Review of LSiFx

polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited November 2002 in Speakers
I've been listening to my current setup for a couple of weeks, that is finally somewhat completed, thanks to several folks on these forum that were able to share their experience/opinions (Dan, still loving the RSX-1065, especially since I just upgraded its firmware to the latest; can't imagine that I can actually slow down the planned obsolescence of a receiver, since I was burned several years ago, buying the latest and greatest of Denon AVC-3030 and not being able to upgrade it to AC-3 from ProLogic later on...).

Anyways, folks, the LSiFX turned out to be a very capable speakers for audio-only listening setup. When I bought it, I know it's going to be a great surround speakers (well, since it was desgined to do exactly that), but I was very pleasantly surprise that on 5.1 stereo mode, it performed admirably...very musical, clean, accurate, solid bass...I was tormented between LSiFx and LSi9 decision for surrounds, before the purchase. No longer! I have to say that I am glad that I went with the Fx, especially since I have a rather large listening room (30 ft X 14 ft).
I also noticed that since I put the Fx on a 28' sanus steel foundation stand, the soundstage improved considerably...
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2002
    Yep, I love mine. I need to get some more analog interconnects to listen to my DVD-A in 5.1
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • polkatese
    edited November 2002
    try AVShopper (dba soundcity, NJ), they have a great selection of monster and audioquest at a reduced price, compared to bb,cc, or gg..and then crank out big phat band dvd-a....whoa, wicked!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2002
    but do they make a 6 RCA to 6 RCA? that's hard to find
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • polkatese
    edited November 2002
    Danger boy,
    they do have 6 to 6 interconnect, I believe by Monster, but not quite sure..I know it cost more compared to buying individual M5 pairs, which I end up with. Check with Rossano at SoundCity, he might be able to quote you one.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2002
    Lovin that Rotel huh.............And I bet your lovin the lsi's on it.It's such a great peice.I feel it's on of if not the very best sounding receivers on the market.I love talking about it.......if you can't tell,it's an intergraded rather then a receiver..........as far as I feel about it.Only the B&K sounds close,which is a integraded.Man lets hear more about a review of the Rotel and Lsi combo.details man details.share with a brother would yeah?????LOL
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    edited November 2002
    Dan,

the only perspective that I have is comparison of Lsi running on Denon AVR-2802 vs. Rotel rsx-1065. I noticed that the Denon struggle quite a bit, it lacks oomph, in trying to push LSi15. As I crank the volume, I felt that the amplifer lost its dynamic range, mid and high were lost some details and dynamic, and the amp became noticably warmer. In comparison to Rotel, soundstage and dynamic tend to get better as the volume goes up. The openness improve quite abit, along with warmer soundstage. All in all, no comparison. on DVD-A listening test, the Rotel blows Denon out of the water, but again, I think it's an unmatched comparison. Perhaps the 4802 or 5803 are more suitable for the comparison.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    polkatese,
    you would get very close results in comparsion to the RSX1065.....avr4802,avr5803,still at that level they don't compare in sound quality....but they are feature machines.7.1 built in,more inputs,etc.....I'd rather have better sound quality then features......ALLDAY
    Dan
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2002
    polkatese,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new rears. Do they give a strong mid-range compared to direct radiators? You mentioned you're using 28" stands. If possible, try moving them to about 3ft above your head. I noticed that with di/bi pole speakers, withthis type of set up, you get a great diffused sound. Clarity may go down compared to having them lower, but everything just seems bigger with them higher up. That's wat I noticed with my friend's B&W system after the rears were raised.

mantis,
    Rotel makes a model before the 1065 that's like a thousand bucks cheaper right? I know it has less power, but how good can that receiverr drive the LSi? I might purchase it this summer if I can't make enough $ for the 1065. If I get the lower model, I will buy an external 2-ch amp but when I finally get the LSi center and rears in the far future, can it still play the LSi loud? My main goal is to provide the best sound for music(2-channel using external amp). Home theater is not as important to me. The other model I've been looking at is the NAD T751 which NAD claims that it could handle 4Ohm loads with ease. If I get the NAD I would most likely go with one of their 2-channel THX amp(forgot the model #). So my question really is...How good is that Rotel receiver? Sory, I can't remember the model). The external amp would come months after the receiver. Thanks

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Maurice,
    the Rotel under the rsx1065 is called the rsx1055.It's newer.It has 75 watts of power all channels driven and 135 watts under dynamic conditions.It's fully loaded.Check this cool **** feature,will benifit you greatly,you can add a stereo amp to the main channels and move the internal main amps to surround back,how effin cool is that,all done via software.........super badass.
    You can get into it around 1200.00.Nothing and I mean NOTHING for this kind of money can touch it for sound quality.
    You ask can it drive the Lsi's.........ALLDAY.This receiver I would own myself,if money came a problem building my new theater,I would pick it first(or the rsx1065).This is not your tipical receiver we all know and love.It has a real preamp built inside,the rsp1066.It's exactly the same.They just added a tuner and some amps in one chassis.It's nice dude.You have to go hear it for your self.I'd also say put it up against the big dogs.I'll bet it smokes all the japanese receivers for sound quality alone.
    Man I'm getting all juiced up just telling you about it,LOL
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited November 2002
    Maurice,
    thanks for the idea, it's going to be a bit tricky to raise them that high, got to hang them on the wall, which I am not fond of, simply because in the earthquake country like Cal, I got to consider location, and these speakers are not that light (20'ish lbs each) perhaps suspending it from the ceiling (hmmm..)
    Mid-range is very clear, and definitely comparable to direct radiators (in dipole, at least). I am very satisfied with Rotel and LSi combo, no wonder Dan is always so juiced up when he talks about these combo :D I wonder if he makes commissions for preaching Rotel :p In all honesty, though, this Rotel rocks! Once I am ready for a real 7.1, I might add another Rotel 2 channel to drive a pair of LSi9...speaking of which, does the surround on 7.1 has enough contents to warrant a very capable LSi9 for a part-time role like that? unless I can extend the 5.1 stereo mode to include 7.1, then it might be worthwhile, what do you think, mr. Mantis?
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    polkatese,
    I wish I got commission.....I'd be rich as much as I talk about them.....Lsi9's for surround back???well I'm not sure about that,I'm going lsi7's,they are wall mountable.The Lsi9's I would have to build a shelf in my theater for them.The lsi7's after I listened to them,I feel they are the perfect speaker for the role.

I feel Rotel running through my vains again........
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited November 2002
    Guys,
    I noticed that with slow break-ins on the RSX-1065 and LSi15 they are starting to sound warmer and more detailed. I've been doing a lot more casual listening (i.e. having the system plays for some time, more as a background music while I am doing other stuff) and I have to say it's very addictive. I recycling through my cd collections and they sound much more detailed..

Dan, you are breaking my heart with your verdict of B&K outshine Rotel :D I have to let Rotel knows that you have decided to sleeping with the enemy... ;) but you are right though, given the price difference, I could have bought another set of 1065 for my bedroom.

Last night I put in LOTR (EE), boy, it sounds awesome. I recalibrated my tiny celestion s-8 sub, and believe it or not, it matched pretty well with the rest of the LSi. go figure...
    You are speaking highly of the revel sub in the past, does it match with the LSi?