The one that got away. . .

Options
AndyGwis
AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Not to bring up any sour experiences, but for months I've had trouble letting go of a deal that should've been. I thought it would be therapeutic to post it here amongst everyone to get it off my chest.

Here goes. I was watching some B&K gear on ebay that seemed too good to be true. I noticed the price didn't increase much leading into the final day of bidding. So, even though I had to run an errand with the GF, I brought my laptop to check things out as it got closer to zero-hour.

Anyway, I couldn't get a wifi signal until we stopped at Panera Bread for dinner, and, by that time, it was too late. I was willing to put out a $500 bid, and found that I was 28 seconds or so too late to log in and bid.

Here she is/was. . . a B&K MC101 and EX-442 (dual mono) in great condition for barely more than what I got my ST-202 for. If only I had driven faster, if only I could've logged in from the parking lot. . .

I feel better already. Thanks for reading, and feel free to post one of your "almost was" deals in audio so that others may learn.
B&K Sonata EX442 Amp and Pre amp MC 101 --Set-Excellent
Winning bid: US $338.77
Item number: 180021634486
Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Life is suck!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Eff you and your hair Jesse (trying to edge him on to see his new signature responce).
    No excuses!
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Now that you mention it there was a real cute stripper in Australia but I was too lazy to write her after I left....
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2006
    Options
    That particular B&K gear is a piece of **** anyway. You ought to be lucky that you didn't get stuck with that sack 'o ****.

Thanks for sharing. Now go and buy some real ****.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Had the same thing happen with a pair of 1c's in Florida. Hard to monitor ebay auctions while your supposed to be working. Chapped my **** at the time - but things always work out for the best.

Oh yeah - LIFE IS SUCK.

C-
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Give it time John, it shouldn't take long.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I lost a set of Lsi9's on ebay like that. they sold for $519.00.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited October 2006
    Options
    auctionsniper.com You will never have to sit in front of your computer again unless you like trying to shoot in a bid at the last second and hope your computer will refresh in time. Plus, you are battling against others using it. I recommend at least a 5 second lead time if the item is likely to have a lot of activity. Life is too busy, and some items end at wacky times where it isn't feasible to be in front of your screen.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited October 2006
    Options
    univera wrote:
    auctionsniper.com

It's a cheesy way to win, but I guess it's still a win. I personally think sniping takes the fun out of auctions.