I'm content...I think...no, I am...I think...for sure...maybe

Options
audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
I'm sitting here listening to some great music, and it hits me how awesome this hobby is - that is, when you can sit back and listen to music and stop worrying about what's for sale in the FM, what the next step up might bring, and which piece should be replaced to reach that next step.

Listening to Eric Johnson's Ah, Via Musicom (thanks fireshoes!!), I'm taken away by the music; the music is all I know; I'm not paying attention to the electronics or the speakers, or the phone (since I can't hear it!). I'm just sitting here enjoying the music. Phenomenal music, at that. And you know you're listening to some foot-tapping inducing stuff when you follow it up with Stevie Wonder's Superstition and aren't impressed and wanna go back to what you were listening to before.

What an experience it is, sitting here listening to some great music; the Parasound amp getting very HOT as it's duking it out with the RF-35's woofers, trying to do them in while the woofers are just as determined to take everything the amp can dish out; feeling the bass note hit you in the back; and you don't even realize you've knocked over your big ol' fan on the floor behind you until you turn around and notice it's laying on its back.

Now I'm listening to Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia. And for some reason, I've stumbled across something's limits, though I'm listening at a much more reasonable level now.

At any rate, I think I can say I'm happy. Well, I will be as soon as I redo my wire management...again...to get rid of this hum.

So, on that note, I'm going to be taking a break from the forum...I hope; at least that's the plan. My only interaction with music for a while now will only be when I'm enjoying it. How long will I be away? I don't know. I'm sure I won't be able to stay away for more than a few months, at most. But if I can manage to fill the time I normally spend on here doing something constructive, well, then, I'll not haste to revert to my old habits.

Anyhoo, if you don't have Eric Johnson's Ah, Via Musicom, you need to get it. This Mark Knopfler stuff, though good, ain't cuttin' it either; I think I'm going to have to pop in Mr. Johnson again. :D
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2006
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    I'm sitting here listening to some great music, and it hits me how awesome this hobby is - that is, when you can sit back and listen to music and stop worrying about what's for sale in the FM, what the next step up might bring, and which piece should be replaced to reach that next step.

Sounds good! Hmm... I wonder what it would sound like with no hum at all? And if you stepped up the accuracy a little more... and that soundstage a little wider and the depth a few feet deeper... :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Sounds good! Hmm... I wonder what it would sound like with no hum at all? And if you stepped up the accuracy a little more... and that soundstage a little wider and the depth a few feet deeper... :D
    madmax
    Anybody live near this guy and think they could egg his house for me? It'd be much appreciated!

;):D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Glad you are enjoying it. BTW, that Yamaha should have another couple years of warranty so if you have any issues ever, let me know and I'll dig up the receipt.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2006
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    Anybody live near this guy and think they could egg his house for me? It'd be much appreciated!

;):D
    Consider it done:D
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2006
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    So, on that note, I'm going to be taking a break from the forum... :D

YOU....of all people?????? We'll see :)

Enjoy that music; that's what it's all about (and try to preserve those young ears ..)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Right on AB! Enjoy the music, that's what it's all about.
    Carl

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hey, I'm right now where you were 3 years ago - major league newbie. Decent stuff, want to move up, don't have much cash (thus my online name) & no daddy who'll help me anymore! Whaaaa! Just kidding. So, got any advice on how to begin the quest - er, ah, rationally? I, too, am a believer and don't want to get sucked into the vortex of the bottomless audio upgrading whirlpool. Am I doomed anyway?

Thanks
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,526
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hey, I'm right now where you were 3 years ago - major league newbie. Decent stuff, want to move up, don't have much cash (thus my online name) & no daddy who'll help me anymore! Whaaaa! Just kidding. So, got any advice on how to begin the quest - er, ah, rationally? I, too, am a believer and don't want to get sucked into the vortex of the bottomless audio upgrading whirlpool. Am I doomed anyway?

Thanks

First off... you're doomed as I have been still am.

Second off... glad to hear your "nirvana moment" AB!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Zero wrote:
    BottomFeeder,

Forget what these online yokels have to say and discover what you like first and foremost.

Except for Sean, he's MUCH smarter than the rest of us. By a HUGE margin. :rolleyes:

yokels. Rich coming from a twentysomething that still brooding over the fact that he's not flying jets and still living in mom's basement.

You first need to figure out what sort of sound you prefer. Hyper detailed ala Klipsch? Transparent but somewhat limited bass (planars) etc etc....I say, figure what sort of speaker you want. Then work on putting a source and power to it. Also, amongst the yokels....you can sort of figure out who has listening tastes etc similar to yours and tap them for info. Most of the time listening to an infinite amount of gear isn't possible. However, if you know what sound you are looking for and you find someone who has similar tastes albeit a little farther down the road, you CAN learn something from the yokels.

Ah via Musicom...great material, lackluster recording.

Is it possible for someone to just take a break without announcing it? I just don't know how I'll make it through the morning.

BD(of the yokel variety)T
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I have been thinking about taking a vacation from the forum also. It just encourages me :p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Welcome Bottom Feeder!

Well as BDT said take the time to figure out what you like by auditioning as much as possible. Once you find the sound you want start thinking about the other components that you want to go with it. Figure out if you want to do it all at one time or in stages.

While you are doing all of this, make sure you are putting money away for your eventual purchases.

Make sure you plan for the future, with equipment that can be built upon.

Read, read & read some more about the gear that interests you. Read this forum for more ideas & suggestions. In so doing you will quickly discover those that like to always experiment, tweek, play, swap & endlessly spend money on their systems. Then you will find others like me who want to do it right the first time around, keep my system for years & just enjoy the music & movies that the equipment is meant to showcase!

Figure out into which of these catagories you fall & that will tell you about your future in getting into this hobby!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I'm glad you're enjoying yourself Zero!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yup, things are pretty cool!.
  • BottomFeeder
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thanks so much, Zero, Troy D and cfrizz for your advice. I'm such a newbie at this...whatever it is, so any advice I can get from you, oh wise audio sages, is much appreciated!

Troy D, you sure hit the nail on the head with your assesment of Klipsch! I had the Fortes for 20 years and loved them. But when I upgraded my stuff, I found the Fortes to be, as you said, "hyper detailed." At first, I loved it, but then I found that I was listening to individual voices and instruments more than the music. I have NAD stuff, a vintage Sansui TU 517 tuner and Polk RTA12C's and I'm enjoying music waaaay much more.

cfrizz, you advice is perfect for me. I have neither the interest nor the cash to get on the audio upgrade merry go round, and would prefer to "do it right the first time around, keep my system for years & just enjoy the music."

Anyway, thanks again all. I really appreciate your help and will continue to plumb the depths of this forum to keep on learning.
  • BottomFeeder
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Oh yeah! My heartfelt apologies to audiobliss for commandeering his thread!

I didn't mean to! Sorry!
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Oh yeah! My heartfelt apologies to audiobliss for commandeering his thread!

I didn't mean to! Sorry!
    No problem at all. Just glad you got something meaningful out of it. :)
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2006
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    No problem at all. Just glad you got something meaningful out of it. :)
    does anyone else find it funny that the only thread audiobliss starts that someone gets something meaningful out of is the one where hes leaving?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Glad to help BF! Let us know if we can be of any more assistance!