It's a wrap !

Options
mrbigbluelight
mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,312
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Well, I was at Walgreens yesterday and noticed that they have a whole aisle loaded with Christmas wrapping paper and decorations.

So, lessee......Oct 12th to Dec 25 is.... oh....

76 DAYS !!!

Geez.
Sal Palooza
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited October 2006
    Options
    They used to wait till after Thanksgiving and now not even past Halloween.

Soon it will be before the Fourth of July.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Are they actually selling Christmas stuff or do they say "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greeting?"
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2006
    Options
    F Walgreens. My drug store is selling Halloween stuff right now and some autumn-y, Thanksgiving stuff.
  • JSHRN
    JSHRN Posts: 22
    edited October 2006
    Options
    An early start drains my spirit.

I recall the days when Santa never appeared before the end of the Thanksgiving parade, and community decorations went up along the same order. Shopping began in earnest that weekend.

That delay created a sense of longing, of looking forward, of hoping. It taught me, as much as I did not want to learn the lesson, that there were things I had to wait for. While children (and adults) today may have to wait until Christmas to open presents, the in-your-face nature of marketing Christmas has made me like the season less and turned me into a Scrooge on more than one occasion.

Let's wait until after Oct. 1 to see Halloween goods. Let's pull out the Thanksgiving wares after Halloween. And please, can we wait until after Thanksgiving to push the Hanukkah and Christmas decorations and gifts? Those last two celebrations are far too rich in meaning to be trivialized by the fatigue that comes through overcommercialization.

snosaying.gif

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Columns/The_Fabricator/2006/08/31/Christmas_Decorations_Out_Too_Ea/index.shtml
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR803 7.1
    Fronts - RTi10s
    Center - CSi5
    Surrounds - FXi5s
    Rear Surrounds - RTi6s
    Sub - PB12-Plus/2
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 65-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV
    Panasonic DMP-BD65K Blu-ray Disc Player
    Monster Cable HTS 1650 home theater reference power center
    Nintendo Wii
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I've been watching them outfit some of the seasonal stores in the mall for some time now. They were stocking the Halloween store back in July!

For some retailers, Christmas is the only time of year they turn a profit. The revenue from 4 or 6 weeks covers the rent, utilities, taxes, etc. for the year. If they don't have a good holiday season, they could be done. These businesses are just trying to extend the season to generate more revenue. The cold hard facts of running a retail business.
    Carl

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Just wait until the preemptive Christmas selling actually leapfrogs the current year and starts hawking next year's wares. Some in the scientific community say the universe will implode. Better yet, some Native American tribes believe a giant wolf named Borstar will devour the moon....
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2006
    Options
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Just wait until the preemptive Christmas selling actually leapfrogs the current year and starts hawking next year's wares. Some in the scientific community say the universe will implode. Better yet, some Native American tribes believe a giant wolf named Borstar will devour the moon....

Did a google check on Borstar.

The main thing that comes up is some stuff on the "Border Search Trauma and Rescue teams.
    It looks like the government is using Native Americans (or "Indians") to man border patrols in areas that are controlled by Native Americans (or "Indians").

.....or so the government would have you believe.

Osama bin Cochise ?
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    Options
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited October 2006
    Options
    The stores keep starting Christmas earlier and earlier. Wait I'm sorry "The Holidays" because god for bid you call it christmas anymore. Philly wouldn't even call the tree a christmas tree last year. It was a holiday tree or some crap like that.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • JSHRN
    JSHRN Posts: 22
    edited October 2006
    Options
    From CBC News (Canada) last year.....

Merry Chistmas? Or Happy Holidays?

A Christmas party? Or a Holiday Party?

A Christmas Tree? Or a Holiday Tree?

The "Christmas" versus "holiday" debate seems to flare up somewhere every season – often when a city council or school board chooses to rename a thing, event or celebration to remove a specific reference to the Christian holiday of Christmas.

In 2005, the tinsel hit the fan when word got out that Boston was calling the huge tree it gets from the province of Nova Scotia each year a "holiday tree" on its official website. Christian televangelists threatened to sue. A columnist in the Boston Globe, who is Jewish, called it part of the "annual effort to neuter Christmas."

Back in Beech Hill, Nova Scotia, the spruce tree grower who provided the tree in question said he wouldn't have sent it if he'd known it would be called a "holiday" tree, calling the whole incident "a bunch of bullcrap."

"We're trying to be inclusive," Boston's parks commissioner told CBC News. But the mayor of Boston said he didn't care what the city's website said; he'd still call it a Christmas tree.

The whole fuss prompted the town council in Oxford, Nova Scotia to pass a motion banning the use of "holiday" to describe the Christmas season. "We’re getting fed up with the term," the mayor was quoted as saying. That generated a new round of criticism from some non-Christian leaders who pointed out that, while they had no problem with the term Christmas, they did have a problem with Oxford passing laws on religious grounds.

And so it goes. In a society that is increasingly non-Christian, the movement is on to adopt non-religious names and symbols for a holiday period that is unquestionably religious in origin. Department stores advertise their holiday specials. Many companies and organizations (the CBC included) stage what they call a "holiday" party for staff.

Supporters say it’s simply showing respect for the growing numbers who belong to religious minorities – an effort to be sensitive to the fact that many people are not members of the dominant religion. Others call it politically correct nonsense.

To be sure, North American society – especially Canadian society – is becoming more and more non-Christian. The 2001 census showed that 70 per cent of Canadians identified themselves as either Roman Catholic or Protestant. In the 1971 census, those two Christian denominations accounted for 90 per cent of Canadians.

What happened in those 20 years? A lot of immigration from countries where there aren’t a lot of Christians. In the 1990s, for example, 89 per cent of the immigrants welcomed to this country were not Christians. The 2001 census showed that the number of Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and Buddhists had more or less doubled since the last census 10 years earlier. Collectively, those four religious affiliations now account for about five per cent of Canada’s population.

The growing multicultural fact of Canadian life has made the country's policy-makers especially sensitive to policies – even names – that could be seen to be exclusive to non-Christians who, after all, pay taxes and go shopping too.

Many non-Christians, of course, do mark religious holidays or festivals in the fall or winter months. Jews mark Hanukkah – the festival of lights – usually in December. Many Buddhists mark Bodhi Day on Dec. 8. Many Canadians of African heritage celebrate Kwanzaa in December. Hindus celebrate Diwali – the festival of lights – in either October or November.

The "let's celebrate everyone's holidays" theme was the thrust of a 1998 declaration made by the city council of Birmingham, England. The city, which is home to many non-Christians, declared its Christmas-time festivities would be called Winterval. Critics said the council was trying to take the "Christ out of Christmas" and accused it of being overly sensitive. In the end, the name didn’t catch on. Birmingham's official website now has a special feature on "Christmas in Birmingham."

In November 2005, a staff member at Rideau Hall said in a CBC interview that a "holiday tree" would be put up at the Governor General’s official residence. "We find it reflects the traditions of many cultures and is inclusive," the spokeswoman said.

One day later, it was back to being called a Christmas tree. Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean made it clear that she'd always called it a Christmas tree and wasn't about to stop.
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR803 7.1
    Fronts - RTi10s
    Center - CSi5
    Surrounds - FXi5s
    Rear Surrounds - RTi6s
    Sub - PB12-Plus/2
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 65-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV
    Panasonic DMP-BD65K Blu-ray Disc Player
    Monster Cable HTS 1650 home theater reference power center
    Nintendo Wii