Great Sub on Ebay

Frank Z
Frank Z Posts: 5,860
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Found this on ebay, no it's not mine!! I like mine to much to sell it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=801403874
9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
Post edited by Frank Z on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2002
    Frank,

Is that a fairly reasonable price for the sub as compared to if it was brand new?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2002
    I believe that sub sells for about $1000. I think the auction is for a new one. Seems like a great price and only $30 shipping.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited November 2002
    I talked to you earlier about integrating the Sunfire sub with the Lsi 15's. I am seriously considering a Carver sub. You said you had to tweak the sub a bit to blend it in, but had good results. If you have to turn down the gain of the sub, would it be better to purchase the smaller sub? It seems like a waste of power using the larger one only to tone it down. This would be for a 2/ch music rig and I would not need the extra slam depth for movies. I have a good friend who now works for Soundtrack and can get equipment at cost. Even at that, it does'nt make sense to buy something I would never use. Would you still consider the one you bought or something else in the Sunfire line up? The only better musical sub they have is the Matin Logan with the triple 8's at $1800.

Thanks for your time,

-Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited November 2002
    ATC:

I listen to Jazz, Pop, Reggae, Rock and classical. The sub would really help with the classical. The 15’s just don’t have the bottom end needed for a good classical session. I have demo’d the Sunfire line, a very powerful sub indeed. With the right tuning it can be very musical with just a bit of loose end, but not bad enough to count it out. This sub was made for home theater,but can be toned down for music. The Logan sub was a silky smooth and very coherent sub, made to match their great electrostats. The Price tag of the Logan is a bit out of range (At cost), but I may consider it . I know that Frank has had his for awhile and I would like to weigh in his opinion.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    Jrausch,
    The only tweeking that I did had to do with placement. I tried quite a few different options and finally found that corner loading at a 45deg angle gave me the best results. I have the sub volume set a 0db and set it at -5.5db (at the receiver) when I calibrated everything. The max volume setting (set at my receiver) is approx. 95db. Crossover is at 80hz (THX setting).

I am constantly amazed at the way this tiny little sub performs! AOTC was a great work out, and FOTR-EE is a blast also. As for music, again, truly amazing! My favorite Demo/Showin' off the HT disk is The Blueman Group, which is basically nothing but bass, is reproduced with extremely tight bass. A must have disk IMHO!
    I also listen to a wide variety of music, both 2 channel and multichannel, and have yet to find anything that the Sunfire MkII could not handle or reproduce in a manner that could be described as "Not Musical."

I read post at HTF where a guy said that his SVS could not handle the bass on AOTC, made it bottom out in a big way, I just sat there reading with a big grin on my face recalling how great my tiny little sub performed.

Room accoustics are going to play a very big part in the bass quality of this (or any) sub, so be prepared to play around with it for awhile.

Now that I'm done going on and on about my sub, let me just say that like any other speaker, it all boils down to your ears and no one elses! But I bet you'll love it!! And if you don't.....Take it back and keep on shopping! Let me know if you get one and what your impressions are.

BTW, don't let the size fool you, that little sub is one heavy SOB!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D