edited November 2002
    Options
    Very Interesting read.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I really don't mind not being able to copy CDs, as long as I get enchanced resolution out of the new formats, I'm down with it.

I'll get a DVD-A player for the car ;)

Plus I am sure someone will figure out how to rip the audio anyway... hahaha
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai

Plus I am sure someone will figure out how to rip the audio anyway... hahaha

Yes, but it will cost you. For SACD and DVD-A, it doesn't output to the digital output at all, so I you want to copy, at least you must send your player out for a modifying job. One you get the signal out on these outputs, and then you can start to talk about how to copy the multi-channel signal. As I recall, there are no consumer DVD recorder offer the digital soundtrack recording in 5.1 yet (only DD 2.0 for now). But it will be here soon. For CD recording, there is an electronic device you can buy to make digital copy of CD (called CO3) that by pass/enforce/remove all SCMS (copy protection system).

Well, the future will soon be here, just get ready...
  • palebluedot
    palebluedot Posts: 18
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Well, people are already ripping DVD-A's and SACDs and turning them into DTS discs. Many are even being downsampled for burning on to a CDR. 5.1 audio and all. Then again people were "downsampling" Audio CDs when they first came out to audio tape back in the days...they just didn't have the Internet to post them on.

Personally, anything to keep the illegal copying of these formats is a good thing...at least for now. The more pirating that happens, the less likely many will adopt the stanards. The last thing I want is my multi-channel music to become an 8-track.