carver c1000a overheating

jake_angel
jake_angel Posts: 9
edited November 2002 in Speakers
I HAVE A CARVER C1000A RECEIVER THAT I THINK HAS PLENTY OF POWER 200 WATTS TIMES 5 , THAT HAS HAD THERMAL SHUTDOWN A COUPLE OF TIMES NOW AT HIGH VOLUMES ?
I WAS THINKING OF VENTILATING WITH FANS BUT WAS TOLD IT WOULD DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD BY SUCKING MORE DUST INSIDE THE RECEIVER AND CREATING PROBLEMS .
I'M RUNNING THE NEW POLK RTi150'S AS MAINS CSi40 FOR CENTRE AND A COUPLE OF SONY TOWERS FOR THE REAR , AND A POWERED PSB 10 INCH SUB,
MY QUESTION IS SHOULD I VENTILATE OR DO I NEED TO ADD ANOTHER AMP TO POWER THESE HUNGRY RTi150'S
THANKS ..........:confused:
Post edited by jake_angel on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    My question is do you have have any equipment stacked on the Amp or any of the vents blocked in any way? Also no matter how clean we are dust will accumulate and running a vacume cleaner over your vents might help.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • jake_angel
    jake_angel Posts: 9
    edited November 2002
    THERE IS NOTHING ON TOP OF THE RECEIVER BUT OPEN AIR
    THEN CELING
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    I would get with Carver as I would surmise that its a defective amp. I've got a buddy with one and it will drive my power hungry DQ-10's with no issues. I'd say if that if it's well ventilated, you just have a bad unit.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    There's the DQ-10's again.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!!! We got it already they are the baddest speakers of all time and forever. In your opinion.

As far as your Carver overheating.....................What did you expect it's a Carver.

I would agree with Troy and call Carver and see what they say or better yet try and give it back.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    HMMMMMMMMM..............gee, did I ever say anything about how good the DQ-10's were? No, I didn't but if you know anything about them you would know that they are a reasonably difficult speaker to drive. Of course you wouldn't know that because in this instance, like so many others, you don't have a friggin' clue what you are talking about.

As far as Carver, goes, yeah, when you actually hear one, THEN we can talk. Until then, kiss my ****. Then after you've actually heard a Carver amp, you can still kiss my ****.

BDT
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    Man I have heard a lot of different Carver amps in my time and they all sound SICK.
    They are the most bright,electronic sounding, whiny amplifiers that I have ever heard. I would closely resemble there sound to Onkyo or Integra because they share basically the same tonal qualities.
    The Carvers are not definitely not for me nor will they ever be.

Hey Troy,
    I like how you work your DQ-10's into almost every post you make. If anybody has a question or comment about anything you say "there okay but they don't hang with the DQ-10's"
    it's funny that you feel the need to keep reminding everybody of that.

I do know what I am talking about and Yes, I agree with you that there crappy complicated crossover eats up all your power.
    That doesn't mean there badass it means that they were built poorly.
    Having a fifth order crossover nobody uses that anymore for one reason.

IT DOESN'T WORK

YOU CAN KISS MY ****....................I was getting bored being nice to ya
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Well, if I had some RBH inwalls and a Mac just sitting on the carpet, maybe I could be cooler.

Well, old Bob was building amps (and selling a ton of them) and fooling Stereophile reveiwers with them while you were still getting your jollies to the Sears and Roebuck catalog, so there you have that.

Honestly, yes, I think the DQ-10 is equal to about any speaker that I've heard, but that's my opinion. What of it?

So, your opinion is that a 5-way crossover sucks? So when DID you hear the DQ-10?

Oh, that's right, you didn't.

The Magic 8-ball says: Doubtful. Try again.

BDT
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    RBH is gone my man. Mac is gone also.
    Out with the old in with new because that's just what I do.
    Rhyme time.

Hey Troy what do you think of this.......Old Bob Carver comes to this little shop in Bryn Mawr, PA once and a while and Dan and I were thinking of setting up a little meeting with him so we can take him upstairs to the Demo room and maybe listen to a Parasound amp and then maybe a Sunfire and possibly a Macintosh and I want to hear right from the horses mouth that they sound exactly the same.

Secondly, I am going to be straight with you we are going to kick him and tell him what we think of his products and maybe he wil start to sway back and forth the owner of Mirage did when we kicked his face in.

The owners were telling us that Bob is a real whack job anyways so it should be entertaining to hear his views on the industry today since he thinks everything is created equal.

Just wait on teh DQ-10's we are trying to track them down and the next pair we find we are going to buy them and do some heavy demoing and if they don't live up to what you have said about them we might have some juicy pictures of them being disfigured.

Ha ha ha ha

Evil rules...............................
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    And the **** parade is in full swing......

I guess we can add reading comprehension off of your list of skills as well.

Yeah, you tell Bob Carver JUST what you think....I'd LOVE to be around to hear THAT conversation. I'm sure your owners are run in the same social circle as Bob Carver.

Did you take your medicine today or what??

You know, I'd love to stick around but it's like trying to have a conversation with the neighbors 6 year old....

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Oh, before I go....your opinion of the 5 way crossover is based on what???

BDT
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    The polk forum has been so boring lately with all the dumb questions so It needs a little spice and Troy you are the most fun to play with.

I love talking to you because you are civil and polite. I know you have a complex about feeling the need to be accepted and that is okay by me. But as far as Audio goes you are such a b*llsh*t artist. It's funny how many people in here actually believe what you say.

DQ-10's WHATEVER!!!
    Carver Amazings (heard them) waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..................

If you think they sound good I recommend looking at Velodynes new Bookshelf speakers they will be take it out in comparison.

Have Fun.

I can't wait to find the DQ's it's going to be awesome.
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited November 2002
    If it's so boring in here with all the dumb questions, why do you seem to spend so much time here? Doesn't say much for the other activities you engage in. Just a thought.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Gee, I was hoping to read dissertation on the inherent flaws in a 5-way crossover, but as usual, we got a big bag of nothing.

BDT
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2002
    Would you too stop this! I come here to read and learn and every board has to have that few bunch of people who side track posts and start their own, lets get back on topic and help the guy with what he has and not tell him how crappy his gear is or isn't.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2002
    I think if this keeps up someone from polk needs to step in, come on keep on topic and not argue how good or bad someones gear is
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp