The search continues...my mini reviews

Options
samiam
samiam Posts: 70
edited October 2006 in Speakers
I was originally interested in purchasing some rti8's, and still am, but after a lot of encouragement from my fellow polksters I have been auditioning several other speakers. Here are my impressions:

Monitor Audio Silver RS6

Perfection in the cabinetry. The rosenut color which is more cherry than anything make these speakers just drip cool factor. The writeups on this speakers include such words as "flawless" and "exceptional". Of course the reviewers are no dummies to ensuring future product freebies so it makes me wonder because when I auditioned them they sounded....bleh. The treble was perfectly balanced, the bass was very weak and the middles weren't muddy, they were just lost. I found myself straining to hear the singer. The next in line, the RS8's were much better, the bass had some zip to it but overall, I couldn't justify the price of 1K for the lower end Rs6 model. I left the store asking myself if I would be buying the finish or the speakers.

Martin Logan SL3 Speakers

The speakers scream, I make money, but I found them lacking a sweetspot and I was in the middle of the room. I would buy them just because they are so cool looking, but when playing classical music, they just couldn't muster the mustard, they seemed lost in esthetics. Be that as it may, from what I have read, one must find the perfect locations for these speakers, but that leaves me scratching my head...when it comes to home theater, who would benefit?
Fronts RTI 8 Cherry (Bi-wired/ampd)
Center CSI 5 Cherry
Surrounds RTI 6's Cherry
(Currently fiddling with Mirage Nanosats for l/r surrounds)
MONSTER HTS 5000 MKII Power Conditioner
Marantz SR7500 Reciever

Home Brew PC Music Server/Gamer
Nintendo WEEEEEE!
Panasonic AX100 Projector
DIY Screen (for now)
Post edited by samiam on

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Well at least you are learning to prioritize, sound quality over looks!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bignorm
    bignorm Posts: 120
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Give Paradigm Reference a listen..........
    Eliab/Dave Abrams calibrated Panny
    Yamaha,Denon,Toshiba "in the rack"
    Polks all around
    SVS on the floor
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what were you using to juice the speakers with? What was the lineage from the source?
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited October 2006
    Options
    seems like your in the price range to give LSi's a listen too
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I would buy some Polks are you building an HT or a Stereo system or one do try and do both?

RT1
  • samiam
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Refefer wrote:
    Out of curiosity, what were you using to juice the speakers with? What was the lineage from the source?
    On the Monitors it was a Marantz, last years model, on the Martin Logans it was McIntosh....droooool lol :)
    Center CSI 5 Cherry
    Surrounds RTI 6's Cherry
    Marantz SR7500 Reciever

Nintendo WEEEEEE!
    DIY Screen (for now)
  • samiam
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I would buy some Polks are you building an HT or a Stereo system or one do try and do both?

RT1
    Thanks, yes I am building a stereo system primarily, but a theater as well. I'm really torn here. On the Rti12's they sounded better than the movie theaters. I was blown away. Perfect.

However, on the RTI8's the music sounded better. I have a room that is 13x13 with 11 feet more behind a bar to the kitchen. The Rti12's are just simply too much speaker for my situation. :(

And I just purchased the csi5, the rti6's for my surrounds, and am looking for some rti8's, I've decided. Then in the future I can upgrade to the 12's when I get some more room? Oh yea, need a sub too.
    Center CSI 5 Cherry
    Surrounds RTI 6's Cherry
    Marantz SR7500 Reciever

Nintendo WEEEEEE!
    DIY Screen (for now)