the LSI9's.

What is the best way to determine if I am asking too much from
the speakers? [I'm not asking to do something stupid like drive
them like they were PA's] I'm just a bit nervous about pushing
these speakers too hard.

When my meters are tracking around 5-10W per channel,
the drivers are really "pumping". I guess I'm just looking
for some reassurance that these speakers can handle
what comes their way. BTW, I'm using a 200W receiver.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
:)
Post edited by lsi9dwg on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    What kind of receiver? What is the reciever rated at 4 ohms?

I wouldn't worry TOO much. More power is better than too little. I'm curious though what kind of reciever you are using. \

What DB level are you playing them at?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    lsi9dwg,
    I wouldn't drive em to hard if there new.Give em some time to break in.Distortion is what ruins speakers not power.I'd like to know what your running them with as well.

They do require a stable amp,receivers are mostly better running 6 ohm load and up.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2002
    If you want to be on the safe side, you can always set the speakers to "small" when you really want to rock. This should demand less power from your receiver. Just remember to turn it down if you begin to hear distortion or compression in the dynamics.

Maurice

*edit* hey ATCVenom, How are the LSi doing? Are you hearing improvements since you got them? I hope they weren't too tight and I sure hope your rear loaded power ports are still attached LOL. I still remember your nasty post on another thread!

• lsi9dwg
    lsi9dwg Posts: 4
    edited November 2002
    Thanks for the "good" feedback everyone. I'm realizing that there is a whole world of experience here. I can only hope to be a "Polkologist" some day. I like the sound of that!

Anyway, I'm using a Sansui 9090DB receiver that pushes at 8 ohms. The Sansui is rated at 200 watts.

What is the appropriate process for "breaking in" my speakers? This sounds like breaking in an automobile engine during the 1st 1000 miles.

Again.....Thanks for the friendly welcome and advice. BTW, I was checking the section that has members home theatre/equipment. Wow.....some serious setups. DWG.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    That older Sansui should drive them just fine. Sansui published 125 wpc continuous / 8ohm, it will actually push right at 153 wpc / 8ohm at the point of clipping on the 9090db.

A lot of people would be suprised how little the difference in 10 and 100 watts of clean power really is. 10 watts on your v/u's is probably around 92-94 db peaks (in your room).

The gang in Austin (at the last Polk gathering) looked at me like I was high, when we were listening to Phuzs' LSi15's, very moderately, and I guessed we around 1 to 5 watt continuous.

When will we see the pics in the showcase?

Cheers,
    Rooster

PS, do NOT ever sell that Sansui, GREAT receiver.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2002
    I've got a busted 9090DB in the basement. What a beast.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

A lot of people would be suprised how little the difference in 10 and 100 watts of clean power really is. 10 watts on your v/u's is probably around 92-94 db peaks (in your room).

I need some help understanding......:confused:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Roger that HBomb.

Lets just look at facts, a 10db increase in SPL represents a doubling in volume. Agreed?

In addition, it takes double (2x) the (unclipped) amplifier power to produce a 3dB gain in volume for any given speaker.

See where I'm headed here (exponentially)? 1 watt, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 watts....etc etc, at 3db SPL/ a pop? The difference in 16 watts continuous, to 128 would be about 10 db, or double the SPL. What does that mean in our living rooms? Not a whole heck of a lot. relatively speaking. . .

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2002
    ATCVenom, I guess they take quite a while to break in. Glad to hear you were gentle with the ports. he he

RuSsMan, that's very interesting, I've been doing a lot of reading about power requirements and I agree that you don't need very much power(good power) to play loud especially for close range listening. You mentioned the LSi15 were running on 1-5w cont. Did the amp have one of those analog meters? How many watts did they eat up during loud peaks? I'm learning quite a lot about cont power but still have a lot to learn about peaks. How did you like the LSi? I don't think you posted anything about your LSi experience yet. How do they hold up to much more expensive speakers?

Maurice
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    Yeah Russ,
    we like reviews..........I do remember a pic of russ with a lsi15,it scared me for life.He was doing THINGS to the side of it........o man.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.