVD player for those old classics. I was amazed at the increased quality of the picture on my HDTV. Even really old releases like Forbidden Planet, and the original Time Machine are pleasure to watch!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • F1nut
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Ok, so anybody know where I can get a copy of the "African Queen?"

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I've got it on VHS, I've never seen it on DVD.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Troy,

I'd be happy with a VHS copy. Do you know where I can get one?

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Appears the DVD is not yet released. VHS is out.. I'd think you could find it. I found this with a quick search:

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1915871&domain_id=1877&ad=48175
  • F1nut
    edited November 2002
    Options
    burdette,

Thank you! I didn't have my thinking cap on.

President of Club Polk

• SPEAKER7
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Here I go again....................

I couldn't resist today when I went shopping at my local store and I had to take another gamble and picked up a copy of (dvd) and old black and white movie called The Longest Day....(epic recount of the invasion of normandy).

Has anyone have a chance to watch this in the past or even in the present. Is it entertaining and is the movie pretty accurate to the real battle?

• F1nut
    edited November 2002
    Options
    dc,

Yes, it's entertaining, but it's a GRAND Hollywood production. One of the best, enjoy.

President of Club Polk

• Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited November 2002
    Options
    pretty decent..you can findthis one cheap..its ususally in the 8 to 12 dollar bin..Ryan O'Neal sucks as usual but the movie is still good ..the rest of the cast is excellent